Slow shutdown in XP, It is IMON. Help

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Thorz, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Hi Buster

I share your pain my friend. But I am afraid to tell you that ESET is ignoring this thread so don't expect to see an answer anytime soon. That is my assumption after have passed so long time without a single reply from their people here, or even by email to me. :(.

2. me2 guys!

me2 guys! Guest

hi

@ the end of last dec/early january, before renewing kav, I tried nod32 (I enjoyed a few months ago a trial version).

I did not perform all the tests and reboots described here, but after a few days I uninstalled nod32: it was so sloooooooooooow to surf and everything was so slowww, especially the shutdown.....
    I was very disappointed because I enjoyed the speed and gui of this AV....but no way;
    it was not scientific enough to prove anything and I did not post because I was sure of the flames: misconfiguration/ incompatibility and all this kinda stuff... but now, I'm glad to read you guys, I was not alone, and it was not a config problem....

now kav always rules on my desktop...i'm just waiting the next trial of nod32 for my laptop (2.1) and hopes all this will be fixed...?

cya

3. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

Hi everybody

Today I have resubmitted my log files to the people at support. It is difficult to believe that after almost 20 days that I have done this for the first time I have not gotten an answer about this problem from the support people.
    This is really a big disappointment as it is demonstrated that there are several users with the same problem as it can be read in this thread.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Buster,

You are pointing to a new issue besides a slow down at system shutdown. Please drop support@eset.com an email explaining in full your problem.

Thorz,

First, let me remind you have been helped out rather quick when encountering a problem not that long ago; in this context, please put support issues in the right perspective.

Furthermore, a slow(er) system shutdown is by no means an issue regarding th real purpose from any software. The main point is the software functioning well for reasons it has been designed for - in this case as an Antivirus. And NOD32 performs well in this context.

Thus - no offense intended - Eset sets priorities at issues that do affect the software for what it's developed for - and a slower system shutdown doesn't fit in the "major issues" class. It's at most merely a minor nuisance.

I for one am rather happy Eset sets priorities the way they do - focussing on the major issues first and foremost. This way, the users will benefit most.

me2guys,

Apart from the slow shutdown issue, you've mentioned all being slow. This is a completely different issue - and you have been the first one reporting so. NOD32 runs fine and fast over here on W98, XP Pro, W2K without any slow down.

regards,

paul

5. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

I understand what you say about priorities Paul but if the problem exist I have to report it, wishing that it will be hopefully fixed in a future update.
    I know I have had fast response with previous issues from ESET as I have stated it in this same thread, that is why I was so surprised to not having a single answer after I submitted the diagnosing logs after 20 days.

I have already received an answer from Anders and he has let me know that he has been in contact with the developers and he is waiting for an answer.

I will keep this thread updated when I get an answer about this.

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Thorz,

Reporting seems a good thing to do indeed - no question about that. In spite of Anders contacting the developers, my personal belief is this issue has low priority, and will be handled accordingly.

Let's keep this issue at rest until you receive an answer ;)

regards.

paul

7. izi

izi Registered Member

Hello!

Here are my result:
    - with IMON: 25 seconds
    - without IMON: 7-9 seconds.

Izi

8. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

I found a program that may help identify problems with slow shutdowns. It's called UPHClean. I started having a 20-25 sec. shutdown and now it shuts down in 10 sec. or less. Mine was caused by Lsass.exe(Windows Local Security Authority Service) and smc.exe(Sygate Firewall).

]]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

9. netnut

netnut Registered Member

I'm new to the forum, with this being my first posting. I've just finished a clean install of XP Pro with no additional programs installed. XP was running
    beautifully with a very quick shutdown. Things slowed down considerably
    after an NOD32 install, though the system ran beautiful otherwise. I had noticed a number of postings and thought it good to touch base with support
    at Esset. They were back to me in a matter of a couple of hours! And even though there was no fix, I was tremendously heartened to see that kind of thing.

Their response was as follows:

unfortunately, the delay can only be shortened by decreasing the value of
    the WaitToKillAppTimeout entries in the registry.

So while it would be nice to see my system without it's shutdown having been trippled, I am willing to accept it by the fact that XP runs overall better than it ever did with NAV installed. I just don't belive Symantec cares about anything other than their corporate AV.

:rolleyes:

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What... six months since the first post in this thread? Gee, this should have been fixed by now...low priority or not. I don't spend several thousand dollars on a new system to have my av slow my shutdown (or my start up for that matter). I don't use IMON so I'm not affected but if I was I would be really upset. One of the things you are paying for when you buy a top of the line, tons of RAM, box is fast performance and that includes extremely fast boot and extremely fast shut down. Any application that interferes usually just goes in the trash but the one application we can't do without (besides the OS) is an av and, for that reason, it should be the one with the least bugs. I'm all for Microsoft taking McAfee and making it a part of Longhorn. Yeah, we'd have problems but not as much as we do with these third party avs.

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Mele, please do not hijack this thread off-topic. Thanks.

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Explain how my comments were "hijacking" please. I made a valid comment on point as far as I can see. I can't learn not to do something if I don't understand what I did that is wrong. I can't read your mind. Spit it out clearly, please.

13. kenw

kenw Registered Member

About 5 monhs ago I reinstalled NOD and Outpost with updated versions. The slow shut down did not return since
    AMD 2600+ machine

Just set up a Shuttle with XP Pro, P4 3.2 and have slow shut down.

Go Figure !!

14. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Mele - I've sent you a PM.

15. Avanti

Avanti Registered Member

Today i found out something strange about this "slower shutdown/restart in Windows XP problem" with NOD32. Just bought it a couple of days ago and installed it on a clean newinstalled OS. Since then i've also have had these slow restarts/shutdowns all the time. Found out that when i don't have any checkboxes marked in scheduled tasks and the automatic update gets disabled (update icon turns red), then "HEY" no more slow restarts or shutdowns??
    This solution worked for me but how fun is it to have autoupdates disabled if you really need it... and want your computer to boot or shutdown quickly?Well i'm hoping they get it fixed soon.

16. Avanti

Avanti Registered Member

Update from my previous post... seems that the scheduled tasks don't have anything to do with this problem at all. Didn't noticed that i had powered off my ADSL-modem when i tried this, usually it's always on. The slow restarts/shutdowns only happens when i have my ADSL-modem on. It's a D-Link DSL-504G (modem and router in one) and my NIC is an oboard Intel CSA-based Gigabit LAN controller. Anyone have any ideas why this happens or have a possible solution for this problem? Perhaps i need to change a setting in the NOD32 config?
    Sorry for the double post.

17. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

@Avanti: The only thing that works for me is to disable IMON, even in the last beta the shutdown bug is still present so don't expect a fix of this issue. the funny part is that after I have decided to give a try to NOD32 again (after all these months) I have installed the beta and have been slammed with other bugs that are much more annoying than this one. But this is still a beta then what I have done is report them.

18. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Same here. Whenever I install Windows my PC shuts down 'lightning fast'. As soon as I install NOD 32 then it takes about 30 seconds or more to restart or shutdown.

Dave

19. Grendel

Grendel Registered Member

Time doesn't heal all things, apparently .

I started the earlier thread that Thorz quoted back on page one. I've been following all this ever since, and tried probably all the fixes discussed here, and a few not discussed. Zilch.

Would I like faster shutdown? Of course. Do I think the less of Nod32 or the development team because of it? Not a chance. For a product that does its job so well, and is so otherwise benevolent to use...well, there was a snake in the Garden of Eden :).

Perhaps I'm biased -- I came to Nod after experiences with Norton which were not exactly thrilling.

I can live with the shutdown. Not to say I would reject a fix, but in the larger scheme of things, it's a bargain of a tradeoff.

20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's already been mentioned somewhere on this forum that installing Win XP SP2 resolves the problem. As an interim solution, you can decrease the value of all WaitToKillService instances in the registry.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The default is 20000. I have mine set for 5000.
    Open regedit, edit, search, WaitToKill.

Attached Files:

22. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

I will wait for SP2 then, at the moment there are worst problems than this in the beta, but I am positive that the developers will find the respective fixes.

23. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

If you don't like messing with the registry or can't wait for SP2 you can use a program called Xp-Antispy (freeware), which has an option to allow "fast shutdown" for XP. I used it before I installed SP2 RC2.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2062

24. Thorz

Thorz Registered Member

I think another program that includes this tweaking option is Cacheman. I have tried it before (not for this special problem) and it works ok. I think people must have an eye into the error log of Windows because killing a service like this is must probably going to be reported in the error logs in Event Manager.

25. DiGi

DiGi Registered Member

One stupid question - do you have enabled "AMON on-shutdown FDD scan"?
    Do you need that scan? (Bios first-boot device is FDD or HDD/CD?) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.