Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall 5.5.x.y released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by guest, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

2. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Re: Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall 5.5.0.1543 released

No info except that
    o_O

3. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Also does it mean unknown files are automatically checked against the 'isthisfilesafe' database and Emsisoft Cloud Scanner and the result (if a baddie is found) presented to the user before execution or does it mean you can choose to send the files to the cloud by selecting, right clicking, part of the prompt etc.

Thanks

4. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi all

Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall 5.5 veröffentlicht!

The following innovations make Online Armor 5.5 our best firewall ever:

Integration of Anti-Malware Network:
    Unknown programs are immediately cross-checked against the cloud. The Online Database contains around 4 million entries and relies on the intelligence of the cloud. Programs considered harmless are automatically permitted, while annoying pop-up windows and alerts are omitted. So you can totally focus on your work!
    New cloud-based scan:
    Our cloud scan, already used in Emsisoft MalAware, has been included in Online Armor. Even if there is no record of a file in the Anti-Malware Network, more than 7 million signatures mean that malware can be recognized reliably to keep your PC safe.
    Improved license and update system:
    Software updates are downloaded and installed way quicker. Moreover, Online Armor relies on the license system used for other Emsisoft products. Access our Customer Center to find and manage the licenses for all your Emsisoft products in one place. Your Online Armor license key will be automatically transferred to the new system as soon as you use version 5.5 for the first time. Unnecessary key resets when reinstalling your OS are a thing of the past.
    New pricing system rewards your loyalty:
    The 1-year license is 25 % cheaper if renewed once the initial 1-year period has expired and will be a further 5 % cheaper for every additional year you renew it. Long-term customers can thus benefit from discounts of up to 50 %.
    Fine tuning:
    We have added news popups that keep you up to date with the latest Emsisoft news and fixed several potential incompatibilites, e.g. in combination with Ad Muncher or WinCrypt. As well as countless minor changes for improved user experience and best protection.
    To get the latest version, just run an online update or alternatively uninstall and reinstall the latest setup package from the official Emsisoft Online Armor product page.

If you are using Online Armor FREE earlier than 5.0, please uninstall this version and download the new one.

Introductory offer: Pack of 3 for the price of 1 = 45 % discount!

Limited offer until February 14th, 2012: Buy a 1-year license now for Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall for 3 PCs at a special price: Instead of US $73.- only US $40.-. Buy here

http://www.emsisoft.de/de/kb/articles/news120207/

http://www.emsisoft.de/de/software/download/

http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/23-changelogs/

http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2012/02/07/emsisoft-online-armor-firewall-5-5-0-1543-released/

5. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

The Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network essentially replaces OASIS. Therefore it is available in all editions.

Both actually. If you have the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network enabled Online Armor will query it the first time it sees the file.

amn_block.png

In addition you can upload files manually from the "Programs" list. Just right click an entry and select "Scan Online". This will actually upload the selected program file to our servers where it is scanned using the same scan technology integrated in Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

6. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Thanks, sounds good!

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Great news :thumb:

8. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

Just got it, so far all is well. But I did not get the pop up about the Anti-Malware network.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Is it any lighter than the previous version(s) ?

Thanks.

10. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

Yes. I see none of the slow program loading that some apps had with previous versions of OA. The best OA so far!

11. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Glad to see the great improvements to OA. Keep it up Emsisoft.

12. gugarci

gugarci Registered Member

Well in my old XP Pro desktop since installing OA 5.5 both EAM and OA takes a long time to show up in my system tray during start up. Have restarted the PC 5x already to see if anything would change. But other than that all is well. Will do my Win 7 laptop after I finish watching the NY Giants ceremony. :D

UPDATE:
    Just checked my Window 7 laptop and on that PC EAM & OA start up instantly. For the record my old desktop is an old P4 3.2.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  13. ichito

ichito Registered Member

No problems with OA Premium on XP SP3 and with Free on W7 (32-bit). I think now OA is even quicker and lighter.
    I noticed that new option in Programs tab - "Contact Anti-Malware Network realtime" - is fixed as "on" and inactive...it seems to me that the earlier a similar option with OASIS was active and user was able to disabling it.

14. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Looks interesting. Can't wait to try it out.:D

15. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

This is mainly due to the switch from OASIS to the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network. The later is roughly 1000 times as fast when answering queries while OASIS often took up to 10 seconds to answer requests. During that time the system was essentially stalled not doing anything. You should also notice that the Safety Check Wizard takes a lot less time to complete now for the very same reason.

That is correct. The participation in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network is no longer optional for Free users.

16. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Thanks Fabian for explanations :)

17. Esse

Esse Registered Member

I did try this FW last night, I am looking for an alternative to Comodo.
    The reason I did was because of the new "Cloud" feature were unknown file are scanned in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network.
    But how does this work?
    I did a test last night with 5 or so new malwares and executed them, I never got that red window Fabian presented popping up, only a orange one that did not give me any hint at all if i should block or allow.
    If the files were scanned in the cloud I guess they should have been detected as the Icarus engine in Hitman Pro did find them.
    Maybe its me not understanding the "cloud feature" completely, but I am looking for something like the Comodo Cloud Scanner in their FW.

/E

18. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

5.5.0.1545 was released yesterday.

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm not seeing this option in the right-click menu on OA Free - am I missing something? When there are differences between the Free and other versions it would be helpful if you could note them.

20. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

Rightclick in Programs list. Select a program, rightclick and scan online.

scanonline.png

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the screenshot. I've played with it a bit and what I'm seeing is the "scan online" option is not always available. It just happened that with "hide trusted" checked the few files left did not have "scan online" in the right click menu. Some were TMP files which is understandable, but one was an EXE installer. Any thoughts?

22. ctrlaltdelete

ctrlaltdelete Registered Member

Victek123,

I guess the *.exe file is shown in gray color? if so, the file is no longer present.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Ah, I'll have a look at that.

24. ichito

ichito Registered Member

One question for this...OK two :)
    Why is it obligatory only for free users? Is it some concrete purpose? And next - how kinds of information are sended to cloud and what kind are given?

25. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

It was intended to be the way free users contribute to the further development and improvement of our products. But we will make it optional for Free users again in the next build scheduled for today.

There are 2 kinds of requests: Queries and reports.

Queries are sent whenever Online Armor encounters an unknown application. So if you download a program and there are no rules for that program and it isn't included in the shipped white or black lists either, Online Armor will send a query to the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network to see if the cloud knows how to handle that program. Queries contain a set of file hashes only.

Reports are sent whenever Online Armor encounters a file that is unknown within the cloud and whenever you allow or block a certain program or behavior. It contains:

• Generic file information like file name, creation and modification time stamps and file size.
    • Set of hashes.
    • The machine key of the system. The machine key is essentially an irreversible hash of certain system information. It is used by the licensing system to track license usage and is used by the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network as one method to prevent data poisoning.
    • List of behaviors that Online Armor observed during the programs execution.
    • Whether or not you decided to trust the application.
    • Whether or not you decided to allow a specific behavior.
    • The file's version information.
    • The file's digital certificate information.
    • The file's imported and exported DLL functions.
    • If the file is an installer the report will include list of installed files (file names only).

Hope that answers both of your questions :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.