Ashampoo firewall v.1.1

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Ghosteck, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghosteck

Ghosteck Registered Member

I just started testing this firewall and I must say that the eye candy is very nice,BUT it does not pass the shields up test.... So I think it needs more work..

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I just read where it is also free. I wonder why it doesn't pass Shields Up? Even Windows XP Firewall passes that. It does look cool, and it says it has 4 other features like system processes monitor, spam blocker, auto start section, and an internet cleaner. I don't know how well it would do on Firewallleaktester for out bound though if it doesn't pass Shields Up. I also read where it is not recognized by Windows Security Center so it can be used along with Windows Firewall. That doesn't sound right to me though? Has anyone here given it a spin to see if anythings changed. I'm now using SKPF with Application Behavior Blocking enabled and it's running great. It also blocks the Antivir Notifier Window when Antivir Updates, and that is a feature I wouldn't give up for Ashampoo, unless it improves.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I gave it a quick run,.. nothing appears to me to of changed since my last "trial" of this.

4. duke1959

I swear I wasn't going to try it Stem. LOL. I was just bored now that I'm truly contented with Antivir PE and SKPF 4.3.2, and just wanted to get some posts started here. I'm even finished allowing everything (I think) with Application Behavior Blocking enabled, except for the Antivir avnotify exe. I love not seeing that window come up anymore during an update. Anyway, I didn't see your post on this Firewall until after I already posted here, and I was actually coming back to edit it, and tell everyone that I just read what you had to say about it so never mind. I do wonder though, why a company would put out a problematic free Firewall like this if they want people to buy their paid version? Especially since Zone Alarm is already doing that. LOL. Just kidding to any of you ZA users. I better stop before I get into trouble, and you take care Stem. P.S How have you been?

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have been using Zone Alarm since 2000 and it never has been a problem on my Windows 98 machine. The antivirus program (McAfee) usually causes me more problems. I noticed when I shut down McAfee that my surfing speed increases (apparently it is looking over each webpage that I access). :isay:

It looks like Comodo has some issues with Process Guard and KAV from what I read on other threads. I am looking over the HIPS offerings and am wondering if I can just keep the Windows XP firewall and use the HIPS as my outbound protection? That may be a lighter and be a less resource use combination and the HIPS can be a better blocker of malware than just replacing the Windows XP firewall. o_O

6. duke1959

I really was just kidding ccsito. I liked ZA free and had no trouble with 6.1.744 until I used it with AOL AVS and got a BSOD. Stem found out that AVS caused BSOD with SKPF so it was probably that and not ZA Free. I did have trouble with the new version of ZA Free 6.5.737 as it would put up the same allow/deny program alerts on two accounts at the same time, so I uninstalled it. Comodo Firewall, which I liked a lot, slowed down my PC a slight bit, and SKPF 4.3.268 which is also a new version caused some troubles as well. I am using SKPF 4.3.2 now without incident and finally settled on this and Antivir PE. I also promised Stem I was done installing and trying different stuff, (LOL) and that's why I posted what I did. I'll also ask you what I asked Stem. How you been?

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.