nod32 and zone alarm

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by kang0o, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kang0o

kang0o Registered Member

Hi all

I hope you can help me. I just purchased nod32 for my son's pc after his norton IS 2005 subscription expired, and nod32 was recommended by several friends.

I installed nod and restarted and the nod control panel icon was present in the tray. As I needed a firewall too I installed zone alarms free firewall to keep todays expenses down.

After installing ZA the nod32 control panel icon no longer appears on start up in the tray, but if started manually does stay there. Is this an issue? is it still protecting his pc without the icon present. As he is 13 and fairly useless (bless). I cant gurantee that he will start nod32 everytime he boots windows.

If this is a problem can anyone suggest a work round for me?

Many thanks

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have come across this problem after ZA was installed over a running AV.
    The only suggestion I can make (this worked on the PC I found with this problem) was to open ZA, and deselect the option to "load at startup" (I am not sure where this option is in the free version). Then go to add/remove programs, and un-install NOD32......Re-boot.
    On re-boot, ZA should not of loaded,...re-install NOD32 .....Re-boot .......Re-enable ZA to "load at startup", ...and then again re-boot.
    This should solve this problem. (I know ZA (all versions) will run o.k. with NOD32)

Edit.
    Snowbound posted as I was typing....maybe you can find a fix following the link given?

4. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I think I have experienced your issue with ZoneAlarm and one or two pieces of software other than NOD. My NOD and ZoneAlarm have always played nicely together, however.

I would just leave ZoneAlarm running as normal, uninstall NOD, delete the program files -- eset folder, and then reinstall NOD.

Edit - Of course, if that doesn't work, you will clearly have to try something more complicated.

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

NOD32 and ZoneAlarm Pro always co-exist smoothly in my Windows 2000 configuration. If I could remember, I install ZoneAlarm Pro and then NOD32. Both were able to start in the system tray without problems.

6. kang0o

kang0o Registered Member

Well firstly thankyou all for your replies.

I tried Stem's suggestion to the letter and untill I rebooted the final time all was well. But as soon as I rechecked the box in ZA "start with windows" and rebooted, nod didn't load again :oops: . I get the small splash screen then after that the icon doesn't appear. I also noticed that microsoft anti-spy doesn't launch either.

Is there a way of changing the boot priority so the ZA loads last? because it does seem to be the cause of the trouble. Either that can anybody recommend a different free firewall? As I have paid for nod32 it is the firewall side that has to give.

Thanks again

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have made a number of installations of ZA (free) over NOD32, but have been unable to re-create this problem. I am not 100% sure of how to change the priority of the service startups, so do not want to post this info. You can make ZA "depend" on the nod32 service, so ZA should wait for the nod service to start, I do not know if this will sort out the problem, as I have said, I have not been able to reproduce, so cannot confirm if it will work,...I do know that after adding ZA to depend on nod32, I had no problems. It can be easily changed if there are any problems.
    O.K. if you want to try this, you will first need to boot to safe mode. Once in "safe mode" go to "start / run" and type cmd and click o.k., this will bring up the dos (command) window. copy and paste the following command to the dos prompt:-

sc config "vsmon" depend= "afd"/"rpcss"/"vsdatant"/"nod32krn"

Then press "enter/return"

You will then get a confirmation. Boot to normal windows to see if this as helped.

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I previously used ZA free then ZA pro and NOD and never encountered any problems.
    Using Sunbelt Kerio now.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

As I mentioned, I have only come across this problem once, and this was due to ZA being installed while NOD32 was still active. I normally always disable an AV before installing a firewall, and always disable a firewall before installing an AV. I did, before my last post, install ZA onto XP with NOD32 active (made 2 installs with ZA free, and 2 with ZA pro) but I encounterd no problems on re-boot. (so I was unable to reproduce the problem)
    Maybe kang0o should just try another firewall,

10. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

11. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

Just a shot in the dark, but did you do a complete removal of all entries for Norton or just a simple uninstall? Sometimes entries left behind from another AV and firewall can cause problems.

Sorry, don't have the link off hand but you might want to check Symantec's site for instructions.

12. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

13. kang0o

kang0o Registered Member

Thanks again for all your continued support. I had a night off last night so resorted to the old faithfull way ( post it note stuck to his monitor, launch ZA after boot!) lol.

will try Stem's safe mode depend thing shortly. Failing that will try the other firewall.

Will let you know the outcome later.

EDIT: I did use the NRT tool for removing norton and deleted all symantec reg keys too.

14. kang0o

kang0o Registered Member

Stem the cmd entry didn't work for me. Is it safe to leave it? or do i need to change it back to how it was? If so can you tell me how please.

I installed the evaluation version of Kerio and YIPEE!! all is well, nod32 icon is in the tray, so is MS anti-spy icon. The world is a pretty place again :D .

Thanks for all your help everyone, especially you Stem top man :cool: .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.