Dr.WEB questions, your expertise needed...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by marcromero, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I need an alternative to NOD32, it's just not working for me... I downloaded the Dr.WEB trial yesterday and have a question concerning running processes. I show 4 running processes in task manager, should there be two spidernt.exe processes runing? One under system and one under user? Seems odd to me, hope someone can shed some light on this. I would also like your experience with the program, pro's and con's. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me...

Marc

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

One is loaded as a system service when your computer boots up and the
    other is loaded after you log in as a user process. Its normal so no need to
    worry.

Dr.Web is very light but the on demand scanning speed is very slow. But
    you can fix it by scanning only recommended extensions. A very good choice
    without any doubt.

*EDIT*

It can unpack packed files and its updated very frequently. The update size is very
    small so you won't notice a thing.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's a normal aspect of DrWeb's protection against termination by malware, I think.

4. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Thanks guys, but I have decided to stay with NOD for the time being.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i tryed dr web the other day and i hated the fact that you have a icon in task bar for each thing and different interface for changing each part. get one inter Face and one icon in task bar and i might try again but intill you do your off my list

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

You can configure DrWeb to show only one system tray icon.Even further, you can set(from control panel) SpiderNT to not show tray icon at all.

tD

7. westlake007

westlake007 Registered Member

I wish to help you ,but I don't install NOD32.:rolleyes:

8. marcromero

marcromero Guest

As of yesterday, I have uninstalled NOD32 once again and re-installed Dr.WEB Anti-Virus. NOD32 has the worst update feature of any antivirus I have ever used, it lacks consistency and produces more errors than updates. I just cannot trust it anymore to keep me updated and protected. I have moved on... I will use my current NOD license to migrate to Dr.WEB.

9. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Appreciate it westlake007, welcome to Wilders.

10. Krond

Krond Registered Member

@marcromero: the problems IMHO are caused from your machine..... I know many people, they use NOD - including me, on one of my machines - and there is no trouble with the update. The update program of NOD is one of the best IMHO.....

You should invest in time to configure the AV and learn about it´s features, you´ve installed, instead of uninstall and install of many AV-Engines...... I am using Dr.Web, NOD32, Kaspersky, McAfee and F-Secure on several machines and there is no trouble. But i know about the benefits and disadvantage of this engines.

11. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Thanks for your comments, I understand how Nod works, I am not a computer newbie, but Nod's server problems are for real... and for this reason I have re-installed Dr.Web. It updates properly, which is very important to me. Dr.Web runs equally well on my laptop as did Nod, my computer was not the problem. Thanks for your help.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

but did you get it to chooose its own server?

or did you pick one server because it should find the best one.

i have heard a few of the servers are a bit flaky but most of them are find and they are getting fixed

13. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I ran Nod at default settings, to automatically select server, sometimes it would update, sometimes not, I had more errors in my event log then updates. I have moved on... thanks.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

fair enough...

i did try dr web in my testing to find the best av but as i said above i really didnt like the interface for each part i prefer one interface and if nod32 looks like it should be used on windows 95. then dr web looks like it should be used on windows 3.1 lol

15. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I hear ya! the interfaces don't bother me, even Nod's interface didn't bother me, but it's inability to keep me updated and protected did, I don't have that problem with Dr.Web, it's johnny on the spot... I remember windows 3.1 and your right... lol

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2006
  16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i like the nod32 interface nothing wrong with it really but if it didnt update for you then not good lol. i have gotten my av list down to four now. maybe three.

bitdefender 10 its great i love it
    f-secure 2007 when it comes out maybe depends will try final.
    and cant wait to try nod32 3.0

17. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Perhaps I'll have another look at Nod also, when version 3 makes the scene. Haven't tried Bit Defender or F-Secure. Being on dialup really limits my choices.

18. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Did you read Technodromes post above? You can remove the extra DrWEB icons and work off the spider icon just fine...o_O :)

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes i did but i dont know how to do that?

and atm im testing bitdefender 10 and if i uninstall it i will lose the trial

lodore

20. Technodrome

To loose SplDer Mail Icon:
    1. SplDer Mail Main GuI
    2. Click the log tab
    3. Check unable tray icon

To loose DrWeb scheduler tray icon:
    1. Open DrWeb scheduler main Gui
    2.Click the Options tab
    3.Uncheck show icon in tray

To loose SplDer Guard tray icon
    1. Point your mouse pointer on the green spider then do right click and go to control option.
    2. Click the option tab
    3. Uncheck Show Splder Guard icon in system tray

Done.

Attached Files:

21. Technodrome

DrWeb scheduler...

Attached Files:

22. Technodrome

Splder Guard:

Attached Files:

23. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I've moved on back... back to Nod32. I missed it, until the server problems are fixed I'll just disable automatic updates and update manually. Why is Eset so slow to respond to things like this? Anybody know? Thanks.

24. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Nod32 has a very helpful forum right here at Wilders, its right between DiamondCS and Javacool. Have you posted this problem there...o_O :eek:

25. marcromero

marcromero Guest

Oh yeah, the Nod forum knows about the server problems and so does Eset. I have a work around at the moment. Thanks Mongol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.