Secure, Reliable web browser

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by NotRight, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotRight

NotRight Registered Member

Due to certain actions that have taken place recently, I have decided to boycott, or refrain from using all of Google services. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation or suggestion as an alternative to Google Chrome.

Is there any reason to believe Firefox is not as secure?

I'm just looking for a reliable, secure web browser; that has a good privacy policy with regards to giving private information to 3rd parties.

Kindest Regards,
    Me

2. Alhaitham

Alhaitham Registered Member

Mozilla Firefox meets that criteria perfectly

if your priority is privacy and security so Firefox should be your first choice

3. NotRight

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't mean to be rude, but taking a quick look at your 8 posts; ALL of them are you talking about Mozilla Firefox.

Can anyone else, who perhaps doesn't show much bias towards choosing a web browser comment on this. I would really appreciate it.

Kindest Regards,
    Me

4. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

The most obvious would be Chromium.

The binaries used to be buried in the repositories at the dev site, but they don't seem to be there any more. You can get it from Softpedia here, and here and here they talk about other various ways, including update apps.

You can also get a portable version at Softpedia, or the main SourceForge page.

Of course Comodo offers a Chromium-based browser that they claim is safer due to various security features they add (including the ability to route through the Comodo DNS.)

You can get that from their own site, CNET downloads, and FileHippo.

No. (Particularly if you include all the various privacy addons).

Also if you want to try out Comodo, but prefer Firefox design/behavior, they also offer a FF-based browser called IceDragon.

You can grab that from the same locations as Comodo Dragon (although it doesn't seem to be up at FileHippo yet.)

Being the product of a non-profit organization, and one of the largest open source projects in the world, I would tend to trust it. They really do seem like the kind of FOSS/EFF geeks who really care about libre and just making good software...

http://youtu.be/eYujigo3Xu4

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  5. NotRight

That's the info I was looking for. Thank you kindly!:thumb:

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

What about Comodo IceDragon, it is Firefox based and it is supposed to be more secure.

7. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I really like Firefox for what you are asking about. I run several "private instances" on my machines, and I like how configurable the browser is for my specific needs. Even their default general instance is configurable and nice.

In addition to ANY browser considered you might also give some consideration to HOW the browser/machine gets to the internet. If you go in a solid tunnel and bounce around, third party cookies at the exit node won't track back to you anyway.

Although a bit unrelated to your post/question, I would further insulate by using Sandboxie so your machine itself never contributes to flagging you with third party cookies between browser sessions. I have only recently started using Sandboxie having switched over from Comodo's generic sandbox. That is nice too but the paid version of Sandboxie has awesome controls.

Not trying to act like a "know it all". These are just the thoughts that came to mind as I read this thread.

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You can get Chromium here: -https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html

The continous buils are considered to be the dev stable version.

9. Alhaitham

Alhaitham Registered Member

you're welcome

10. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Is Chromium still developing portable builds?

Didn't see the link in Jackman's post. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yandex is also Chromium based developed by a Russian search company like Google. It allows synchronizations as well avoiding using an google account, it uses its own.
    Chrome extensions Ghostery and Vanilla Cookie Manager work pretty well to achieve your goal. Avoiding giving your private info to US agencies is guaranteed by Russia. :)

12. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Secure but how about privacy? I won't touch a browser of Comodo. :doubt:

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Why is that.?

14. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Not sure about his reasons, but I would not use anything from Comodo, you can call it a hunch, it is hard to explain my experiences (tiny details), I just do not trust them.

15. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

You can use Firefox. Moreover, you can build Firefox without unnecessary things that you don't use. Personally i am using stripped down Firefox :D

16. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

Oh, do tell me more please? :)

17. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I mean you can disable some report services like crash report, updater, health report etc.. You can disable sync service if you don't use it etc... It is possible to disable them without building Firefox of course but you can build if the checkboxes bother you in the settings! So these services will not be implemented into the Firefox.

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Yet your happy to use the chrome browser or any other browser for that matter.
    I really dont understand this huge mistrust of comodo.

19. fblais

fblais Registered Member

SRWare's Iron is another chromium-based browser.

20. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I would suggest Pale Moon, which I'm using as I want to give NoScript another try. It's basically Firefox, built from the same release code, but with some minor differences (including stripping out some of those things that pandorax mentioned). It's optimized for more recent CPUs (generally anything post-Pentium III), and comes in both 64-bit and 32-bit versions.

21. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Anything that is not a variation on Firefox, Chrome/Chromium ( I'm not sure either is better but it has been a long time since I read anything about that) ?

Firefox may be open source, but it's very popular and conceivably well-known by some parties ... Personally I just don't like Firefox, but that's a personal thing.

Any opinions on Opera ?

22. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Opera now might as well be considered a variation of Chromium, since they are switching to the same layout engine (Webkit, then Blink).

23. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I switched to Firefox from IE-8 a few months ago and the difference in user satisfaction is total.
    My computer is fairly old and Pentium 4/XP SP-2 based.
    I run three add-ons; Adblock Plus, Flashblock, and Flash Video Downloader.
    Any slowdown in start-up or page rendering is due to MBAM's real-time scanner.

Inside of Sandboxie (free version) I can go pretty much anywhere I want to go and have remained malware free since the switch.
    I did experience a few FPs due to an MBAM glitch several months ago but that wasn't the fault of FF.

While Chrome and Opera are slightly faster on my computer, I prefer Firefox because of the user interface and cosmetics. It has, for me, the best balance of features, customization, security, and performance of any browser I've tried.
    After Firefox, I prefer Opera over Chrome.
    I think it is slightly faster than Chrome and has a better user interface, at least in it's present incarnation.

24. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Well....
    Looks like I killed the thread. :eek:

NotRight;
    Have you narrowed the field ?

25. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I like very much Opera, but Sleipnir is much faster in my pc :'( But I go on to use Opera, hope that next release is faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.