Who killed teh NOD32?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by berryracer, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

around 7 or 10 years ago (can't remember exactly) I did some research and asked a lot as to what was the best antivirus for gamers, and without any doubt, it was NOD32 antivirus FTW, very light on the system (even with the older systems at those times) and yet extremely effective! it was like magic! It always got the best awards from Virus Testing Labs and was loved by performance addicted people.

I have always been a fan / license holder for many years and still hold an ESS license for 3 years but I don't even have it installed.

I feel NOD32 has become heavier on the system, yet less effective! the exact opposite of what it was before.

If you look at the lab test results from various sites, NOD32 alway is at the bottom of the list, doing much worse than the competition (even the free solutions)

This is very sad news for me as I loved the simple and light interface, how light it was, and the fact that I felt secure running NOD32 on my computer.

I don't feel teh same anymore and would take any other free solution rather than install NOD32 seriously...

anyone feels the same or am I the only one?

I gave it many chances, v5 and v6 just keep going from bad to worse. I wonder if they Eset spends most its efforts and money on its digital marketing and ads now rather than improving on their products. I for one know that this is my last Eset product and no longer recommend them to anyone, in fact, I am not using my 3 year / 3 user license for ESS no more

PS: I am posting this here rather than the NOD32 subforums as I don't want biased comments from ESET owners. I want to know how all the others feel

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well your not going to be able to dodge Eset owners here either. I've used it in the past and liked it a lot. I've installed it on peoples systems and never found a problem.

3. DX2

DX2 Guest

I think ESET is one of the better AV's out there. Even v5 and 6. I installed in on my moms laptop 5 years ago and it's never had a virus or slow downs...:thumb:

4. berryracer

But isn't avast Free Antivirus with its Autosandbox feature better?

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Be careful this doesn't turn into an A vs B thread or the mods will close it.

Kind regards

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Imo N32 went from 95% effort geared towards being the best AV to a 95% effort selling their products.

7. berryracer

totally agree

8. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

"I feel NOD32 has become heavier on the system"

Are you using the current version of NOD32 on a 10 year old computer? If not then it shouldn't be heavy on the system. I think NOD32 is one of the lightest antivirus on the market.

9. century

century Registered Member

I just ran a trial of Eset v5 in my old PC with 1 GB RAM, !.8 GHz Processor running Win XP SP3. The AV never made anything slow, ran like a dream. Only thing holding me back from buying it is the AV Comparative rating.

10. berryracer

yes that as well, that's worse than the slowness thing. When I meant slow is it isn't as light as NOD32 v2 was not REALLY slow but the AV comparatives things is a deal breaker for me

11. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I must say it is definitely not what it once was. I first purchased a license in 2005 and thought it was great. I went through 2.5 and 2.7 and they were one of the best products I had ever used. ESS 3 was not terrible for me. Then ESS 4 came out. Though I have continued to maintain a license I have hardly touched it in the last few years. To me there are too many quality issues. Not that other products haven't had them as well. But those other products have corrected them. ESS just continues to have issues. Locking out my network connection for no apparent reason. Crashing. Error messages. The "Failed to read firewall configuration" has been going on for years since version 4 and still persists with version 6. I just don't have time for it all. I hope they someday return to the greatness they once were but with each passing year I am running out of hope. :(

12. berryracer

D!tto man

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Kinda the same here, was once on of the best performers in tests and very light, but detection/protection is not what it once was and also the issues that still aren't fixed.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Could you provide a link to the AVC rating as I haven't seen ESET perform bad in the tests by AVC, thanks.

15. rinem

rinem Registered Member

If you turn off scanning all files and set default extensions on both real time and web scanner you get a fast eset back again. Its you to decide if u can live with those settings. I can but i dont visit obscure webpages.

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This is definitely not necessary. If you are experiencing performance issues with default settings, please contact Customer care or drop me a PM and I'm pretty sure we'll be able to solve it to your satisfaction.

17. berryracer

Just one of many tests: http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/julaug-2012/

IT is a big shame that free AV solutions have better results

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I disagree. I find nod32 5 and ess 5 to be a fantastic product.
    both products are light on resources, including cpu,disc,memory and disc space.
    I dont have any problems with the detection of eset products.
    I have installed ess on many of my customers machines after another antivirus has let threats through they havent had any issues since. I also use eset sysrescue to clean up the threats before installing ess.

I feel that real-life experience is more valid than tests.

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's AV-TEST and not AV-Comparatives.

ESET does never perform well in the tests by AV-Test and why that is the case, is a mystery to me and others.

20. Janus

Janus Registered Member

That's so true, you nailed it. :thumb:

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

only one question i have is why all the negativity latelyo_O it seems everything sucks now? i dont mean to sound rude but every thread from you lately is about everything that sucks?? if you dont like it imo just dont use it?? again not meaning to sound rude at all just curious...

22. DX2

DX2 Guest

I was going to say the same thing...:doubt:

23. pintas

pintas Registered Member

Well... i'm just trying Eset Smart Security 6 RC and i have to say... it's really good. Ok, maybe there aren't many differences from the 5 version appart from Anti-theft (which i don't use) and some tweaks and improvements here and there, but it is a fantastic product with a fantastic detection rate, don't care of what some tests may say. I've tested it throughly and it's really fantastic.

Don't know if the product itself is as safe as Comodo Internet Security, but it is very nice indeed. I'm seriously considering in keeping it. It will depend on how much i like the soon to be CIS 6 :)

I can only point one negative thing so far, and that's the RAM usage, it's very high (CIS is very good here). But it's still a RC...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  24. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

That's a positive thing, not a negative. ESET loads its definitions into memory, which makes the RAM usage rise, but speed things up considerably. No matter how fast your SSD/HDD is, retreiving information from RAM is always much faster.

25. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Unfortunately, tests from AV-Comparatives are coming out with less regularity. The tests people see more often are from MRG and AV-Test where Eset is not performing well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.