Backing up WIndows [ATI 10 Home]

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ayush, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayush

Ayush Registered Member

I just installed windows+some basic things. I want to backup the Windows partition (2.04 gb used) so that i can restore the working windows in case of [I want to start over, Unbootable Windows, new hard disk.]

The question is how ? I dont want to backup the full HD. I created an image :
    Start ATI 10 trial > Backup > My Computer > Select C Partition > Store the image on a partition.
    Is this all. Can i now make a rescue CD and if something goes wrong, i can restore the bootable windows ? Or, is there something else.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

If you want to be able to restore a BOOTABLE windows you must select DISK which automatically selects the partition and MBR.

Attached Files:

3. dld

dld Registered Member

Ayush.. If you put a tick mark next to Disk 1 as suggested, and if you have more than one partition, on restore you will get a screen like the following:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6503/screenshot029rq2.jpg

If you wish to restore only your Windows partition, you tick that box only. If you want to add the MBR, you have the option of adding other partition(s) further on before you finally click on Proceed. If you want to restore everything, you tick the box next to Disk 1.

4. Ayush

Ayush Registered Member

Thanks to both but i am still not sure. If i select "System (C:\)" at that step, will i be able to restore it from a bootable media and run windows.
    Lets take an example :
    1. I created a image. I have more 3 partitions full of data so i choose only C:\ (Windows) because i dont want to backup data.
    2. I copy the image on DVD.
    3. I create a Rescue CD.
    4. I format the C:\ Partition.
    5. Now, can i restore that .tib file with the help of Rescue CD from DVD and run windows without doing anything ( not even a repair from Windows disk).

5. dld

dld Registered Member

The problem with your scenario is that if you only create an image of your Windows partition, you won't have a backup of your MBR. The only way you can include the MBR in your image is to tick the box next to Disk 1. But by doing so you're creating an image of everything on your HD. BTW, there is no need to format a partition before restoring that partition. In other words, step 4. is not needed.

Your scenario will work as long as there's nothing wrong with your MBR. If you're MBR is corrupt, restoring your Windows partition will not give you a bootable system. You may want to investigate programs other than Acronis to backup your MBR. Google backup MBR.

Finally creating an image to DVD opens up a whole new can of worms. You'll have to research that one to see how to go about it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

That's strange. Starting with build 3567, version 9 includes the MBR and Track 0 in a single partition image as well. I'm regularly imaging (with TI9, 3567) partition C: only - leaving out D: and S: from same disk - and on restore the MBR is there for me to include it or not.

Did Acronis abolish that feature in TI10?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  7. dld

dld Registered Member

You are right bVolk and I stand corrected. I'm using TI 9.0.3677. I just imaged my Windows partition and this is what I get on restore:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/785/screenshot053cg8.jpg

I'm sure this holds for ATI 10.

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

OK, that one is clear.

But the procedure outlined by Ayush in post #4 still needs some comment IMO.

Ayush says: "4. I format the C:\ Partition."

If you are restoring to the original drive (say, after an infection or if Windows crashed or to clean up after a program trial) there is no need to format and neither to include the MBR in the restore. You just restore C: and off you go with a healthy Windows partition again. That's what I often do. If the MBR was corrupted (an MBR virus?) you include the MBR in the restoration as well. (The MBR may also be restored on a second pass if Windows doesn't boot.)

In the case when the original drive died for good and you are restoring to a new replacement drive, Acronis suggest that you first partition the new drive into as many partitions as there were when the image of C: was created (their size being irrelevant) so as to make the restored Windows installation "happy" as far as the number of partitions met at the new location goes. Then you restore C: including the MBR and Track 0. (Though a user reported being successful with restoring C: and MBR to a new drive without partitioning layout preparation.)

In any situation, formatting a partition before restore is useless, as the restore will overwrite the formatting data anyway.

For both the cases above no repair of Windows will be required.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.