Macrium Reflect Questions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by niki, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niki

niki Registered Member

I had EaseUS before and now I installed Macrium Reflect free.

When there is an update available for MR do I install it over top of the existing MR or uninstall MR and install the newest version?

I made a bootable Flash Drive. Would that still be functioning with the updated version(s) of MR or would I have to create a new bootable Flash Drive with each update? Thanks.

2. claykin

claykin Registered Member

I am a Reflect Pro user. Typically Reflect updates are installed over the existing version. No need to uninstall.

Its always advisable to create new bootable media when upgrading. That goes for pretty much every imaging/backup app with bootable rescue.

3. niki

niki Registered Member

Thank you claykin.

Now I have version 5.2 build 6377. If the build would change to 6378 (for example) would I then still have to create a new bootable Flash Drive? I could understand to create a new one when the version would change to 6.*?

4. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

You don't always have to create a new boot media, but it is recommended. Some updates sometimes involve the recovery media. Read the release notes to be sure.

Updates are usually small and just a patch to your current build.

5. niki

niki Registered Member

Thanks MarcP. So as far as I understand probably no need to create a new bootable media if just updating the build, only just for version changes? I will check the release notes.

6. claykin

claykin Registered Member

If you are questioning when, or are concerned, my recommendation is to be cautious and build new recovery media after each upgrade. Its not a big deal to build new media.

7. niki

niki Registered Member

Thank you! :thumb:

8. niki

niki Registered Member

Not sure if I did create a bootable disk the right way. Did I need to download software such as WAIK or would Macrium Reflect software on its own be sufficient to create a bootable disk without having to install some other software? Thanks.

9. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Macrium will handle the download of anything it needs. Just let it do its magic.

10. niki

niki Registered Member

Oh, what a relief!! Thank you. :thumb:

11. niki

niki Registered Member

I have another question since I am new to Macrium Reflect.

Currently I show the following in MR:

1 - DellUtility (none)
    16 bit FAT Primary
    116 KB
    39.2 MB

2 - Recovery (none)
    NTSF Active
    8.77 GB
    13.15 GB

3 - OS (C:)
    NTSF Primary
    53.12 GB
    452.57 GB

The above 3 are all checked by Macrium Reflect.

In order to do a system image, will I need all of those 3 ticked in the boxes? If not, please advise which one(s) won't be needed for a system image. Well I know for sure that C: is the one I need.

So far I left all 3 ticked so MR imaged all of those 3? Was that the right choice?

Thanks for your response.

12. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

You want an exact copy of your system to restore from? Why not check them all? Do you really want to do a partial restore and potentially hose the system?

13. niki

niki Registered Member

Thanks MarcP. Just wanted to be sure that I was doing the right thing.

14. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Niki,
    I just updated to v 5.2.6399. (W7 64 Pro)
    Then I created new bootable Recovery media, there was a download of 183.6MB for Win PE v 4.0, so something changed.

I then created an image with 5.2.6399 of the Crucial 120GB SSD, shutdown and swapped in a brand new Kingston 120GB SSD, booted to the Recovery media and successfully Recovered the image. (The original SSD is OK, I just wanted to prove that the restore works without losing my original drive.) Next time I'll image the Kingston and recover to the Crucial. Possibly a bit paranoid I know.

I'm satisfied that Reflect is a Very easy program to work with.

You may not need to do all this Niki, but I think that you should just to be safe. (well not the part about buying a new drive, that part is just me...)

J

15. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

They always do an update of the base WIM image so that the product version on the bootable media matches. However, that doesn't always guarantee changes in the actual software. The release notes tell the true story.

16. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

OK, I'll take your word. I didn't bother to check the Release Notes. I'd probably do the PE update anyway... just sayin'...:)

J

Edit:
    What's new? 5.2.6399:

New options for handling NTFS reparse points.
    Reflect now contains the option to follow or backup the definitions of folder symbolic links and junction points.
    Menu option in Windows PE environment to change keyboard layout.
    A new menu option is available in the Windows PE environment to change the keyboard layout in use. Additionally, keyboard recognition on boot has been improved.
    Server edition now writes Windows events to the classic application channel as well as the Macrium channel.
    A number of customers have requested that Macrium Reflect logs events to the classic application channel for parsing by third party log analysis software. This has been implemented.
    Improved PE download integrity checking.
    Macrium Reflect now performs additional integrity checks on downloaded files when building PE Rescue Media.

Bug fixes:

Issue with approved shell extension.
    Customers have reported a rare conflict between specific group policy settings for approved shell extensions and the Macrium Reflect shell. This has been resolved.
    Version 4.2 upgrade issues.
    Some customers have reported an error message when trying to install version 5.2 using a version 4.2 upgrade key. This has been resolved.
    Program error when extracting Windows PE files.
    Some customers have reported a program error when burning rescue media. This has been resolved.
    Not completely, I tried two types of media and got an error, tried the last type that I had on hand and it was OK.
    J

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  17. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Oh ya. I do update my boot media everytime as well. I use a 2GB USB key and it's a quick 5mins thing to do it whenever there's an update. It's always good to do. The original concern expressed in this thread is that if you don't do it, you run a high risk, but that all depends on what the release notes say. It is quite rate that the release note will urge everyone to re-create their boot media.

18. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

When installing Macrium Reflect free and you get to the screen that shows you can customize the Macrium free install and add component(s)

Expanding the customization tree you can have 67mb download addition to your hard drive

Add that as well?

Thanks in advance
    edit: Got question solved

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

Um when re-creating boot media will Macrium Reflect re-download the whole of 183.6MB for WinPE v4.0? Or can it re-create without any more downloads?

20. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

If there hasn't been an update, then no. It won't redownload what has already been downloaded.

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

So if there is an update MR will re-download again to build the bootable media right? Because you had recommended to re-recreate the bootable media whenever there is an update. That means re-downloading is a must whenever there is an update of MR.:(

22. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

No, it's not an absolute must unless the release notes say so. Re-read the thread. MR will ask to re-download, but you don't have to agree.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay it's clearer now. Thank you.:)

24. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

You won't be downloading Windows 8 files, you will be downloading small MR files to build an updated WinRE.

Best regards,

Mohamed

25. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see. That's great.:D:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.