Infrequent Updates To Bazooka

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dog, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hi all, ;)

Does anyone know what's going on with Kephyr/Bazooka and the infrequent updates? (Why etc)

Also strangely ... their DB updates when they do finally happen are smaller than they use to be ... now they're commonly only for one or two items, (since about Aug 2004)

The last DB update was 17 Days ago. :'(

TIA

Steve

2. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i didn't even realize it til you mentioned it. maybe there's a new version coming out? hope so, i like bazooka because of how small and fast it is.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have noticed the same thing -- namely, that Bazooka updates are getting rare & small.

As far as I know, any malware catcher is only as good as its signatures. If a given program isn't supported by people sending in new malware specimens, it falls behind the others. Thus, for an anti-malware program to get stronger, it needs a combination of *contacts*, helpful folks, & good will.

My donation to Bazooka was never acknowledged. I sent a message asking a question, but no reply ever came. So much for cultivating good will. But -- to be charitable -- perhaps the fellow is sick, or on vacation, or otherwise busy at the moment. I hope the fellow is okay & returns soon to active duty -- Bazooka has lots of promise.

I might also note that, if you click on Bazooka's help or encyclopedia files, it will open Internet Explorer, even if that is NOT your default browser. IMHO, that isn't a very good practice for a security program. (I had to cut & paste the URLs to my non-IE browser in order to access Bazooka help files & encyclopedia.)

4. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

5. INTOXSICKATED

bazooka's website says version 1.13.03 is out but i don't see where we can download it yet.

6. bellgamin

Worse yet, Bazooka's site's download link goes to download.com, which offers version 1.12 dated in 2003. Is there a download site that has a current version?

7. dog

dog Guest

Here you go:

~Snipped~ url because of the referrer issue and it was also a bad link that DL'd 1.13.02 -Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  8. INTOXSICKATED

thnx for the link dog.

9. INTOXSICKATED

heyyyyyyyyyyyy! it downloaded v1.13.02 from that link. although it says v1.13.03! :mad:

10. dog

dog Guest

Here's another because some may have issues with softpedia requirement for referers. ;)

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/bazooka.htmlThis link is correct ;)

Bazooka 1.13.03
    The MD5 checksum is - 52EA8A74EAA898CF48E895261E5DAD0C
    File Size - 727KB

Attached Files:

11. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I have missed something somewhere . I used Bazooka . Dumped it 7 months ago DUE to the infrequent updates . I cannot believe there is a complaint that it has been 17 days . My God . I was lucky to get ONE in a month . And that would only add one or two . You guys sure you are using the Bazooka we all know ? lol . I am serious though . The updates have always sucked since I had it . I picked it up the first time over a year ago .

12. hollywoodpc

Anyone care to tell me how many things you are protected from now ? 7 months ago , it was up to 513 . Thank you in advance . I want to see how far they have come .

13. INTOXSICKATED

got it now! hollywood: i downloaded bazooka quite some time ago after running ad-aware and spybot s&d for months. bazooka picked up two things that the other two had missed. since it uses virtually no resources and scans in like 2 seconds, i've always kept it just for the hell of it. keep in mind, it's not my only source of defense, just something i go to every now and then. by the way it says 548 object we are protected from.

14. dog

dog Guest

Hollywood, if you don't like it, don't use it.

IMHO it's a nice scanner to add to the arsenal and have onboard. ;)

Steve

BTW - 548 items in the DB ;)

15. hollywoodpc

I never said I did not like it . And thanks for telling me that I do not have to use it . I don't as you can see . I was being nice and only saying they were always slow . I hope you can help me even more later Dog . Thanks

16. dog

dog Guest

:rolleyes: - Well you were just griping if you check the update log - http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html#allnews & the archived log - http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/oldnews.phtml , you comment is rather unfounded.

Even your comment about the DB is a little off ... as the number in any DB isn't always reflective of what something detects, and some products count all traces separately and some do not ... so it's a little like comparing apples and oranges in that regard. ;)

What did you expect us to take from your comment? ... other than you just bashing it. :doubt:

Steve

17. hollywoodpc

Sorry you took it that way . And griping ? Yopur definitions are a little screrwed . No need for you to be so hateful .

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  18. dog

dog Guest

Nice Language :rolleyes: - Thanks I'm sure we all appreciate it ;)

Grow UP! :rolleyes:

Have a Nice Evening. ;) :)

Steve

19. hollywoodpc

Thank you Intox . That was helpful . I was very curious as to the numbers .

20. INTOXSICKATED

keep in mind that what dog says here is true, don't pay attention to the numbers.

21. hollywoodpc

I never have . You too , misunderstand . It i not the numbers per se' . It is the fact of having a certain number 7 months ago and now seeing what they have today . The numbers are not the end all . I understand that . I was getting maybe on update , maybe 2 , in a month . And when they came , they added one or two . I still do not get that . But , I do understand about numbers . The 548 they have now could easily be stretched by means of the different off spawns they have . Naming of one coul mean protection from 500 of them . It was just the infrequent updates . This started with a simple complaint about no update in 17 days . I thought that was weird so I wanted to find out what I have missed because , it was the norm 7 months ago . Thank you again my friend . Always good to see you around

22. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Gentlemen, time to settle down, take things slow and calm and let's all get along nicely please.

Cheers

Blackspear.

23. bellgamin

Grrrreat link, dog. Thanks!!! Good boy (sit, stay) :D

@Blackspear- Umm, since you are a *global* moderator, could you possibly do something about the state of affairs in the Middle East?

....Hey, onlee keeding mon. You do goot verk, by gar. ;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  24. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Nope, but I can arrange for your Avatar to be hijacked ;) :D

:D :D :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.