Creation & Validation Time?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by niteghost, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

using Build 3567 of TI 9.0 Home. and I noticed that the time needed to create a Backup is the same as a Validation of the Image. Used to be , it takes half the time to verify or validate an Image in the previous Version.
    Is it just me>

Thanxs

2. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

With v3677, I've noticed it's about the same time. But however, this doesn't bother me. I want a solid back-up file I can count on when I need it.
    "Disc Imaging" programs should take a little time to create, and to verify.
    I actually would feel better if Acronis would go slower. I'm not into speed when it comes to making an Image of my HD.
    My honest opinion is...the slower, ...the better.:)

3. MerlinAZ

MerlinAZ Registered Member

It runs about 1 GB/minute to create and about the same to verify.
    I've got a slow CPU, though (P4 1.6).

4. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

I agree with the "Slow" creation time, but Verify ??, I think it should be faster, since the Image is already "Created". Just IMHOo_O

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

The behavior I've seen is much slower creation for full backups and faster creation for incremental backups.

Since all TI is doing is validating a checksum, verify should be much faster than creation.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

I'm afraid that Howard is not entirely correct as sometimes backup validation may take even more time than it's creation. I'll try to explain why.

First of all, we need to know how the backup archive validation works:

- When backup archive is being created it is divided into 256 Kb parts;

- Acronis True Image calculates the checksum for each part and save the outcome into the resulting backup archive;

- When backup archive is being validated by means of the embedded Validate Backup Archive tool, Acronis True Image consequently unpacks each of the above mentioned parts, calculates the checksum for the unpacked piece of data and compares the result with the one recorded during the backup archive creation.

The above is the simplified scheme of how backup archive validation works. These steps require approximately the same number of operations as steps taken during the backup archive creation and therefore take almost the same time to complete. Taking into account that some storage devices have read speed lower than write speed, backup archive validation may take even more time than it's creation.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.