CWS.Searchx and About:Blank home page

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by BFeagin, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFeagin

BFeagin Guest

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME,
    I THINK I HAVE BEEN INFECTED BY THE CWS.SearchX trojan/virus
    I HAVE TRIED USING CWShredder and SPYBOT S&D. but it keeps coming back over and over and over and over...
    if anyone can help me crack this case and fix this pc I will be so grateful...

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi BFeagin,

Start with the following:
    Go here:
    http://www10.brinkster.com/expl0iter/freeatlast/PVtool.htm
    And download "Xfind.zip" from there.
    Unzip, run the 'find.bat' inside.
    Wait till it terminates and find 'log.txt' inside which
    you'd need to attach into your next reply.

Regards,

Pieter

3. BFeagin

BFeagin Guest

Hi Pieter,

First thing, I want to thank you for reply'ing so quickly back to me.

I went to the site and downloaded PV, and unziped it like you said, but i dont see a file called "find.bat" to run it like you asked me to.

Below is a list of which files is in my PV folder...

"app" (Text Document)
    "appkey" (Registration Entries)
    "pv" (Text Document)
    "pv" (Application)
    "prcview" (HTML Document)
    "runme" (MS-DOS Batch File)
    "runme9x" (MS-DOS Batch File)

Thats all i got whenever i downloaded the file you asked me to.

Thanks Again Pieter for replying.

4. BFeagin

BFeagin Guest

Hi Pieter,

Its me again, wondering if you classified the right file for me to run, or if i didnt recieve the right file when i downloaded.

Thanks Again,
    BFeagin

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

6. BFeagin

BFeagin Guest

Pieter,

Here is what i got whenever i ran the "find.bat"

C:\WINDOWS\System32\D3D.DLL +++ File read error

I have no clue what it means but... maybe you do

Thanks,
    BFeagin

7. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi Evil Trigun,

I am splitting your post off from this thread so it will get more attention. This both cuts down on confusion and adheres to the policy of only one poster with a problem to a thread. You can find your thread HERE.

Regards,
    Kent

8. dcobian

dcobian Guest

Hey Everyone!

I did all previous steps to solve this problem; nothing seemed to work, after a few days I will get the virus again.
    Finally I found the proper way to get rid of this virus.
    The key is to find the hidden DLL, since there are two, one will be modifying your internet explorer pages and resetting them to about: blank, the other is hidden and loaded at all times, first you need this program:

http://www.resplendence.com/download/reglite.exe

Open reglite and paste this value in the address bar:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\\AppInit_DLLs

Then double click:
    AppInit_DLLs

You should be able to see a file with this address:

C:\Windows\System32\"Hidden".dll

Clean your system with all the previous anti-virus programs.

Then in to the windows console (Windows set up option) go to C:\Windows\System32, there modify the file by using the Attrib command, otherwise you won't be able to erase it, another way you could, is to change the name of the file.
    Reboot your system and open reglite again, go back to the same key:
    AppInit_DLLs,
    Now delete the value.

That should do the trick

9. fut

fut Registered Member

would you mind explaining to an idiot how to get to the windows console?

10. dcobian

dcobian Guest

You can access the windows console (Windows XP) by going to the windows xp set up option when you are rebooting your system, or you could also get a boot up disk to get into DOS.
    What you want to do is access DOS before the hidden file is loaded into windows.
    I hope this helps.

11. fut

fut Registered Member

ok. I figured it out. I took away the read only attrib, but I can't delete it from reglite. Is there another way to get rid of it?

12. dcobian

dcobian Guest

Did you delete the file from the DOS prompt? or did you just changed the attribute on the file?, because if the file is not deleted or renamed from the DOS prompt you won't be able to delete it from the registry.

13. fut

fut Registered Member

YES! It's gone!

i just hope it stays that way. thank you so much for your help, and to Pieter also.

14. BFeagin

BFeagin Guest

well i'm glad i started this forum and somebody got help about it,cuz i still got me problem

15. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

bfeagin

please post a full hjt log so we can sse what the state of play is at the moment

16. BFeagin

BFeagin Guest

Here is a hjt scan list....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 9:51:39 PM, on 5/5/2004
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\winh.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Travis Miles\Desktop\Brandons ****, DO NOT TOUCH\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,Shellnext = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {243B17DE-77C7-46BF-B94B-0B5F309A0E64} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyside.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {EBC27528-6B12-4773-94C4-522EE6F1F863} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_3_12_0.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0E1230F8-EA50-42A9-983C-D22ABC2EED3B} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DadApp] C:\Program Files\Dell\AccessDirect\dadapp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Winhost] C:\WINDOWS\winh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Belt] C:\WINDOWS\Belt.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Find Fast.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSOFFICE.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Office Startup.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Related (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: MoneySide (HKLM)
    O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Pool 2 - http://download.games.yahoo.com/games/clients/y/potc_x.cab
    O16 - DPF: {33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} - http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6/E/F6E491A6-77E1-4E20-9F5F-94901338C922/wmv9VCM.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {BB47CA33-8B4D-11D0-9511-00C04FD9152D} (ExteriorSurround Object) - http://autos.msn.com/components/ocx/exterior/Outside.cab
    O19 - User stylesheet: C:\WINDOWS\color.css

Anything else you need?

17. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

to see if we can prevent the cws hijackers reinfecting you try this
    a workaround seems to be install a good firewall, lists here http://www.wilders.org/firewalls.htm if you haven't already got one and block these ranges of ports, both incoming and outgoing 209.66.114.0-209.66.115.255 and 81.211.105.0-81.211.105.255 and 213.159.117.0-213.159.118.255
    that stops the known cws servers responding or the hidden files on your computer updating. This works sometimes but not always, but it's a help. The problem with this approach is that some good sites might also be blocked (not many as all the IP numbers are in Russia and very few russian sites have much relevance to most people)

First download CWshredder from http://www.thespykiller.co.uk

boot into safe mode by following instructions here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406
    then as some of the files or folders you need to delete may be hidden do this:
    Open Windows Explorer & Go to Tools > Folder Options. Click on the View tab and make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked. Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and untick "hide extensions for known file types" . Now click "Apply to all folders"
    Click "Apply" then "OK"

Run hijackthis, tick these entries listed below and ONLY these entries, double check to make sure, then make sure all browser & email windows are closed and press fix checked

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll/sp.html (obfuscated)
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Winhost] C:\WINDOWS\winh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Belt] C:\WINDOWS\Belt.exe
    O19 - User stylesheet: C:\WINDOWS\color.css

Delete these files

C:\WINDOWS\color.css
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\npb.dll

Now Run Cwshreddder
    Close all browser windows, click on the cwshredder.exe then click "FIX" (Not "Scan only") and let it do it's thing.

Reboot After running cwshredder and as soon as possible follow this advice:
    Now as CWS Hijacks are normally installed via the byte verifier exploit in M$ JavaVM, just surfing a page with an infected applet can install it with no user participation. So once you’ve run the above, it is vital that you go here, click Scan for updates in the main frame, and download and install all CRITICAL updates recommended.

then
    Reboot normally &

Download and unzip or install these programs/applications if you haven't already got them. If you have them, then make sure they are updated and configured as described

Spybot - Search & Destroy from http://security.kolla.de
    AdAware 6 from http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download

Run Sybot S&D

After installing, first press Online, press search for updates, then tick the updates it finds, then press download updates. Beside the download button is a little down pointed arrow, select one of the servers listed. If it doesn't work or you get an error message then try a different server

Next, close all Internet Explorer and OE windows, press 'Check for Problems', and have SpyBot remove all it finds that is marked in RED.

then reboot &

Run ADAWARE

Before you scan with AdAware, check for updates of the reference file by using the "webupdate".
    the current ref file should read at least 01R302 03.05.2004 or a higher number/later date

Then ........

Make sure the following settings are made and on -------"ON=GREEN"
    From main window :Click "Start" then " Activate in-depth scan"

then......

click "Use custom scanning options>Customize" and have these options on: "Scan within archives" ,"Scan active processes","Scan registry", "Deep scan registry" ,"Scan my IE Favorites for banned URL" and "Scan my host-files"

then.........

go to settings(the gear on top of AdAware)>Tweak>Scanning engine and tick "Unload recognized processes during scanning" ...........then........"Cleaning engine" and "Let windows remove files in use at next reboot"

then...... click "proceed" to save your settings.

Now to scan it´s just to click the "Scan" button.

When scan is finished, mark everything for removal and get rid of it. (Right-click the window and choose"select all" from the drop down menu) then press next and then say yes to the prompt, do you want to remove all these entries.

reboot again

Go here:
    http://www10.brinkster.com/expl0iter/freeatlast/PVtool.htm
    And download "Xfind.zip" from there.
    Unzip, run the 'find.bat' inside.
    Wait till it terminates and find 'log.txt' inside which
    you'd need to attach into your next reply.

then post a new hijackthis log to check what is left

18. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

post by mikedg (guest ) removed as his suggestion is against forum t&c's and recommends a program that we spend ages removing as it is normally bundled with spyware applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.