NOD32 and Power Management

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mele20, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I may buy KAV but not until after 5.0 Pro is released in October. But then I might buy the one I am trialling currently. It handles Quarantine exactly as I want and that has been a big quarrel for me with Eset as they have never fixed quarantine. KAV doesn't handle quarantine like I want either. Hardly anyone has heard of the one I am trialling but it is impressive. I can see why those who have trialled it are buzzing about it. On the other hand, I might even decide to use a free av in the future. :D

I don't think I need my case screws paint marked as I have not yet opened the case once. As for the messing with the BIOS, I hadn't even looked at it at all until recently when I went to see what was set there for power management. Same with my 98SE box. I only opened the case once in over 5 years and that was to add more RAM. I never looked at its BIOS either for a long time and didn't mess with it when I did look at it.

As for running computers 24 hours a day vs turning them off at night and which lengthens the life of the computer, I know that there are no hard facts about it and about 50/50 split on which is best. I was talking about here in Hilo, Hawaii on the ocean. I just spoke with a woman when I went running this afternoon who lives in the condo a mile south of mine also right on the ocean. She has Dells also and no air conditioning and she immediately agreed that you cannot ever turn off a computer in Hilo especially if you live on the ocean as that just brings on the rust really fast. She's no expert nor am I, but I sure have talked to a number of people, including many business people who do not have air conditioning and are in businesses right on the ocean in downtown Hilo and they report the same thing. Those located miles away from the ocean and especially businesses that are airconditioned are another story entirely. The salt air corroded my APC UPS battery in about one and one-half years. The average life is three years or more. I can't use a cordless phone here because the battery terminals corrode very fast. TVs on the ocean don't last long except for Panasonics for some reason. Other brands are terrible. Dells are the best computers for on the ocean but they have to be kept on all the time.

I'm sorry that you think I am always looking for an argument. Maybe its just that I have a long memory and it's very hard to forget the treatment I got when this forum first started and we were beta testing version 2. The atmosphere here has gotten better but not by a lot and that is a reason many don't buy NOD32 and don't respect it. To put it bluntly, NOD32 users are still considered by many respected members at my home site, and elsewhere, to be thin skinned fanatics who cannot take any criticism of their beloved product.

2. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Hi Mele20,

I don't think folks in this thread are being "thin skinned fanatics" but are just trying to offer you some help to the issue you posted in this thread and also the many other problems you have posted not only with NOD but also other apps.

If you firmly believe that your WinXP box is pristine and that the problems
    you have could not be caused by anything at your end so be it. However, with that mind set, you may be doing a disservice to yourself and others by always posting and blaming the application you are having a problem without any consideration that it might also be an issue with your current machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.