conflict with spysweeper and spyware blaster

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bkatc, Oct 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkatc

bkatc Registered Member

Just wanted to give a heads up. I do not know if anyone else if having this problem but I am experiencing lockups with spywareblaster and spysweeper if both are installed on a dell precision 470 workstation running windows XP-por. Versionbs are as follows spywareblaster 3.4 and spysweeper version 4.5.3 build 560 definitions file v555.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

At what point in time are these lock-ups occuring ?

3. Bucko

Bucko Registered Member

Yes I have the simular thing here. When I enable protection in Spyware Blaster Spysweeper will popup a warning that Spyware Blaster is wanting to change web page settings in IE ( 0190 dialer.com ) and stop SB from enabling and from there, SB will stop responding till shut down SpySweeper.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Do you mean 0190-dialers.com ?

As you may know that is one of the many sites Spywareblaster adds to IE's Restricted Zone. As I am not a Spysweeper user one suggestion I have is to consider temporarily disable Spysweeper
    or that particular Spysweeper Internet Explorer Sites monitoring point while you add Spywareblasters database or any similar programs database such as Spybot's Immunization, IE-Spyad....etc....which would then let Spywareblaster complete it's intended protection function.

5. Bucko

Bucko Registered Member

Correct, I meant 0190-dialers.com. That is what I did to enable protection with SpywareBlaster, turn off SpySweeper. I did not have this problem with version 4.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Could you please e-mail Webroot about this problem?

As a customer, you will probably be able to get through to them more easily. And hopefully they'll work on a fix. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. Bucko

Bucko Registered Member

Yes I am going to email SS support. I also discovered SS 4.5 will not allow SpyBot to Immunize either.

8. PhilipCataldo

PhilipCataldo Registered Member

I am having a conflict with Spy Sweeper 4.5 and Spybot 1.4. It just started with the update to the SS 4.5 version. When I try to open SpyBot to manually update or run a sweep SpyBot will hang up and not open until 5 minutes has passed and then it opens and seems to run OK. I did have a similar issue when I try to manually immunize that the immunize function hangs up for a few minutes before it finishes immunizing.

I have spent the last week corresponding with Webroot but they do not seem to have a clue on how to fix this. They finally gave up and asked me to contact SpyBot.

I do not seem to have a problem with SpyWareBlaster.

I suspect I will not renew Spy Sweeper when my current subscription expires. What good is a product if the people who create it can't figure out how it runs?

I am running Win XP SP2, SpyBot 1.4, Spy Sweeper 4.5.3 (build 560), SpywareBlaster 3.4 with 4949 items in database,SpyWareGuard, Ad Aware, Hijackthis,CWShredder, and McAfee antivirus 9.1 and McAfee Firewalls Plus.

It would be nice to find solutions to this problem but I think the right solution is keep SpyWareBlaster and ditch Spy Sweeper.

Phil Cataldo

9. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

same problem here, after counterspy i will ditch spysweeper too

10. onlythebrave

onlythebrave Registered Member

Hi
    I too am having problems with Spywareblaster and Webroot Spysweeper.

Infact exactly the same problem as Bucko. Did not have problems till a couple of weeks ago when I updated Spysweeper to version 4.5.
    If from reading these replies, it appears that the cause of action to stop this is to disable Spysweeper (dam, bought a 2yr license!) Is Spywareblaster enough to keep my system free of trouble?
    Although I also have AVG, and recently added Spysubtract. plus I run Spybot and adaware once a week)
    I am not sure if I have too many anti spy programmes, or the right one's for that mattero_O

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I do not feel anyone in the above posts has recommended dumping SpySweeper :doubt: .

You can either temporarily shutdown SpySweepers background or un-check SpySweepers IE Security Shield while adding Restricted sites as mentioned in this thread.

12. onlythebrave

Thanks for replying

(I did email webroot about this problem, this morning)

Ok, have unchecked IE security shield in Spysweeper, (should I always keep this permanently unchecked?)and found that 0190-dialer.com is already in the restricted sites in Spyware Blaster.

I got the impression from the other posts that Spysweeper wasn't up to the job. So I will keep it running then.

I am not all technical, so if a problems rears its head I am stuck.

Thanks

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The Shield protection is fairly decent and comparable to some of the other top tier of like programs. I'll only suggest what I did above...."temporarily shutdown SpySweepers background or un-check SpySweepers IE Security Shield while adding Restricted sites".

Nah....find you an appropriate Forum to start a thread and post about your problem. There are plenty of folks here eager to assist :cool:

14. howiem

howiem Registered Member

I was having similar problems with the SpywareBlaster- Spysweeper conflict and misreporting after installing version 4.5 (4.0 was working fine). I completely uninstalled Spysweeper, including all registry items pertaining to webroot and spysweeper - a few of them required changing permissions to delete - then Webroot gave me the link to the very latest Spysweeper 4.5 - the file name is sspsetup1_57842.exe, and it is version 4.5.5 (build 604). Before installing it, I disabled Zone Alarm Pro v.6 and activated the Windows Firewall and disabled all my other security programs. This time Spysweeper installed and updated with no problem....but it did detect SpywareBlaster with the following note: "IE Security Shield: found: _:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREBLASTER\SBAUTOUPDATE.EXE -- IE Security modification allowed at user request" - no mention of the 0190 dialer.
    I checked Spybot and there was no problem immunizing.
    I have all the Spysweeper shields enabled except HOST file, because Spysweeper claims it is too large....I use the MVPS.org HOST file ... but Webroot says they are working on a fix for that problem as well. (I'm not using the Spybot Host file).
    After running a sweep Spysweeper detected the EULAlyzer uninstall file (unins000.exe) as a System Monitor (keylogger), but I have been assured by Javacoolsoftware that : "The unins000.exe file is a standard uninstaller for the installer engine we use. (InnoSetup) Any program that uses that installer may end up having that file falsely detected by Webroot, so it's definitely something they need to fix."
    I have also reported this issue to Webroot in their support section under the tickets I opened there.
    I am running Win XP Pro SP2 on a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz Prescott hyperthreading chipset (848P) with an ASUS P4P800S mainboard and 1 GB RAM.
    I noticed that someone asked about keeping too many anti-spyware programs. As far as I'm concerned there can never be enough until the day that one catches everything, which is more likely to be never. My recommendation is to get as many as you can afford (including the freebies) - but check them out at www.spywarewarrior.com to be sure they are not rigue programs that actually add spyware. But no need to run all of them at startup, unless you have a lot of RAM. I like to startup with a couple that have the most features, and periodically run the others to check for updates and scan. Seems to work OK, as I never get anything except a few tracking cookies. Webroot's Spysweeper is excellent for cleaning those up right away. So don't be in too much of a hurry to toss the 2 year subscription. (No, I do not work for Webroot and have no affiliation with the company...I'm just a customer).

15. onlythebrave

Hi again

Well I unchecked Spysweepers IE Sheild, then went to Spywareblasters Restricted Sites - 0190-dialers.com was already checked, but went thru the process, and then eventually put back SS Ie Shield. This did not make any differnce.
    This is just an inconvienence, right? (providing with dont let it make the change)

Just got an email answer from Webroot- they said "contact Javacool to resolve this issue" ... So no help or advice then?!?!

Have just told Webroot that I think there customer support is severly lacking!

In the meantime if anybody has any other suggestions, please share

:mad:

16. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi all,

Here is my setup similar to howiem's: Win XP Pro SP2 on a Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz Prescott hyperthreading chipset (540J) with an Intel D925XECV2 mobo and 1 GB RAM.

I am running Spy Sweeper, Program Version: 4.5.3 (Build 560), Spyware Definitions: v 564, Last Updated: Friday, October 28, 2005.

I also have SpywareBlaster v3.4 with 4962 protections and my main browser is Firefox 1.0.7 though I use IE for Windows Updates.

A short note to howiem: the Spybot Hosts is not a replacement Hosts file, but an addition to the back end of your current Hosts file. I have the same problem with the Spy Sweeper shield for Hosts as mine is 1.2MB and requires that I disable DNS Client to not experience long bootup or ISP login times on the order of 3 minutes vs about 30 seconds. The source of my Hosts file is:
    http://remember.mine.nu/

I also have Spybot 1.4 RC2 (last updated 10/21/3005) with 2532 immunizations, and am aware that Spybot appears to be aware with javacool, i.e. SpywareBlaster immunizations. When I attempted to add 36 new immunizations with a recent update, only 4 took, so I now have 2536 while Spybot posts an additional 32 available. On immunization, it does initially report 2568, but reverts back to the 2536 from updating 2532, a net gain of only 4. I assume this is the SpywareBlaster overlap to which Spybot defers to SpywareBlaster (javacool). Hopefully, that is correct, or I may need to update to issue 1.4 although I suspect the same behaviour would result.

What do you think, Bubba? Do I need to update from 1.4 RC2 to 1.4?

Otherwise, I have had no problems whatsoever between SpywareBlaster and Spy Sweeper, and from what I have read in this thread do not make the same assumptions as the original poster and others whom have stated they have the same problem (hangup/lockup). Normally, when a IE webpage is in progress, I normally assume it is a hijack in-progress by some malware, and not a conflict between software meant for protection (like SpywareBlaster and Spy Sweeper). To them I would urge you follow Bubba's advice and not assume it is a problem with Spy Sweeper which in my view has been a top product which has eliminated many threats in terms of cookies that reappeared that none of the free anti-spyware products even came close to identifying, let alone quarantining or removing. It appears that threat protection from Webroot's Spy Sweeper is getting better IMHO - there is even a new release 4.5.5 with new features, although I tend to not update until I read the forums for any problems (I don't like being a guinea pig for a new release).

Both Spy Sweeper and Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta correctly notified me of an attempt to put a new entry into IE Trusted Zone for 1800searchonline.com (while attempting the immunization update mentioned above) which is in my registry from SpywareBlaster at both:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\1800searchonline.com

HKU\S-1-5-21-790525478-343818398-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\

Normally, I have no problems updating any of the programs while online, i.e. including SpywareBlaster, Spybot, or Spy Sweeper, and since I have not run a Spy Sweeper scan since last weekend, I shall now do so, since I need to verify it does not find anything amiss.

Cheers,

-- Tom

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since this is clearly a Webroot problem....I have taken the liberty to move this thread to a more appropriate Forum. As was mentioned by the programmer of SpywareBlaster....users of SpySweeper need to do what they can in conveying this to Webroot.

CastleCops is one of a few Sites that has a SpySweeper Forum and below is an ongoing thread where a Webroot\SpySweeper Rep has been made aware of this issue.

This thread---> Spysweeper/Spywareblaster issue

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Personally I don't care for SpySweeper's shields. You can use just the memory and install shields without using the others, and it seems to let SpywareBlaster do it's thing without any problems. You can always use a free program like Arovax Shield or Spyware Guard, or a paid program like Online Armor, and just let SpySweeper detect with signatures. I'm not seeing any issues with this kind of setup, and it's probably a better way to go anyway.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

20. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Why don't you simply uncheck 0190-dialers.com and remove protection for it in Spywareblaster for the time being, until it's fixed.:)

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Don,

That would be a good suggestion for users of Spywareblaster, Spybot or IE-Spyad if that URL was the only issue. Undoubtedly you are not aware that with SpySweepers IE Security Shield enabled it will alert the user for all entries that are being attempted. For IE-Spyad users that would be approx. 15,000 entries. One quick fix until Webroot addresses this issue is to temporarily disable IE Security Shield while adding entries from SpywareBlaster, Spybot or IE-Spyad.

22. Bucko

Bucko Registered Member

This was the last response I had from Webroot support
    Solved:
    (10/31/2005 10:06 AM MDT) open Spy Sweeper and click Options. Click Shields and click Hosts File. Uncheck Hosts File Shield and see if this helps if not you will also have to disable the Security Shield under Internet Explorer. This should fix the problem with Spyware Blaster.

23. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Bubba et. al.,

This message in two parts:
    1) Part 1: missing reply posted to my email concerning this thread
    2) My take on this thread

Part1:
    Dear lotuseclat79,

BuckNaked has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - conflict with spysweeper and spyware blaster - in the privacy & other anti-malware software forum of Wilders Security Forums.

This thread is located at:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=102176&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
    As I have posted earlier I spent the $10. to upgrade SpywareBlaster. My Spysweeper is the most current version. When booting up my laptop a Spysweeper window opens telling me that SpywareBlaster is trying to change my InternetExplorer security settings. It asks me if I wish to allow this, but strongly recomends me not to allow SpywareBlaster to change these settings. In the window the term "0190-dialers.com" is written.
    Sometimes I allow it & sometimes I don't.
    What should I do? Prevent SpwareBlaster from changing my InternetExplorer security settings or allow it to change my security settings?
    I am asking this question out of frustration. I have spent too much time dealing with this & lost money. Everyone on this forum has been very helpful, which is more than I can say for WebRoot/SpySweeper.

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    Wilders Security Forums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/subscription.php?do=usub&t=102176

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all

Part 2.
    I agree with Bubba's latest reply to Don Pelotas, i.e. to disable Spy Sweeper's IE Security Shield while installing updates to SpywareBlaster, Spybot or IE-SPYAD, and when reenabled if Spy Sweeper pops up an alert, just click on keep for the changes.

OTOH, if the 019-dialers.com is the only entry being added by SpywareBlaster, just allow it in Spy Sweeper.

I have never had a hang in SpywareBlaster (SB is passive and does not run) as was mentioned in post #3 by Bucko - the wait is from Spy Sweeper which is only guarding the registry from changes - just keep the change since in this case it is an entry into the Restricted Zone for IE.

I use all of these products mentioned and have never been confused about what is going on by Spy Sweeper since I am installing a new version of the other software definitions, and usually just get one alert from Spy Sweeper which I always keep.

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.