Partition has been deleted after Image Restore **PLEASE HELP**

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mskippen, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mskippen

mskippen Registered Member

I have a 250Gb Maxtor SATA Hard Drive with 2 partitions on it. "C" for winodws and "D" for data. After I installed True Image 9.0 build 2337 I created a 10Gb secure zone partition and backed up my C Drive. After a few weeks installing programs and games my windows started to slow down so this morning I figured I would just do a restore and get back to my original backup state. I booted into the recovery manager using F11 and went to restore.. picked the secure zone and selected the Snap Restore function so I could get back into windows quickly and continue working. Everything seemed fine and windows booted up normally but when I went to access my D drive in windows explorer which has all my work folders, pictures and the rest of my life on it I was horrified to find the drive had vanished. I ran partition magic 8 and it says there is 200Gb of unalocated space where the D Drive should be. I ran the undelete operation but it says there are no partitions that can be undeleted. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.. If i cannot restore this partition and get the data back im going to die. Why would snap restore delete my D Drive and how can i get everything back.. If someone can help me I will love them FOREVER..

Thank you for ANY help..

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello mskippen,

Oh dear! The infamous Acronis Snap Restore :p. Did you miss the warning in Chapter 1.5.2 of the True Image 9.0 User's Guide? :eek:

As you can see, Snap Restore will delete any partitions that are not included in the image to be restored.

This has happened to others in the past so, hopefully, someone can advise a suitable utility to recover the lost partition (Acronis Disk Director Suite?).

Regards

3. mskippen

Thanks for the reply I have managed to Recover my lost partition with a program called "ACTIVE PARTITION RECOVERY 3.0". This program is only about 200kb and fits on a bootable floppy yet it basically saved my life because I dont know what I would have done if I lost everything on my Data Partition. It recovered everything perfectly so I would recommend this program to anyone who like me doesnt read the whole manual before using a program and gets their partitions deleted lol.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Glad to hear the good news!
    I've never used the Snap Restore ( and doubt I ever will now :eek: ), but was there any kind of warning issued prior to the restore? Something like "Danger - if it aint in your image, it's gonna be gone!!"

5. Mark5

Mark5 Guest

Acronis is grossly negligent. It's absurd that a backup program will destroy data with no warning.

6. mskippen

After i clicked on the snap restore it did give a warning saying that any volumes not in the backup would be erased but for the life of me i didnt think it meant all my partitions because my data partition has around 150Gb of information on it and the backup file would be horendously large. So I figured it just meant the C drive partition (in my stupidity). So I would advise anyone with more than 1 partition on their harddrive and where the 2nd partition is used for data and movies/music as in many the case NOT TO USE SNAP RESTORE!!! at any cost.. stick with the normal restore method and be patient.

7. pod

pod Guest

Acronis just trashed my dual boot LInux/WIndows XP disk, I cloned one disk to the other, now both disks are non-bootable....what a piece of JUNK.

8. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I think Acronis needs to have a natural born english speaking person to look over their manuals. If they used the word "volume" and not "partition", then that is incorrect.

Another misleading statement to be found in one of the canned replies here is the one where they say:

Cloning ... moves the contents ... etc.

The correct statement should be:

Cloning ... copies the contents ... etc.

9. Mark5

Mark5 Guest

Quick Restore should have more detailed warnings, like:

You Currently have 2 partitions, and the backup image you are about to restore only has 1 partition. This will overwrite your 2 partitions. You should consider using the standard restore. Are you sure you want to proceed, as data loss will result?

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have forwarded all of them to our Development Team. We will certainly consider them and most likely they will be implemented in the nearest future.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.