Error Creating Temporary file

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Golfer, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golfer

Golfer Registered Member

Spex: i5, 12gb ram, intel mobo, jbod
    Spex: Win7 Pro x64 SP1
    spex: Besides eset, malwarebytes and Ccleaner are installed.

Spex: Eset nod32 antivirus 4
    Virus signature database: 7104 (20120502)
    Update module: 1040 (20120313)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1353 (20120423)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1121 (20111208 )
    Archive support module: 1145 (20120416)
    Cleaner module: 1055 (20120424)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1026 (20110628 )
    ESET SysInspector module: 1224 (20120223)
    Self-defense support module: 1018 (20100812)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1006 (20110921)

Problem: I get the error 'Error creating temporary file' when I try to do an update.

Solution Attempts: (rebooted several times throughout the following)
    1. Verified the temp directory exists via "environmental variables". Removed all *.tmp from said directory. I have full permissions. No successo_O
    2. Created a new temp file and pointed to it via the "environmental variables". I have full permissions. No Success.:doubt:
    3. Uninstalled/reinstalled ESET nod32 antivirus4. Same error. No success.:mad:

I'd like to isolate the error via procmon and filtering with ekrn.exe, but I am not having any luck.

If someone could offer me some advice on procmon or another solution, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Did you clear the c:\windows\temp folder?

4. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

Also verify there is a temp folder in C:\Windows and C:\Documents and Settings\[User Account]\Local Settings

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Where are the temporary file folders located on the system?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. Golfer

Golfer Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I really appreciate your time and effort. However, I am still unable to resolve this issue.

In the advanced setup tree, under update, the "clear" option is not accessable. It is there, its just greyed out.

I was able to successfully complete the second solution, to no avail. However, even though i have re-enabled "self-defense", ESET NOD32 av4 is giving me "Maximum protection is disabled" and "Virus scanner initialization failed. Most of the ESET NOD32 Antivirus modules will not function properly. O crap.

Yes sir, I did.

There is the one I created in C:\Windows and since its win7, there is the "old" temp folder @ C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp

TEMP C:\Windows\Temp
    TMP C:\Windows\Temp

Please advise. This is occurring on an important server and I must resolve this issue ASAP. Thank you for your time.

7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Possibly corrupt permissions on the temporary file directories? You might want to try deleting them, rebooting the computer and then logging in to verify they are recreated. If not, go ahead and create them manually, restart once more and then try performing an update.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It's greyed out when the content of the updfiles folder containing auxiliary update files have already been erased.

I'd suggest creating a Procmon log from the moment you attempt to update, compress it, upload it somewhere and PM me the download link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.