Can you tell me what this DSO Exploit is...

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by bulldawgs, Jun 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulldawgs

bulldawgs Registered Member

Hey Pieter. I was running the Spybot Search and Destory. I get the same 2 things every time I run this. It brings up the DSO Exploit with 2 errors in it. I will type exactly what it is telling me below this. I have asked it to fix the errors but it comes up even when I do another Spybot run.

Here they are:

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change, nothing done)
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1275210071-789336058-1060284298-1000/Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

Let me know what to do and if I need to send you anything else.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Nicole (Bulldawgs)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re: Pieter....Can you tell me what this is DSO...

That's not actually anything to worry about if your system is patched properly by using Microsoft's Windows Update.

There is a bug in Spybot 1.3 where it checks a registry key, (a simple security setting in Internet Explorer), for a specific value - if that value is not present it gives you the alert(s) you are seeing. The bug is that when you tell Spybot to fix it, it fails to set the proper value (the very one it is checking for itself), so the next time you run a scan it finds the same problem.

The Spybot team is long since aware of the bug and they have already developed the fix for Spybot, but they haven't released it yet.

Here is the primary thread at the Spybot support forum that has a lot of details on this:

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=15308&st=60&hl=dso exploit

3. bulldawgs

bulldawgs Registered Member

Re: Pieter....Can you tell me what this is DSO...

Thank you very much LowWaterMark for taking the time to review my post and I appreciate your quick response as well. I will keep checking back on here to see if a fix/patch has been released. I religiously do my Windows Updates so hopefully in the very near future my small problem with that DSO Exploit will be patched up and working without that error coming up.

Again, thank you very much!

Bulldawgs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.