NEW avast! Home and Pro beta Released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Technodrome, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Another reasonable option along "Abort Connection" would be "Allow Connection" (with confirmation box ofcourse). But for novice users only "Abort Connection" is a better solution.

2. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Nope, it's really just the "infected" file (stream, URL, or however you call it).

If you're referering to the "false alarm" incident on our own (avast) forum, well, this was caused by the fact that the Web Shield was picking up the "virus" in the html file itself. It wasn't blocking the whole site, just the html file (in fact this really seems to be a false positive - or the malware signature is simply equal to one of the URL's quoted in that thread, I'd have to check that to find out more..).

Vlk

3. vlk

vlk AV Expert

BTW For the (rare) case of false positives, that's why we have the Exclude URL configuration options. I think that should be sufficient...

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

No I wasn’t referring to the "false alarm" incident on avast forum. I was just curios. :)

Thanks for your replies Vlk.

tECHNODROME

5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

VLK. yes it was, I was trialing the Professional for 60 days or however long, I ran the update and then after I rebooted, was when the constant loop was happening. Sorry I didn't get a logfile but I might try it again later and see if the same thing keeps happening.

6. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

New Avast 4.6 beta is out now! :)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10806.0

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

What I have to disable with those Avast 4.6 Beta modules when I'm using McAfee VSE 8.0i as my resident scanner and Sygate Personal Firewall plus M$ AntiSpyware Beta? I have got some problems, my system is halted very often now even when I have disabled the resident shield of Avast.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

8. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Have you got MS Antispy running resident ? It caused me slow downs.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There is new BETA available (v4.6.586). Beta testers can just invoke Program Update in order to upgrade to this latest build.

10. Firefighter

It's v4.6.588 now, quite fast development. Avast 4.6 and Ewido 3.0 together, that combo is now capable to beat McAfee VSE 8.0i aganst my 3555 infected samples with total scoring 3292 (92.6 %).

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! 4.6 is enough for me even if it scores below 90%. Other +10% are common sense ;)

12. TAP

TAP Registered Member

avast! is getting better and better day by day and it seems to run smoothly and faster than ever before on my machine which its predecessor used to slow it down but now avast! has changed !!! I don't know why. :)

Hey Firefighter, did you see something (it's called generic name) as the following malware names in avast! log file?

VBS:Malware [Gen]
    VBS:Generic-Direct
    VBS:Malware [Encrypted]
    VBS:Malware [Script]
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {UPX!}
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {VC}
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {Delphi}
    Win32:Trojan-gen. {Other}

It's very interesting that all these malware names are automatically generated by avast!'s generic detection engine (something similar to heuristic) or it's just a pure signature or by some kind of special detection method. In my malware collection avast! detects trojans-like malware as these generic names more and more even some my own modified trojans.

13. iwod

iwod Registered Member

is generic detectionthe same as AH? ( in the sense of technology, not comparing their effectiveness / power )

14. TAP

TAP Registered Member

No, as far as I know.

I think the significant difference between both techniques is that, generic detection is based on similar sequence of virus/malware families while heuristics decide if something is unknown malicious activities based on the emulation results. This is not descriptions of avast!'s generic detection or other AVs' heuristics but it's just common descriptions, avast! or other AVs may implement by so may techniques but we don't know exactly about it since we aren't particular AV coders.

15. dukebluedevil

New Avast 4.6.593 beta refresh (Wednesday, Feb 9)

How to install it:

* existing beta users: just invoke program update in avast
    * users with regular (non-beta) release of avast: simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe . That's about all it takes.

What's new since the last ( 4.6.588 ) beta release (only most important stuff is listed):

* avast! now correctly works on NT4 again
    * WebShield should now finally install under Win9x
    * fixed WebShield temp file leaking
    * hopefully fixed the ashWebSv.exe crashes
    * fixed some firewall-related issues
    * ashServ.exe memory consumption is now lower even after VPS update
    * WebShield now by default doesn't destroy Range headers - accelerated downloaders work again
    * some error messages in avast now contain links to the FAQ section of our website
    * some more cosmetic changes (bitmaps etc).

16. dukebluedevil

Avast 4.6.595 beta (Saturday, Feb 12)

How to install it:

* existing beta users: just invoke program update in avast
    * users with regular (non-beta) release of avast: simply download and run the following program: http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe .

What's new since the last (4.6.593) beta release (only most important stuff is listed):

* fixed the problem where the WebShield couldn't display certain pages (see another thread on the forum)
    * fixed restartin of the WebShield providers
    * fixed crashes in the CAB unpacker

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

New build is available for beta testers. Use Program Updater to update to version 4.6.598.

What's new since the last (4.6.595) beta release (only most important stuff is listed):

* fixed the problem where the WebShield couldn't display certain pages (see another thread on the forum)
    * fixed the MSN thing
    * fixed the mem leak in Win9x

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! 4.6.599 RC (Release Candidate) was launched today.
    Alwil team has probably fixed all known bugs.
    Well, for me even the first 4.6 beta worked very good so it must be really polished :D

Anyway,current beta testers can invoke updater by running Program Updater.
    Other non-beta users can obtain special Beta Updater program here:
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10806.0

Happy testing!

19. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi Rejzor
    I know you are the guru on AVAST, and I have to say I do use and like it..that is my caveat.
    Maybe I am the unlucky one...lol
    I had the Home Edition 4.5 on my slowwwwww laptop working. Used the update to RC, and all hell broke loose.
    -Unable to load Outlook
    -Slow loading of home page
    So to end a sorry story......I uninstalled RC, and re-installed the 4.5 version and I am back to some sort of normalcy.
    I think I will wait for the final version, maybe then my luck will improve.
    Thanks for all your assistance in the past and hopefully after the new version comes out.
    Cheers :D

20. loser

loser Guest

Hey Firefighter! Do you have a new comparison ready of all major AVs? I'd like to see it. A link will suffice. Thanks.

21. Firefighter

Unfortunately only this.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I suggest you submit the issue to avast! tech support mail or join the avast! forums and post issue there. Alwil guys will be happy to help you and to fix possible bug/problem before final 4.6 version is out :)

23. vlk

vlk AV Expert

fredra, would you be so kind and post a topic about your issue to http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=15.0 ? We'd really like to have this sorted out. BTW does the problem disappear if you disable the new WebShield provider? And what operating system are you using?

Thx Vlk

24. fredra

fredra Registered Member

To Rejzor
    Thanks for your response..I will do what you have suggested.

To Vlk
    "BTW does the problem disappear if you disable the new WebShield provider? And what operating system are you using?"
    -The problem did not disappear when WebShield was disabled, that was the first thing that I did, with the same results.
    -OS is XP SP2
    Thanks for your input, and I will go to the "ALWIL" forum and post the problems.
    Cheers :D

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Version 4.6.600 released. It appears to be a minor version to fix some more Web Shield issues. You know how to update it ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.