Video gone

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by John Bull, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Wilders is such a great place to get solutions from. A more brainy and helpful bunch I have never come across.
    OK, some of you don`t like me, but ya can`t win `em all can ya ?

A few days ago I could play video`s from "risky" sites, but now I cannot. Video`s from nice sites still play.

I have disabled both NoScript and ABT, but it still makes no difference.
    I did have a Firefox update to 3.6.6, but cannot see any block on video`s when looking at the Options. Something has decided to block these video`s in the past few days, but I have`nt a clue what is causing it.

Any answers ? Can anybody tell me what Fairy Godmother has decided to protect my innocent virginity over the past few days ?

Javascript, Flash, I just don`t know or where to look to stop it. I do wish people would ask me before they trespass onto my personal choice of lifestyle. I left babysitting classes a very long time ago and am a big boy now.
    Risks are the spice of life. Whatever would we do without that Adrenaline pumping in overdrive ? Be like Howard Hughes and live in a plastic bubble ?

John B

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

what happens when you try and play a video, any error message, blank box etc etc? Only some risky sites are affected or all? In addition to troubleshooting with NoScript did you empty browser cache? Tried with another browser?

3. John Bull

Hello Cudni, thanks for the note.

I have only tried one site that a few days ago was OK.
    No messages, just a big black square that should have a bar at the bottom with the enlarge and timing data on it and a moving circle in the centre that means it is searching to go.

I do not wish to embark on a circuit of dicey sites, romping around the Internet red light district. May get a ticket for curb crawling.

My browser cache is emptied on FF shut down and I do it manually all the time.
    FF is my browser and as it worked OK a few days ago before things started to update and I have done nothing, there is no point in trying IE for instance.
    I just feel peed off by somebody trying to wet-nurse me by screwing up my system.

John B

PS - Just for you Cudni, I used IE8 to access the site in question. I did get a message saying that Flash version 9 or above is required. I have`nt a clue what that means or how to do it. What the hell is "Flash" and how do I get this version 9 ?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

For Flash, you can go here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and pick your poison. Note the checkbox you may want to clear to avoid Google Toolbar install IF you were to opt for the IE version, doesn't appear like there's a Google Toolbar piggyback for "other browsers" install.

5. culla

culla Registered Member

you need flash to play flv swf videos :eek:

6. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Can you show us the site your trying to access?? Maybe that will help ;) :p

7. John Bull

Hello Smokey,
    No certainly not, I`m a married man you know.

It went from perfect to blackout in two days. I did nothing, but Firefox did update me to version 3.6.6 and NoScript updated. Other than that, I have`nt a clue what has happened. I am not banned, it is just the video`s that will not play. Just get a black screen, where usually an indicator is present in the centre and a control strip at the bottom.

It is not the ABP, Noscript or Flash Killer add-ons since I disabled all of them and it made no difference. Everything works OK on normal sites. It must be Firefox that is site grading, but I cannot find out from the Options what is wrong in order to rectify it.
    I cannot find any filters that are causing this, even Google`s settings. I cannot accept any outside influence on my own personal choices.

IE8 is a waste of time to me, I do not use it and the add-ons are not up to date. I do have Flash add-ons in Firefox see :-
    http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/FlashAdd-ons.jpg

I just thought by raising this personal issue, Wilders would come up with something, but if I am wasting time, I apologise and perhaps better drop the matter and see if my poor old brain can sort it out.

As always, I thank all posters who answer my threads and really am grateful.
    Wilders has given me lots of help and solutions so far and I know that the chances of success on this Forum are very high indeed.

John B

8. culla

culla Registered Member

did you try updating your flash player ??

i have none of those add ons you have and videos work fine without them

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

HaHa - i was just settin you up to see if you'd bite:p

Anyways, try this good firefox extension video/clip grabber - http://flashgot.net/

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What is her advice? Or does one not ask for directions while driving?;)

11. John Bull

From what I see, this video problem is some kind of security filter imposed by one of my minder programs following an update. It is not the site or access to it, but to do with Flash or some new puritanical rating of sites.

I was enjoying perfect peace and tranquillity with everything bouncing around merrily, did absolutely nothing then I was inundated by updates :- Windows XP, Sandboxie, NoScript, Adobe Flash etc.

From then on my video`s failed and I have`nt a clue why. I updated Adobe Flash, put in add-ons, but to no avail. I have looked at every filter I can find, but still cannot see why my video`s do not work. Funnily enough, some do and some don`t - it has got to be a security filter matter related to site integrity. The old Sunday school mentality trying to protect me from all the evils of Pandora`s Box.

Well, having raised this thread in the hope that Wilders could come up with an answer, perhaps it is all down to me to sort it out as a personal problem.

The object of a Forum is to pose a question, have fun, have a chat and enjoy the conversation, but most of all to reach a conclusion. Not always possible, but at least if Wilders cannot do it, then nobody can and I always enjoy the ride.

In respect to the posters and my own thread, I will stick at this problem with the tenacity of a pit-bull to a postman`s butt. If I get a result, I will post it just to conclude the thread. If not, I will have to admit defeat.

Meanwhile, thank you all for your contributions.

John Bull
    LAFFIN MOUSE.gif

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  12. culla

culla Registered Member

remove those add ons they're not needed to play videos as stated in my earlier post

13. ABee

ABee Registered Member

As of Firefox 3.6.6, most video content is handled with 'plugin-container.exe', a new process which might need to be allowed thru the firewall.
    It doesn't need an internet connection for YouTube, but it does need to be allowed on, e.g., Hulu.
    If it's never connected before, your firewall should be popping up a box requesting permission for it-- if 'plugin-container.exe' should need to make a connection for whatever site you're on, that is.

There are two separate Flash installers for Windows. One is for IE (an ActiveX control), and the other is for 'other browsers'. So that's why you can have Flash in Firefox yet not in IE.

It's also possible you could use an adjustment in your Flash Settings Manager:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager02.html#118539

Firefox does not "grade" websites.
    The more you learn about your machine, the less you'll find need for thoughts like "I just feel peed off by somebody trying to wet-nurse me by screwing up my system."

I guess you'll never see this info directly, though-- me being on your 'block list' and all.
    Maybe someone else can impart it to you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  14. John Bull

Hello Culla,

I disabled the Flash add-ons, but it made no difference. In fact, I got a message saying that I had no Flash add-on installed.

To pin it down, I disabled NoScript, Flash Killer and ABP. I then logged on to the Internet by FF without Sandboxie and nothing changed - still the same.

To my reckoning, if all I have is Firefox and it stops video`s playing that were perfectly OK before the FF update, then something in FF is now stopping them that did not happen before.
    Looking at the FF Options, I just cannot see what.

As I said before, my video`s played OK on any site chosen except what our narrow minded colleagues call Adults Only. I do not even want to think that my browser is trying to protect me from the evils of mankind. I can do that myself perfectly.

John B

15. culla

culla Registered Member

did you try system restore back to when they worked ?
    all i have is
    adobe flash player 10 plugin in add/remove programs
    none in firefox addons
    i also have k-lite codec pack

16. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

John a lot of us use FF 3.6.6, Sandboxie and NoScript and don't have issues
    playing flash videos at all. My gut feeling tells me that you ought to uninstall
    flash and re install it on a clean FF install.
    I also think that you should have the latest Flash on internet explorer, even
    thou you don't use it or do like I did and uninstall it completely from it.

17. John Bull

To all those posters who so kindly have made such sensible and constructive comments about my video poltergeist issue.

I may have a clue. All my normal video`s play perfectly well, it is just a few dicey sites as explained that have blacked me out after previously working OK. Some other dicey sites work fine.

Perhaps these particular sites have instituted a block on encrypted Proxy`s which hide a persons real IP and this has happened by coincidence at the same time as all the updates I have mentioned. Such Proxy`s are the President Nixon`s mask of masquerading anonymous surfers and such sites need the correct IP in order to dispel their evil spells upon us.

Using an anonymous Proxy with Sandboxie an AV plus NoScript, ABP etc. puts these sites fully in the slammer with absolutely nowhere to go and they don`t like it. Tough ain't it ? I can live without them.

John B

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  18. John Bull

This reply would have gone on thread "Flash - the present day Bogey man" but it was suggested I put it onto this one.

I have tried to follow all the advice given to me by GlobalForce and all the posters about my video problems, missing Flash and Plugins, plus JavaScript being disabled (if I have it).

Quite honestly I am so confused why these two features are giving me one hell of a hard time. I have installed massive programs with no trouble, but Adobe and Java seem to be hell bent on making users life an unnecessary shambles.

There are 91 records for Adobe on my PC and 78 for Java and as far as I can see, I get very little for it. I have`nt a clue where they all came from. Adobe Reader ? Why do I need this ? Apart from Adobe Flash, why do I need all the rest ?

If my highly respected colleagues cannot explain what the hell Adobe and Java are playing at, I will delete every single record for these I can find on my PC and do without them, except for Flash.

Flash seems to work OK now. Most video`s I select at random play OK, but one or two sites still block me off - don`t know why.
    JavaScript is still coming up as DISABLED on test after all that effort !

As far as I know, Adobe Flash and JavaScript are now on my PC and the plugins are shown as follows :-
    Adobe plugins FF 1.JPG
    Adobe plugins FF 2.JPG
    Java plugins FF.JPG

John B

19. John Bull

Update ; 23 July 10

The latest situation is that I now have Adobe Flash and JavaScript fully working inclusive of the necessary Plugins. Online validity checks say all is well and working and the programs are the latest versions. All random video's now play except for a few sites which did work OK a month ago, but do not now. I don`t know why this is, but life is too short and I can live without them.

I would like to sincerely and gratefully thank all the posters who have contributed to my two threads and given such a wealth of information and help which makes these threads very informative and well worth reading by others.

It is with some regrets I raised two threads, but I thought the issues of a video problem and downloading Flash and Java, plus missing Plugins were separate issues, perhaps not as pointed out, they can be adequately accommodated under the same umbrella.

Anyway, all you helpful colleagues, I reckon the matter has now passed it`s "Sell by Date" and we can put it to bed, unless of course anybody has some further significant points to make.

Thank you all
    John Bull

20. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

No point - merely useful. Good to hear you can finally view ;) that video I sent!

"I'm having problems downloading and installing Adobe Flash Player on Windows"

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83713.html

==========

Installing the Flash plugin (with link to Managing the Flash plugin)

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing the Flash plugin

==========

Offline installers are typically located on Adobe's "Troubleshoot Flash Player(s) installation" page:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

==========

And for good measure - "Using the Java plugin with Firefox"

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using the Java plugin with Firefox

Mazeltopf!

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I did send you a pm regarding a possible solution for this John on the 19th, did you get it?

22. John Bull

Stapp,
    I have just checked my PM inbox and there is not a message from you dated 19th July. I`m sorry, do not know what could have happened to it.

Can you resend it so I can see what you said ?

John

23. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Javascripting requires no plugin in order to 'work'.

Browser plugins will usually require javascripting within the browser to be enabled in order for a plugin to function normally, however.

Also, the Sun-Java JRE is an application and programming language entirely separate and distinct from javascript.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)

24. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

25. John Bull

I have an item "Java Console" listed on the drop down tab FF>Tools.
    Java Console version 6.0.21 is included in my Extensions. Do not know where it came from.

When clicked, nothing happens, seems dead. What is it and why is it there when it is doing nothing ?

FF add-ons https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5403/ gives a bad comment on this Java Console.

What do you think ? I can uninstall it.

John B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.