How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi wdormann

Nice that you're still calling in again from time to time :)

Not that I'm feeling overly ambitious but I've downloaded the latest version of Bootable CD Wizard (v1.50z) and created a new self-contained TI bootable rescue DVD that works. I found that I didn't need CDshell and just used the bare minimum of files from BCDW as the rescue DVD doesn't really need the fancy front end and scripting capabilities of these programs. Anyway, here's what to do:

1. Back up your system to a second HD or partition with TrueImage, specifying a 635MB image size to provide the best use of space on an ISO 9660 formated DVD+/- R or RW.
    2. Create a Boot Rescue CD using your latest build of TrueImage.
    3. Install and run WinISO.
    4. In WinISO, select "Actions">"Make ISO from CDROM" (the TI Boot Rescue CD) and save the ISO image somewhere.
    5. Open that image file using WinISO and save the boot information to a file called ATI.WBT (click "Bootable CD" in the lower left corner and select "Save boot information to file...").
    6. Download the latest version of BCDW (I've used the German mirror site as it's much quicker than the Russian home page) and extract it to a directory somewhere. Whatever its location, I will refer to it as [TIbootDVD] from now on e.g. replace [TIbootDVD] with C:\TIbootDVD if that's where you've put it.
    7. Delete the dos4bcdw sub-directory and all files in the root of [TIbootDVD] except bcdwboot.bin and bootcat.ini.
    8. Edit bootcat.ini in a text editor of your choice and delete everything except the command "\acronis\ati.wbt ; TrueImage ; copyboot" and then resave it to [TIbootDVD].
    9. Open the BCDW sub-directory and delete all sub directories and files except bcdw.bin and bcdw.ini.
    10. Edit bcdw.in and delete everything under "[Options]" except the command "RootMenu = \BootCat.ini ; Root menu file" and resave it to the BCDW sub-directory.
    11. Create a new sub-directory under [TIbootDVD] called "Acronis" and copy your previously saved ATI.WBT file to it.

O.K. now we're ready to create the self-contained bootable rescue DVD.

12. Open Nero and create a new DVD-ROM (Boot) project.
    13. On the Boot tab, select "Image file" and browse to the file [TIbootDVD]\bcdwboot.bin
    14. Use the "No Emulation" and set the number of loaded sectors to 4. All other values should be left at default. (see Screenshot 1 below)
    15. Click on "New" and create a directory structure by dragging up to 7 of the TI image.tib files, along with [TIbootDVD]\bootcat.ini, sub-directory [TIbootDVD]\Acronis and sub-directory [TIbootDVD]\BCDW into the root of the DVD volume. (see Screenshot 2 below)
    16. Burn the current compilation. I strongly recommend unloading all non-essential applications from the taskbar prior to burning and setting your burner's write speed to a lower setting. This minimises the likelyhood of corrupt images.
    17. Save your Nero project for the next time and then all you'll need to do is update your TI image.tib files. Remember to also create a new ATI.WBT file if you update to a newer build of TI.

18. If you have more than 7 TI image.tib files in an archive then burn the remainder to an ordinary ISO 9660 formated DVD as only the first disk needs to be bootable.

Hope it all makes sense. It sounds a bit complicated but it's quite straightforward really. Heck, if I can do it anyone can :D

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2005
  2. -= K =-

-= K =- Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why a backup program that seems to be as full featured as TrueImage doesn't include the ability to backup to DVD. Ghost 8 allows you to backup directly to DVD and offers options to add switches for a completely automated restore disc. The reason I was trying TrueImage is that Symantec bought PQ and now Ghost 9 is actually DriveImage which doesn't include the bootable disc option. If the ability to backup directly to DVD isn't added to TrueImage in the very next update, I will give up on it and go back to Ghost 8.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  3. Menorcaman

But you already can!! Read the TI FAQs, User's Guide and numerous posts on this Forum and you'll see that TI can image direct to DVD+/-RW whilst running in Windows mode. Just make sure you have some form of packet writing software installed e.g. InCD and that the DVD is UDF formatted.

As I said to Blarg, this thread is all about creating a self-contained bootable DVD that contains both the TI Boot Rescue program and your TI image files.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  4. -= K =-

-= K =- Registered Member

I did read the FAQ and saw the info about using packet writing software....I really hate UDF formatted discs.. I have lost some quite important data on a UDF disc as well as having various reading errors. I won't ever depend on a UDF disc again.

5. TommyG

TommyG Guest

Your DVD idea does not concider the issue if the DVD is external USB. This method will not work because when the DVD is detected the floppy drive will go away. Need to copy all files to a ram disk then use devload.com (free application that lets you load devices after config.sys) so that when the floppy is copied you can then detect the DVD and begin the restore from the temorary ram drive. Using ti_dos will allow you to automate the process but I have had issue with the DVD getting lost when in middle of restore. I may have fixed this issue with an updated devload.com and loading the drive into himem, I'll find out tomorrow when I test.

Tommy

6. Menorcaman

Pardon? I'm afraid I don't understand where you are coming from o_O

7. pancho

pancho Registered Member

I found this thread yesterday during a Google search, and what can I say? Great !! I had recently purchased a Thinkpad t23 refurb that came w/no recovery disks or recovery partition. After creating an image w/Acronis I was knocking myself out trying to figure out how to put the boot recovery and tib file on one bootable dvd ( 1.3gb image file). Used the revised method by menorcaman and it worked like a charm.

Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised that additional sessions can be added to the disk. Thanks again to both contributors !!

8. ?rufftec

?rufftec Guest

just wanted to save thank you to wdormann.... you have saved me from countless more dvd coasters..... thank you for figuring it out..... I do notice that acronis sometimes don't list the folders right away, sometimes quirky but it works perfect......

9. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Happy to help! :)

10. Spqr

Spqr Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,
    Thanks for you well-explained way to boot from DVD with the TIF image on it. I've been trying it several times last week but it didn't work. I followed all the instructions step-by-step, but when I boot from the DVD, nothing happens after I see "Starting Acronis Tru Image" or something. Computer locks up. Is because of ATI or the CDShell?
    Thks.

11. Menorcaman

Hello Spqr

My modification to wdormann's procedure does away with the need for CDShell altogether and just uses Boot CD Wizard (BCDW).

Did you create a "Full" version of the TI bootable rescue CD and use it to successfully boot into the Linux based rescue mode? If so, then I don't understand why the procedure doesn't work for you. However, it's worth checking your settings for Nero's ISO tab against the screenshot below. In particular ensure that the "Do not add the ';1' ISO file version extension" is selected.

Regards

Attached Files:

12. tvenetis

tvenetis Registered Member

I followed all your steps on how to create a bootable dvd but nero does not see the bin file it only sees acronis and the bcdw file

13. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Some old computers have problems booting from disks (CD's and DVD's) and sometimes a bios update is neccessary. I know because I have linux on an old PC and it tooks ages to get it to boot properly.

Jimbob

14. wdormann

tvenetis:

Whose instructions did you follow? Mine or Menorcaman's?

Whichever you did use, try the other. I have not tried the latter, as my bootable DVD works fine. :) (If it ain't broke....)

15. tvenetis

I tried the other version of how to create bootable dvd and nero does not recognize the cdshell]\boot\loader.bin

16. wdormann

What do you mean it doesn't "recognize" the file?
    You tell Nero what file to use as the source of the boot image data. It shouldn't be doing any sort of verification.

17. tvenetis

I meant that after I select bootable dvd and I click open and brouse to cdshell and open it and go to boot it only shows me 6 files the boot.bin is not one of them. I selected open images and I also selected open all files and nero showed me that bin file when i selected it I got a message unsupported file format.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  18. wdormann

Follow the directions exactly and it will work.
    In the dialog where you select the boot image, make sure you have "All files" selected in the combobox, otherwise it will only display *.IMG files.

19. Menorcaman

Hello tvenetis

Using Nero 6, the only way I can reproduce your error message is to select "File">"Open" on the main Nero toolbar and then browse to the .bin file and attempt to open it. This "Open" command is used to open a previously saved compilation (i.e. a .nrb file).

Can you confirm that you're attempting to browse/open the .bin file from within the "New Compilation" window? This window should be displayed when you first start Nero or it can be opened by selecting "File">"New" on the main Nero toolbar.

Regards

20. tvenetis

*A friend helped me figure out nero and how to select the image but we can't figure out after you open the loader bin in nero then you burn it it said
    in the next step make a folder called bit and in that folder make 2 other folders acronis and boot and put the other files in there. Why would you burn
    the loader bin file first won't you want to burn the files together? confused

21. wdormann

Sorry, I feel that I've offered all that I can.
    Print out the instructions, and follow them step by step. If it does not make sense, then perhaps somebody else around here can help you.

22. Menorcaman

I'm afraid you've gone wrong somewhere. Don't burn anything to DVD until you've set the options for the "Boot" and "ISO" tabs and dragged and dropped all the necessary files and folders into the "New Compilation" window.

You can use wdormann's original procedure or my modified version - either one works fine if the instructions are followed correctly.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  23. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Hi menorcaman,

All your posts are great. I have a minor correction for your DVD instructions:

"15. Click on "New" and create a directory structure by dragging up to 7 of the TI image.tib files, along with [TIbootDVD]\bcdwboot.bin, [TIbootDVD]\bootcat.ini, sub-directory [TIbootDVD]\Acronis and sub-directory [TIbootDVD]\BCDW into the root of the DVD volume. (see Screenshot 2 below) "

I think that you will find that the bcdwboot.bin is not needed in the root. It becomes the boot information on the DVD or CD when the image is burned and is thus not actually needed in the root.

24. Menorcaman

Hi beenthereb4,

Well spotted!! You're absolutely right of course (about bcdwboot.bin that is, not the quality of my posts :) ). Will Dormann had included the boot loader (loader.bin) in his DVD \boot\ folder and I, thinking it was somehow necessary, included it on the DVD too.

Anyway, I've forwarded an amended procedure and Screenshot 2 to LowWaterMark and he has incorporated them into the original post #26.

All the best for 2005
    Tom

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  25. Menorcaman

Hello all,

Due to the temperamental nature of optical media it's sensible to verify a recorded image before we need to use it in anger. We could, of course, use TI's "Check Image" function but I'm sure many of you would agree, this feature is less than totally reliable.

An alternative is to use the freeware utility "Easy MD5 Creator". This can create a MD5 checksum file from files on your hard drive and compare that against the files burnt onto the bootable rescue DVD(s). If you're interested here's how to proceed:

CREATION

1. Download and install <Easy MD5 Creator>.
    2. Run Easy MD5 Creator, select "Create an MD5 file for an entire tree of files (recursive)" and then click "Next".
    3. Enter the "Base folder" by browsing to the folder on your hard drive that contains the Nero compilation for your bootable rescue DVD ([TIbootDVD] in post #26 above). Set the remainder of the dialogue window as per Screenshot 1 below and then click "Next".
    4. Browse to a folder that you wish to save the checksum file in, enter a suitable filename e.g. TIbootDVD.md5 and then click "Next". Easy MD5 Creator will then create a checksum for each of the files in your [TIbootDVD] folder and save them as "<filename>.md5". Exit Easy MD5 Creator.
    5. Create a Nero compilation for a bootable rescue DVD as per post #26 above but this time also include the <filename>.md5 checksum file in the root of the DVD volume. Burn the Nero compilation to DVD (R or RW), using a less than maximum write speed setting to ensure a more reliable burn.
    6. If your image spans two or more DVDs then just create additional .md5 checksum files corresponding to the files being being burnt and add them to their respective Nero compilations.

VERIFICATION

7. Load the bootable rescue DVD into your DVD recorder/player.
    8. Run Easy MD5 Creator, select "Open a MD5 file to verify that files are not corrupt" and then click "Next".
    9. Browse to the .md5 file in the root of the DVD and select "Open". Set the remainder of the dialogue window as per Screenshot 2 below and then click "Next". Easy MD5 Creator will then verify each file on the DVD (other than the .md5 file itself) against the checksums produced in stage 4 above. Anything other than a "Perfect" result indicates a faulty burn.

Note: This procedure can easily be adapted for images being created on a non-bootable DVD via the indirect two-step method detailed in the Acronis <True Image Online FAQ>.

Hopefully some users will find the above process useful.

Regards

Attached Files:

• MD5.jpg
      MD5.jpg
      File size:
      96.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.