Operating Memory Unpack Error

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Dazed_and_Confused, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I just happened to be looking through my NOD32 scanner logs. When I right-click a scan event in the log, and then details, I am able to see the results of previous scans. Each of them have a message about an Operating Memory Unpack Error. What is this, and how can I fix it? The text pasted below is the first few lines of the detail of one the scans.

Scan performed at: 6/15/2004 2:00:40 AM
    Scanning Log
    NOD32 version 1.789 (20040614) NT
    Command line: c:\ /clean /ah /all /subdir+ /heur+ /scanfile+ /scanmem+ /scanboot+ /scroll+ /arch+ /pack+ /mapi- /pattern+ /scanboot+ /scanmbr+ /heurdeep /log+ /prompt /quit
    Operating memory - unpack error

2. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi D&C,

There is a packed file running on your system somewhere. Could you email a complete copy of your log file to support@nod32.com please? Also put a link to this thread.

Thanks.
    Bandicoot. :D

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Looking through my log, I did see this entry:

c:\Program Files\WormGuard\wguninst.dll »PECompact v1.67 - unpack error

Is this what is causing the problem? If not, I'll email the entire log. Thanks

4. Arin

Arin Registered Member

someone had the same unpacking error in this very forum. its a legitimate file and you shouldn't be worried. you could try mailing that file so that ESET can fix this error.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Thanks. I recognized the name WORMGUARD, so I figured it was a legit file. If this is the problem, I just find it hard to believe that as long as WG has been on the market that Eset has not addressed this yet. I'll be glad to send the file if they want me to.

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

7. Dazed_and_Confused

8. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

ESET does not handle a lot of runtime packers, just some UPX versions and a few other packers.

Regards,

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Hello, Jack. Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but are you saying that NOD32 cannot unpack the file because it does not have much unpacking capability? Are packed files the same thing as zipped or compressed files? Thanks. :)

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

NOD32 can unpack files very well. its just that DCS is using a special packer. packed files are different from other archives. when you run a packed file it unpacks on-the-fly. means it decompresses itself directly to memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.