Firefox and guard.exe - High CPU usage

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Montoya, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montoya

Montoya Registered Member

Switching tabs in Firefox 2.0.0.1 results in a high CPU load (90-98%) of guard.exe. This high CPU load keeps on going for at least 10 seconds (and slows down my system) until dropping down to 0.

With Ewido 4.0 I didn't had any problems with the high CPU load in Firefox when switching tabs, but after the update to AVG Anti Spyware I noticed that my system was slower browsing with Firefox.

I have 3 PC's running with NOD32 and AVG Antispyware 7.5, and 2 PC's suffer from the high CPU load. Those 2 PC's are the slowest of the 3, running with Celeron1400 CPU's combined with 512MB and 1GB of RAM. My Laptop is an Intel Core Duo T2300 with 1GB of RAM and this machine doesn't suffer from the high CPU load.

Update:
    Switching back to Firefox 1.5.0.9 results in NO CPU load (it remains 0 !!!) when switching tabs !!!
    So AVG Anti Spyware 7.5.0.50 works OK with Firefox 1.5.0.9 :D

But what is the problem with AVG Anti Spyware 7.5.0.50 combined with Firefox 2.0.0.1 ??!! o_O

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  2. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Dont know why you are getting this high output of CPU, I just opened firefox,while still having IE7 open,and tried to replicate your problem:

guard.exe 11,980k

avgas.exe 10,028k

I'm going to take a guess here,but I might be wrong. Do you have Spy Sweeper installed? I used to have it installed, then i swapped to AVG Anti- Spyware ,and all my cpu's have dropped dramatically :ninja:

NOD32 used to read as high as 47,000k now it reads 21,000
    Outpost used to read as high as 80,000k, now it reads 37,00k :ninja:

3. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

I got the exact some problem last week,but i dont need to swap tabs just starting up firefox causes my problem, then for some reason it went away,then this morning turned on my pc and i can't use firefox getting gaurd stuck at 99% cpu again very strange.

Ive had to resort to using IE to type this if someone else is getting the gaurd stuck at 99% it cant be an isolated incident on my pc must be some incompatability with firefox maybe,though ive never had a problem before.

4. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

We'll investigate in this problem it was sheduled for investigation and hopefully for a fix in the next release where we're working on atm

Regards,
    Vinzenz

5. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

Any eta on the release of next build,few weeks or few months.

I ask because i cant use firefox and i hate using ie7 no adblock, non script and others,also i noticed it happens when using my internet temporary file cleaner's like crap cleaner or cleanup windows.

If it's a few months i'll uninstall and cut my loses even though i got 11 months left on my renew,need firefox back soon.

6. btman

btman Registered Member

Sometimes this happens to me... But it's after I close AVG Anti-spyware completely... but for some reason avgas is still open... and it goes really high like that.

7. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

Can i at least get a reply to my post as when the eta to the next release is as i got a paid version of this software.

I see some ewido/avg rep replies to choice post but not all,all i ask is a date as when the it will be fixed or am i asking to much.

Ive had to uninstall avg antispyware so i can use firefox again

All i ask for is for an answer to a problem which you admitted to in an earlier reply

thanks

8. btman

btman Registered Member

For my issue which is with avgas.exe ... AVG.png

I have AVG free edition, with no guard... and I have it X while AVG was open... Meaning it should have closed completely.

9. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

I am sorry. We can currently give no eta since we don't know by ourselves when we'll have finished the next release.

But we'll release as soon it is really possible. We have to fix some more things and have to make it compatible to Windows Vista.

Regards,
    Vinzenz

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Try Proxomitron with Sidki or Grypens filterset. It provides bullet proof adblocking and popup
    control. It makes IE7 almost as great as Firefox. Get both here about 2/3rd's fo the way down the menu : http://www.castlecops.com/forums.html..:cool:

11. guest

guest Guest

Question to Ewido Representative - Ewido Please Respond

I posted the below question a few days ago, but no Ewido representative has responded. Therefore, I am re-posting it now.

Dear Ewido Representative,

Can you please advise if the issue referred to in thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=913711 has been fixed in the current version/build of Ewido AVG Anti Spyware?

Thank you,

Chris

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

13. guest

guest Guest

Dear Ewido Representative,

This is the third time I have asked this question and gotten no response. All I am asking is for you to indicate if a problem with your software (which you admitted to) has been fixed. A simple yes or no answer would suffice.

Is anybody else having problems like this getting Ewido to respond. Is this indicative of how they treat their customers?

BELOW IS THE QUESTION I HAVE NOW ASKED THREE TIMES WITH NO RESPONSE

Can you please advise if the issue referred to in thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=913711 has been fixed in the current version/build of Ewido AVG Anti Spyware?

Thank you,

Chris

14. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Same problem here. It takes almost 2min's for Firefox to load. My issue seems to be related to guard.exe using ~45% CPU while FF uses about the same. This is an on again, off again issue, but lately it's become a real pain in the ass.

...screamer

15. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

My AVG Internet Security Suite didn't seem to have this problem, so it must then be the Guard exe as it isn't used by the Antispyware Component in the Suite. I don't think this helps anything, but I just thought you should know. I have recently sent a Support Ticket to Grisoft about whether or not the AntiSpyware Component uses Heuristic detection in RealTime, and they immediately responded with a confirmation. Have you sent anything to support about your problem?

16. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Thanks Duke,

No, initially I rely on the forums for help. If I can't get an issue resolved here, I will submit a tkt.

...screamer

17. btman

btman Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.