AV-Comparatives detection test 2012

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by darts, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darts

darts Registered Member

AV-Comparatives did a New test in 2012 the detection test and Webroot did very well but it had a lot of False Positives 428 too be exactly it was tested with the 195 version of Wsa , i hope in the next test that there are a lot less false positives because i realy like Webroot and without the false positives Webroot did get the Advanced+ rate but now they got the Standard rate.
    Maybe Webroot can react on this result?

http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/detection-test

Greats,

darts

2. STONEMAN

STONEMAN Registered Member

Re: AV-Comparatives derection test 2012

i probably missed something here but to say webroot did very well?
    i would say average at best:doubt:

3. darts

darts Registered Member

But if the false positivse wern't there then what would you think of the results?

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Didn't they have a TON of false positives in a test previously and laid the blame on a bug in a module they updated afterwards? What's the excuse this time?

5. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

There have been loads of refinements to Webroot since the version in this test which was 8.0.1.95 so the results today could be quite different. We shall see in the near future.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it is weird, the feeling from Webroot folks, I was getting was, this was suppose to be some great news for them. Anything but that. FPs have always been a issue with this product, be it Prevx or Webroot. The sad part is they wont ever admit to it and usally shut your post down if you do.

7. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Exactly - you should expect to see constantly improving scores as the product matures. Almost all of these products have been tested for the last many, many years from these vendors. This was WSA's first test and we'll definitely be improving as time goes on. We've already fixed the false positives and I would anticipate a much better result the next time around (possibly next month, but I'm not sure on the testing frequency).

8. PrevxHelp

See the post I just made ;) There is no trying to hide that we had FPs. This was with an old build and everything has been fixed already.

I try to not have FPs reported on the forum as I'm the only person that checks it and we'd waste time in fixing them when the research team can correct them very quickly if reported directly.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I also feel that Webroot shoud not have been rated as Standard and AhnLab just as tested. Yes AhnLab may have rated 4.25% less in detection but the 364 less FPs should have offset the lower detection.

Remember how Avira always got burned for having a few more then others. Come on, give me a break, 364.

10. PrevxHelp

I think one of the reasons is the severity of the FPs - none of these were on popular programs or bound to affect any large number of users as they were all relatively obscure from what I've seen.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Wow Déjà vu!

12. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

To be fair to Webroot, they don't shut threads down. I remember a couple of threads about the information they collect and privacy. The threads got a bit heated but Webroot kept the threads open and took the time to answer users' concerns.

13. PrevxHelp

I'll pose a question to everyone here: have you been experiencing vast quantities of false positives? We know our FP rate across our userbase has dropped dramatically. This is one test. See the latest AV-Test results which show a very different picture despite being from the same time:

http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/...ports/?tx_avtestreports_pi1[report_no]=120525

Samples used: 516,545
    FPs: Jan - 1, Feb - 0

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

now simmers down Joe, simmers down.

I have to say that in the last few months, zero FPs for me with Webroot which is why this was so shocking. Taking the FPs out of the equation, I am very impressed with the overall detection rate. That does show remarkable gain in 9 months and coupled with AV-Tests results, pretty much says that WSA has arrived at being able to protect you by itself.

15. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

One thing I saw that is strange is that AV-Comparatives said there was a FP with Admuncher. I am running Admuncher without problems. I also had the installation file on my PC for a while without detection by WSA.

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

17. PrevxHelp

Interesting, thanks for that level of detail. I haven't heard of any users here complaining about WSA FPing on Avast, Avira, or Symantec, and I use Thunderbird/WinZIP/Skype/MS Office/Adobe Reader myself so I would have thought I'd have run into those FPs as well but I haven't.

That would lead me to believe these weren't affecting all users at once but I'll definitely be interested in the next test.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

could it be related to how each has their heuristic settings set.

19. PrevxHelp

That's possible - IBK, I saw in the report that Avast, Avira, and Kaspersky had their heuristics set to High for the test. Could you let me know if Webroot's were also elevated? That could definitely cause a difference for the average user and would explain my case (I use the defaults).

Thanks!

20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

@PrevxHelp: yes, I expect too that Webroot will have fewer FPs next time (it is also noted in the PDF). Just to be clear, we submitted the FPs to Webroot and by now they (the ones listed) should be all already fixed.

21. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Have yet to encounter a single false positive.I'm very very happy with the product and it's continued evolution.In spite of this being it's first year available(i think pple sometime forget this.take a gander back at some of the competition at their inaugural editions),it really is quite polished and light at the same time.Keep in mind i am not a fanboy or whatever some of you call us as you make think we blindly follow.I have licenses to KIS and NIS and would have no problem switching were it not the fact that WSA-C is proven in my eyes and it's the best for me.Thumbs up again to Joe and his team on a job well done on what is a totally new product from the ground up.I anxiously await it's continued refinement:D

22. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

:thumb:

Webroot is here to stay.

23. darts

darts Registered Member

Hello Prevx,

How about the monthly results from March at this link:

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart2.php

The detectionresult from Webroot is very low here what is the reason for this then if i may ask.

Greats,

darts

24. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Really well constructed test. Kudos to AVC.
    Results 'readable' and interpretable and so: open to discussion.

Agree with Joe re some of the FPs, seems a little odd from common user experience of common tools?
    ( LOL ~ every other AV Vendor !! )
    @IBK care to comment re difference btwn your results and enduser experience?

@Joe: would you likje to comment on this:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/dyn/avc_factsheet2012_03.pdf
    oops: and as post above for 'realtime review" ; again great initiative from AVC.

25. PrevxHelp

I actually just asked the same of our internal research team as I was surprised to see us scoring low on there as well. They're expecting this to improve quickly also and come more in line with what we've seen from other tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.