Question: v3 for Vista only?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by NOD32 user, Sep 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Could there be any truth to the rumor that when NOD32 v3 is released it will be only for Vista?
    Or is it definate that v3 will also be for Windows XP?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It has to be a rumour, as there are millions of XP Users out there, and past history shows that Eset always make NOD32 backward compatible.

Cheers :D

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Moreover , v3 should be out before Vista is available for all kind of users in non-beta stage ;)

4. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

When NOD32 V3 is launched (by the end of this year?), there will definitely be more XP users than Vista RC users.

From business prospective, it is best that V3 can be installed on Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, XP or Vista. If possible, should include Windows 95 too. :D

By the way, Vista will be released only in January 2007 (or may be later).

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Definetly not. Even today when Windows XP is very used there are many users having Win 98, 2000...
    It will take some time before users will migrate to Win Vista.
    Anyway, Marcos can confirm it as if no misunderstanding to arise. :)

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Win2k is using pretty much the same core as XP. So it's not really comparable even though it's older OS. Win98 is 8 years old OS, completelly different than todays NT5 systems.

7. NOD32 user

I figured it wouldn't be an issue but since the question was being kicked around I though somebody should actually ask instead of just churning up the rumor mill.

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The final set of operating systems supported by NOD32 Version 3.0 has not been determined yet. As soon as the list has been finalized it will be made available.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Are you implying that the v3 vista only rumor might be true?

Ergo v2.5 would be for us not on the vista bandwagon.

Because if so, that would be terrible. And I'd start thinking M$ bribed/coerced Eset to do this.

10. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I think you're reading too much into this. More likely, the end-of-life operating systems like DOS, 95, 98, ME will be bumped - at least that's how I read it.

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I cannot comment on operating system support or system requirements for unreleased products.

There may be times when support for a particular environment has to cease. The reasons for that vary, but may have to do with economics (e.g., it is no longer profitable for us to develop and support something) or due to technical reasons, such as the availability of hardware and software for development, testing and support purposes.

I will, however, say that ESET has had great success in providing solutions to malicious software on a variety of operating systems, including those which no longer have mainstream support from the vendor, and that ESET intends to continue this practice in the future, wherever and whenever possible.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I don't think NOD32 3.0 will be for Windows Vista only. Most likely the initial versions will only support Windows XP and Windows Vista, and Windows 2000 support will be added a bit later....

13. FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack Registered Member

Windows 2000 support is almost the same as with XP. Vista has a different kernel (NT 6.0).

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

While I can understand Eset's desire not to comment on future release details, this decision will be driven by the market needs.

If you do a quick look at competitor 2007 betas or just released product requirements some still do support Win98. However, the majority of the larger vendors seem to be making the transition to support of XP and above only on the next product rollout. As far as I know, none of the vendors that I pay attention to are restricting their next releases to Vista only. Furthermore, due to the expanded hardware requirements and the currently reported pricing structure of Vista, it is much more likely that Vista will be adopted by most users and businesses via a complete PC upgrade purchase, which will certainly lengthen the transition window.

If you put these two items together, a Vista only model would IMHO be, simply put, a commercial misstep of epic proportions. I simply don't see that error being made. XP and above vs., for example, Win98 and above is a much dicier and cloudier commercial decision to make. I wouldn't hazard a guess on that one.

Blue

15. NOD32 user

NOD for DOS still works great.... ;)

16. Kryspy

Kryspy Registered Member

All I gotta say is..... no version 3 by the beginning of November when my subscription is up..... no renewal money for ESET.

Kryspy

17. Blackspear

And who's loss will that be :blink: ;) :D

:D :D :D

18. Kryspy

Kryspy Registered Member

Ummmm....... there's. I have access to other capable options at no cost to me like the new Mcafee Enterprise.

I just always chose nod32 and the pay route but I have access as part of my work to get Mcafee Enterprise.

The fact that they are behind on Vista compatability is just the tip of the iceberg for me.

Kryspy

19. Freegoo

Freegoo Registered Member

Well if your going to go to Mcafee, I would say it's your computer's loss. Mcafee isn't exactly computer resource friendly. ThePCSpy ran tests on various apps and Mcafee came in a smidge after Kazaa (with all spyware installed). Here's the link. But at least it's not Norton - yikes!

Why the rush for version 3 anyway? Version 2.5 is solid and light on resources. If you gotta have a firewall and don't have one get one of the freebies.

20. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Though it also goes before KIS6, which feels extremely light for me. McAfee Enterprise is way better than McAfee consumer, I would have to say overall system performance is the same as NOD32, better and worse in different cases.

I would say NOD32 needs some IDS or HIPS functionality in version 3.

21. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well any clue when version:3 beta-testing will be started??

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

When it is ready , but don't expect it so early.
    ;)

23. Blackspear

24. Zero Ice

Zero Ice Registered Member

Why oh why.... :( When....

So, as i can see, there ain't no vista capable NOD32, right? Guess then i'll (we!!!) will have to wait while others get their hands on work and build vista capable antiviruses. But i think that ESET will release a verrrry good third version of NOD32 so others will fall... :) Hope so. Just like AMD and INTEL, nVidia and ATi.

Just hope that NOD32 v3 will come out soon, it's been a long time since Vista RC1 came out...

25. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Re: Why oh why.... :( When....

Version 3 will not be out so soon . First we expect version 2.7 which will include Vista support .

Read the BETA forum for more information , there are interesting things discussed recently

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.