BSPlayer intallation with adware??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Nitemare, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitemare

Nitemare Registered Member

I was downloading bsplayer139.829.exe (from original site) and Nod32 (2.50.39) has detected "Win32/Adware.WhenUvvsn" adware in installation file.
    Is that true or a false positive??
    As far I know BSPlayer hasn't any adware...

EDIT: YES, I have started BSPlayer installation and now it has an adware... bad news!!! and bad for webtech!!!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  2. majorgeek

majorgeek Banned

This is a great video player, and I have used the free version for years, but now that the 1.38.828 version incorporates SAVE adware, which is mandatory install, I cannot recommend this software to anyone. If you uninstall save, you uninstall bsplayer as well. The installation process shows you a special screen about the adware, but you have to press a button to read the licence agreement. Someone who is just plowing through the install process might not see he/she is installing adware as well.
    Be careful with this one.

BSplayer - great Save adware - terrible

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Seems a poster named Finnisher had the same exact thoughts as you majorgeek :blink:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_players/bsplayer.cfm

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, I still have the older version. :D No reason to change it. :p

5. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

I compltelely agree with you, pykko. I wanted to install BSPlayer on a friend's machine, but when I saw there was this SAVE toolbar adware, (that NOD detected, and denied download, until i deactivated it, good job guys :) ) I deleted the installer immediately and found another player software.

They just sabotaged themselves, I think, adware is not the way to make money... That's just sad anyway, when a good product becomes polluted by adware.

6. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

They are trying to push the PRO version, which has no adware/spyware, at least not yet, ;-)

7. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Indeed. If they don't change this is going to be their downfall.

8. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

a guys that goes by the name Tizio is try to convince people on BSPlayer forums that WhenU is a nice ADWARE and you should not be concern lol

9. Marauder

Marauder Registered Member

bsplayer well they can.. no more use to me.

10. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Cheers,
    In order to see my old buddy BSplayer in the dark side, I started to install the latest version. And DrWeb alerted me about the "save" normally. I deleted it with Drweb.
    According to my previous experiments with some other Av's and whenUsave, when AV detects and deletes the "save", installation was aborted. Or, if you uninstall "save" from "add/remove programs, the main software was uninstalled neighter. Like bearshare or flashget.
    But in this case, after DrWeb deletes the "save" it contiued to install BSplayer. And it installed, I can use it and there are no tracks about the "WhenUsave" in the computer. I made a full scan with ewido, adaware, kaspersky and bitdefender free. No save in the computer.
    you can see some screenies I put about the issue. 13th post:
    http://www.doctus.net/index.php?topic=1682.msg14932#msg14932

11. Nitemare

Nitemare Registered Member

Yes, the same for me with Nod32. I had to stop Nod32 to download BSPlayer, then I activated it. When installing BSPlayer Nod32 deleted everything about AdWare but let BSPlayer installation finish. After finish, BSPlayer is running ok and there is nothing about "save" in computer, neither in the registry nor in the memory nor in the hard disk... Good for Nod32

12. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

13. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Oh, then it is possible that DRWEb deleted all, Because I installed Klite Mega Codec pack just before that. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.