How do 2 incrementals

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rkruz, Dec 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

I want to set up so that I have different full backup in week 1 and week 3 per month and subsquent daily incrementals for the 2 week period after the associated full.
    This is so that in case a full backup is stopped in midstream (it will delete the old backup then) I will still have a full.

But, how do I setup for a daily incremental for each full so that Im not doing two incrementals each day for each full backup.

thankyou for any tips

2. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Hi rkruz,

As I understand your scenario, a full backup is made at the beginning of week 1 and then incrementals for the rest of week 1 and all of week 2. Then a full backup in week 3 with incrementals on each day of week 3 and all of week 4.

I can't see any overlaps in any of the above. You would only be doing 1 incremental on any given day. An overlap would occur if your full backups were done in week 1 and 2, but not if they're done in weeks 1 and 3.:cool:

3. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

well..what happens is that the incrementals occur against each of the fulls each day. SO you get 2 incrementals a day. One for the full on week1 and one for hte full on week 3. I dont see any way to have incrementals only occur for the 2 week period after the full backup. The incrementals just keep running each day for both

4. Ozmaniac

Ah yes, I see the problem!

This will be a bit of a PITB to set up, but refer to section 9.1.3 of the User Guide.

That will show you how to set up a schedule for monthly execution on a specified day e.g. 1st Tuesday, 3rd Monday etc. It seems to me that you could set up your schedules like this... Full backup 1st Monday, an incremental to it 1st Tuesday, 1st Wednesday etc. for 2 weeks. Full backup 3rd Monday etc. That should do the trick.:cool:

5. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

I downloaded mine from Egghead. I didnt get a user Guide. THere is also not one that I can find that was loaded in my directory or on the Acronis site.

Also the help of the progams doesnt seem to have anything on this

How can I find the directions on how to do what your are suggesting to get two different backups going without duplicating incrementals.

ANy help appreciated.

6. Ozmaniac

7. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

thanks....but that still doenst explain how to have two incrementals running against two fulls in one month.

I guess the only way to do it is to write a batch file and Im afriad thats way beyond me. My only hope is to wait for the next version of that hopfully fixes this oversight

8. Ozmaniac

Yes it does.
    As I said, it's a somewhat (actually VERY) painful procedure to set up, but it only needs to be done once.

You go to Scheduled Tasks and select Monthly
    You schedule a full backup e.g. mybackup1.tib on day 1 of the month.
    You schedule an incremental backup to mybackup1.tib on days 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 of the month.

You schedule a second full backup (mybackup2.tib) on day 14. Then you schedule an incremental to mybackup2.tib on days 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and 27 (and also 28, 29, 30 and 31 if you want to cover every day).

You can modify the above to suit your own needs, but I think you should get the idea.

TI will run your schedule for the first month then again every month after that. Only one incremental is taken each day and you always have a full set of backups from the preceding 2 week period. Each mybackup1.tib overwrites the previous one but leaves mybackup2.tib until it is overwritten in turn.:cool:

9. adolikian

adolikian Registered Member

The strategy makes sense, but how to implement it in a manageable way?
    I don't see how to specify it to do an incremental on days 2-14,
    short of doing it brute force, creating separate backup script for
    each day of the month?!

I don't even see a way to copy/dup a script to dull the pain.

Am I missing something? There must be a better way.... :(

10. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

according the Acronis support there is no way to get around having two incrementals a day in order to have two fulls at different times in a month. and of course the need for two fulls in a month is driven by the fatal flaw in the software that will overwrite the prior full backup. <snip>

edited to remove ad - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Closing this thread since you have an identical one here and this one happens to have less replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.