The truth about GhostSurf, McAffe, Symant

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by treat2, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treat2

treat2 Registered Member

If you believe you can surf the Net, or for that matter find a Web Site that doesn't require any use of Cookies, then you'll believe that GhostSurf is being marketed honestly, and you can surf the Web Anonymously, and the Tooth Fairy is real.

In case you become confused about the product and the false claims it is being marketed with, just try going to the Web Site of its own "Makers", "anonymously" and see what happens.

If after that, you remain convinced they are just a bunch of honest guys trying to make a buck, here's a few more "dogs" for you:

The Internet Security Suite (for 2006) by CA, A.K.A. Computer Associates, or as we in the software development business know... one more company that never had an original idea or product to offer anyone, and REAL FOND of buyouts and firing the employees of the places they bought out.
    (I speak from experience, above and below this writen line).

WebRoot's New Internet Security Firewall product, and their new "SpySweeper" product, as well, for 2006.

We're talking about up to date XP Systems of course...

Wanna see a Firewall crash BEFORE it can even come upo_O
    WebRoot's Firewall is JUST what the Doctor ordered!!!

Wanna see an Anti-Spyware package that takes longer to come up than Windows 95 did on the fastest machine you ever even saw it installed ono_O WebRoot's SpySweeper is EXACTLY what you're looking for.
    Bring it up, and while your waiting, watch your finger nails grow longer.

Opps, did I mention you could do something else on your PC while you wait for SpySweeper to come upo_O? Perhaps, I forgot to, because you can't.

Whether your a male or a female, keep a sharp razor ready, you'll need a shave, by the time SpySweeper Ends, AFTER you initiate a "Sweep".

OPPS! I forgot to mention....

Why not get a few PH'd's while you're waiting for SpySweeper to terminate.
    Maybe you can even find a sucker to donate a buck to a charity if s/he can guess what decade SpySweeper will end. Personally, I REALLY could not wait to find out if it takes 3 or 4 times longer than a low-level format of a
    100 Terrabyte hard-drive, since I've not got got bucks to waste on buying or waiting for one of them to become available for purchase.

Here's one more WINNING Firewall!!!! It's by "Panda". It's got a real nice UI, and would seem to be a very reasonable investment.

Ummm..... Did I mention that Panda ALSO HAS a WINNING Q & A Testing Teamo_O Noo_O

Try the universally required download of any product that you just bought from a box, but PLEASE WEAR GLOVES before begining this procedure, as
    Panda did not include a file THEY require, when you attempt to download and update the Out of the box product for 2006, to their latest 2006 (sub)version, or "Delta", as we in the programming biz call it.

Want some more Winnerso_O

How about McAffe's Latest Firewallo_O

Ummm. Did anyone mention that before using it, you are REQUIRED to set YOUR WEB BROWSER Security Settings to THE BEST SETTINGS to let ANYONE hack your PCo_O

No.

Sorry, Musta been ....

What was I just say....o_O? Ummm?

NOT LAST, AND ABSOLUTELY NOT LEAST NOTEWORTHY, ....

There's SYMANTEC!!! YES! Infamous for it's Firewall and AntiVirus Software. My personal favorites for 5 years running....

Do you own more than 1 PCo_O
    Do you ACTUALLY think you know more than Symantec, and might want to block a FEW TENS OF THOUSANDS OF OPEN PORTSo_O Port 22 is a beginner's favorite for pre-teens with too much time and too few Parents on hand, for them to ignore giving a shot to let your ignorance teach you
    what a GREAT company like Symantec does for you with their Firewall.

Did I forget to mention that Symantec actually might block about a dozen more ports than other Firewall Vendors, that don't even bother blocking a single Port, but a fully willing to post a few lenghty idiotic suggestions on how to make your PC safe, while leaving open more than 65000 Portso_O

Hmmm.

DCOM!!!! Yes! ---- It has been, and IT REMAINS NOT ONLY SYMANTEC'S PREFERRED MEANS OF SENDING YOU UPDATES, AND KEEPING YOU UPDATE TO DATE WITH SYMANTEC'S LATEST FIXES FOR ALL THE LATEST THINGS YOU NEED TO BE CONCERNED WITH, .... BUT,

DCOM is by far, and by any Standard, by ANYONE that's been coding since 1981 on Mini's Mainframes, and during the past 11 years, Windows and Multi-Platform Distributed Systems, easy stuff, like real-time front-ends for little Wall Street Brokerages that do only a few Billion in Trades each year, and International to Nation-Wide Banks, that perform international Funds Transfers to the tune of a few billion a day, and use people like me to design, code, and lead a team of programmers implementing only 4 or so of it's dozen or more individual totally homegrown and customized communications and Recovery Systemso_O??

Well, what the hell would someone from NJ with 25 years in the bix know about DCOM, except that it's just one more of Microsoft's most IDIOTIC, HACKER-PRONE, and overly complex communications offerings for ANY System/Program Designer pr Architect to imagine as being, THE best way
    that a Firm renowned for it infamous Firewall and Anti-Virus products should not ony have implemented during the past 5 years for the previously mentioned purposes, BUT ALSO BE EXTENDING AND EXPANDING upon, as they develop other aspects of their Systems that need a distribution of data, between you poor suckers, and those REALLY "smart" programmers!

NO TIP ON THIS SUBJECT WOULD BE COMPLETE WITHOUT MENTION OF:

Zone Alarm Pro 6.0+ THE LATEST AND GREATEST Bombshell and worthless bit of garbage Iv'e installed, or at least a close 2nd to Webroot's "Firewall" that doesn't execute.

Yes folks, Zone Alarm Professional 6.0+

This product is THE DEFINITIVE PRODUCT to ENSURE ZONE LABS/BROUDERBURG, has complete and total access to every keystroke and activity on your PC.

If there is a house-fly with a knat on it's butt, sitting on your PC and you've got Video installed.

Zone Labs will know about it, long before you discover the dried out remains of the fly on some window-sill.

Zone Labs ENSURES THAT:

It has NO LESS THAN 3 DIFFERENT SITES that WITHIN A VERY FEW SECONDS OF EACH OTHER, ARE IN CONSTANT AND CONTINUAL CONTACT WITH YOUR SYSTEM, AND ARE ADVISED OF EVERY SYSTEM THAT YOU GO TO, AND CAN DO ANYTHING THEY PLEASE TO, via the Built-In Proxy - Server based Spying communication mechanism within ALL Zone Labs product versions.

But, you say, doing such a thing is "WRONG!"

READ MY LIPS, AND THEN RE-READ YOUR EULA WITH ZONE LABS!!!!
    According to their Nazi-ish-Brave-New-World-ish view of the World, ....

YOU are a parasite using THEIR SOFTWARE.
    THEY EXPLICITLY STATE, AND NO NOT GRANT YOU, the right to own the software, nor ANY RIGHT TO HOW YOU MAY USE IT.

Moreover, IT IS EXPLICITLY STATED in the Eula that they RETAIN THE RIGHT TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE USING THEIR (not your), PURCHASED SOFTWARE "AS INTENEDED". (To paraphrase the actual words used.)

HOWEVER, what I LOVE MOST about Zone Labs is ....

They generate phony addresses, sending your phony messages, to TENS OF THOUSANDS OF UNUSED Ports that NO PROGRAM OR SERVICE OR MODULE IS EVEN LISTENING TO.

I'sn't that greato_O You can count over 500 supposed "intrusions" were supposedly "prevented" by the same folks that you think you bought a Firewall from!

How else would you EVER BE MADE AWARE OF THE BASELESS IMAGININGS of Zone Labs, that you will believe that you "own" a "working" "Firewall"o_O?

Exagerations and lies, you say of these statements!

As I mentioned,

I'm only a lowly programmer that coded everything from Assembler, and COBOL on Mainframes and Mini's, to simple languages, methodologies, and Frameworks, like C/SDK, C++/MFC, C#/MCL.

So, I'm sure your suspicions are correct, after all, why would a CIO assign a PH'D Graduate with years of math and programming to be a programmer I would mentor?

I'm sure you know best, and this has done nothing offer you a slanderous pack of baseless lies, that are totally founded on suspicions of a paraniod schizo, in dire need of medication, and a rubber padded cell.

Yeah. Your right.

This stuff is just a bunch of bull!!!!! Don't you hate people that think they know everything!!!! GOD! Shut your FACE HOLE already!!!! Your boring me.
    I mean if this guy knows so much then why would he have bought all that stuff!!!!!!! YEAH!!! WHY!!!!!

Oh, just ignore him. He's looking for attention! He'll just say he had not used a few hundred bucks worth of "Firewalls", "Anti-Virus", and "Anti-Spyware"{ stuff before, so he bought it to find a good one.

WHAT A LIE!!!!!! I hate liars like that! don't you?

Hey Mod!!! Ban this guy. He a Lair and a Trouble-Maker!!!!!

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Can't argue with a paragraph like that... :D

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

The rant might have read a little better if it had been split into different sections or posts, that style of writing reduces the impact quite a bit because people get bored reading something that long (even just for the amusement value of it)

I liked the fly on the windowsill bit but maybe thats just my sense of humour

Thanks for the entertainment

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hi Treat2
    Sadly , this will be looked upon as a rant in a bad way . I read what you wrote . And I cannot argue with it . A bit sarcastic . Ya think ?!!! lol . Get ready to get hounded . I , for one , agree with most of it . Well put and pretty much on the money . For once , someone using facts to decide something in this forum . Very seldom does that happen . Your posting will be considered opinion . I already know what you are saying . More so than most realize in here . So , just know I agree with your " facts " . They are accurate as facts do not lie . I would like to see more of that in here . Got anything on an AV or 2 ?
    Good job

5. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Hi, thanks for pointing all this out I FEEL EVEN MORE PARANOID TODAY THAN EVER, thanks T;)

6. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Hmmm... this post comes off like a soliloquy by a schizophrenic.
    I'm not saying it's not true. The only product I have tried that is mentioned is Spysweeper and didn't seem that slow to me.

The slowest product I have ever tried was a beta (yeah, I know) of Panda Titanium. On a 2.5ghz 256RAM system it was unusable.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Treat2

I also got an enjoyable laugh out of your post. Only thing I might question is I didn't find Webroots spysweeper quite that slow.

Pete

PS. Did I mention I've uninstalled Spysweeper:D

8. Zoe

Zoe Guest

Very interesting point about Zonelabs can you elaborate on this a bit more because a lot of people are using their free version (luckily not me).

9. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

treat2

Nice story, lots of nice facts, you must feel better now that
    you wrote this..

A strange thing happened with my translator program
    it became hot, and lots of strange characters where jumping up and down.

but perhaps this is because i stopped when it tried to phone-home

translated to: sluberkomika (local sngagkia dialect) gave:

:D :D :D

10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Treat2 :)

Unfortunately your post will [and has] only produce 'amusement' value regardless of any factual statements that may/may not be deemed true by you.

Every now and then, nearly everyone "drops off the edge of the world" and has a bad day/month/year :eek: and I can appreciate that.

Your creds are impressive and if it had been listed [as a poster here suggested] in such a 'factual outline' with only a tad of sarcasm it surely would have gone a long way to giving people something to "work with", but as it stands it would not be taken too seriously, even if I personally do agree with you on some points as others have, a better outline would have taken readers interest far more seriously.

I am a licenced user of SpySweeper and very rarely use it....as in around once every 6 months, just to check....and it is slower to load than others on my fast system, but scans fairly comparatively for me.

As to the other issues regarding FW's, my only comment from a personal/factual observation is I don't like ZA, but that's *me*, others do.

Anyhow, I thought a better 'rant' would have produced a far better outcome for following posts than it has, but as already stated by me, everyone has a crook day now and then. :'(

Take care, TAS ;)

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Honestly, I had a bit of trouble following the language, but I do agree with what you say. A revolution is needed - take all the greedy capitalists, slam them against the wall and shoot till the barrels melt.
    Seriously, I have always believed that the big corporates usually sell mediocre stuff and that you can find better products for free or with smaller companies. You can say the same for MPAA and RIAA or whatever their names are, AOL, Yahoo and others. They all only want to make money. And you must hate them. You must hate their 'all within the click' approach, their 'enjoy your digital experiences faster and better than ever', their 'all in one' - firewall, im, anti-virus, data miner, advertisement, non-intrusive popup information center compiled as hta.
    But the question is what to do?
    You can grab a shotgun, but you won't get very far.
    The best thing you can do is ignore them. You can't fix this ugly world of money mercenaries. You can try to find your place in a quiet corner and enjoy what you love.
    The best 'fight' you can give is support the free communities or those companies you believe and trust.
    Mrk

P.S. Spyware Doctor suddenly started flagging 'dangerous' malware in my computers since the last 'undo-free' update of theirs. A coincidence? Eh? Windows Movie Maker is a dangerous trojan that hijacks your homepage. I only wonder what page was hijacked, because my homepage still turns the same... Right...

P.S.S. Have you ever tries p2p with ZA?

12. aux26

aux26 Guest

Ok, then who does make a system that can be trusted?

13. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Me, he-he :).

14. puddingalien

puddingalien Registered Member

I get the same exasperated way, treat2, but to be helpful
    please edit the rant, first list your experience and confirmation of it,
    then make the points without the blasting off. Get others with similar qualifications to support you.
    Then please include the other real gems that are acclaimed as great products, but, and I'm no programmer, but these things
    just do not work, fail tests they claim to pass, cause the system to run in the stone age, etc.
    You want change?
    Make a profesional point, expose it to the evening NEWS. Yes, real world, everyone sees it, NEWS.
    Also, false advertising is supposed to be criminal, I thought?
    First, people in the software community have to have, and be held to certain ethics, and the community needs to police itself
    and inform the public, or worse will just get worse.
    I've tried the best of this and that month, so highly acclaimed, and it is outrageous, frankly.
    Unless real standards are set and proof given and exposed objectively and profesionally in mass media, there will be no improvement.
    I'm just a regular user, ran into computer problems, read reviews, tried stuff, it sucked, went down the path and found it is all a sham and I can't get anything trustworthy, understandable, functional, so forth, let alone give my mom and dad something and say, here this fixes the problem, it works, no more mess. I'm certainly not the only one in this position!
    I have not looked at everything. Even if I did, I'm not a programmer, so I would not notice what would be obvious flaws. Even
    if I found something that seemed to work, how could I know, by myself, that it is not a sham? Yet, I have managed to detect sham after sham, supposedly recommended by professionals and users as the best, just at my own level of testing and trying to use! It really is a money-marketing mentality issue, instead of pride in quality. But, then, if it can be exposed, brought into spotlight, companies may have to change. If not, the informed public rejects them and someone who does it properly, with
    the right heart, suddenly rises from obscurity and gets chosen. Make a rebellion, and work together against the flaws of the establishment, presenting your own solution while publically exposing the sham that is out there and turning informed public oppinion legitimately against those that perpetrate the sham. Convince the majority to boycot these companies and their products, use what really works, instead. Tell the media what is really going on, and together present an alternative that does not do evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.