New tool ready for beta testing

Discussion in 'DCS Freeware' started by Wayne - DiamondCS, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Hi guys, hope everyone is well!

Everything is great here - we've been flat out here getting several new programs and the new website ready for release, but we've got one program that we'd like to have some beta testing done on before we release it on the new website. It's only a small tool - we've got bigger and even better things coming very soon, and we'll also have yet another program ready for beta testing within the next few weeks which is quite unlike anything currently available :)

Anyway this new tool ready for beta testing is called DiamondCS File & Folder Unlocker (yeah I know, I could've been a bit more imaginative ... :))

Main Uses:
    - Unlocking file or folder objects that are locked
    - Searching for files that are open or locked
    - Finding which process has a file or folder open
    - Listing all files & folders held open by a specific process
    - Listing all files & folders held open by all processes

Other Features:
    - Shows ALL File and Directory objects, including advanced file object types like "\Device\Tcp"
    - Right-click Explorer integration for easy access on-demand searching
    - Smart disk name detection (eg. "\Device\HarddiskVolume0\" => "C:\")
    - Shows both process and handle IDs
    - Supports drag-and-dropping of a file or folder
    - Comprehensive process list even shows parameters
    - Resizable display for easier viewing
    - Ability to show just regular files to filter out advanced file objects
    - Export capability allows you to save customized results as text files

Tested successfully under Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows XP, and Windows Vista so far. Windows 95/98 is not supported, sorry.

This program is FREEWARE.

Download (just 30kb!):
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/freeutilities/ffunlock.zip

If you have any problems please either reply to this thread or contact us via our website, thanks.

We hope you enjoy this new release!
    Wayne

Screenshot:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/freeutilities/ffunlock.gif

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Wayne

Cool! Many thanks for the heads up. Been looking for something like that for a while. There is Unlocker, but I do not really like how it is implemented. A bit too invasive for my taste. Will certainly give this a try.

PS. Can't wait for the upcoming releases. Hopefully you have something that builds and extends PG (one of my
    favourite programs that I would not be without). Better get my beta tester hat dusted off!

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Wayne

Been trying this and to date have come across nothing untoward. Are there any specific areas that you want trialled? If so let me know.:D

4. f3x

f3x Registered Member

hi, seams useful !

I would like an option to filter out some "default" handle.
    Especially <windows>\WinSxS\This.Is.A.Very.Long.Assembly.Name

I'd also like if one could sort by handle type (file of extention .xyz, folder, other object) or by file name

It would also be great if you could display if the handle is just plain opened or exclusively locked

Other than that it's a nive little freeware that seams to work pretty well on my comp. I'd have to play more with sysinternals process explorer to see the diferences as i seam to remember it have some similar features.

(Altougth it's very possible that you are more agressive on the way you force handle to be removed, as we have experience with APT, you try alwais harder to get hings properly against malware ;) )

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It isn't better if this tool show on the results item, the processes that are blocking some file, instead of we have to search on the process list?

6. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

You don't have to use the Search capability, that's just one approach that the program offers. You can for example right-click on a file in Explorer and press the File & Folder Unlocker menu to activate the program that way. You can also drag-and-drop a file onto the main window of the program.

The Search feature is just an extended capability, for example try searching simply for ".txt" :)

Another release of this tool isn't far off which will also include detection of files opened by network users, as well as files loaded as processes/DLLs/services/drivers etc - complete detection of all types of open files.

Cheers,
    Wayne

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I thought that this programs works similar to Unlocker...

8. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

After removing the tool, (deleting it) the options in the right-click context menu regarding to this tool still appears. Can someone tell me what are the registry changes made by this tool?

Edit: I found the context menu keys in the registry they are in: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder and in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  9. test4

test4 Registered Member

Very small, that's good. So far it seems to work well, but it failed with a locked folder where Unlocker found two more "instances" (or whatever that's called) of explorer.exe than this program, that were locking the folder. Deleting only worked after using Unlocker.

10. test4

test4 Registered Member

It happened again.Unlocker found a folder was locked by Explorer.exe (7 times), while this program did not find anything.

PID: 1980
    Process structure:1008, 1336,1712,1808,1812,1824,1856

Whatever all that means...

11. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

A couple of suggestions, if you don't mind. When using the Explorer context menu item, the data automatically pasted into the &quot;Search For' dialog box is the DOS formated path of the folder names. And when trying to run a search on this folder, it finds nothing. However, when you navigate to the folder directly, it places the full path / folder names into the 'Search For' dialog box, and it will then find all processes locking the folder. So, is there a way when using the context menu item to have it paste the full name into the dialog box? Also, if you are manually trying to delete a folder using Explorer, and with it all of it's files and sub-folders, at times you get error messages saying the folder is locked. This can mean that not only the root folder is locked, but some of the files / sub-folders can be locked, too. It would be nice for the app to somehow allow you to unlock all sub-folders and files at the same time. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.