File Upload Problems

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mlittle1105, Feb 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlittle1105

mlittle1105 Registered Member

I am a ESET Nod32 Antivirus user. Please note that although I refer to ESET Smart Security below, the software I am using is ESET Nod32 Antivirus.

Since buying a new computer (with Windows 7 as the OS) last week, I have been having problems uploading large files to various web sites, such as Box.net, Dropbox.com, etc... (I use these sites to share files with clients). The files appear to upload instantly (the upload meter shows it at 100% within a split second of starting the upload), but it appears that the file never actually uploads. I tried uploading a 25MB file to Box.net, but—after an hour—it still hadn't uploaded.

I did some quick research on Google and I see that there is apparently an issue with ESET Smart Security and Windows 7 that is pretty similar to the problem I am having. The suggested fix for that problem was to uninstall Smart Security. Even though I am using ESET Nod32 Antivirus, I decided to try it. Sure enough, as soon as I uninstalled the program and did a restart. Files are now uploading just fine.

I'm in between a rock and a hard place here. I can't really go without an antivirus app on my PC. But I also can't sacrifice the ability to upload larger files, since this is an important part of my business.

Does anyone know of any workarounds for this issue? If not, what security/antivirus product can you recommend in lieu of ESET Nod32?

2. mlittle1105

3. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Are you using any other Anti-Malware programs or a third party firewall?
    If you turn off HTTP scanning in EAV does uploading work again?
    What browser are you using?
    Is it only with bigger (zip) files? small (doc/pdf) files do work?

You could try using the latest 4.2 Beta release available @ beta.eset.com it has 'improved compatibility with Windows Filtering Platform'. I am using it since day one, it is very stable. It might be some bug which is fixed in 4.2.

I replied in the thread you are referring to (I guess), I for one didn't had problems with uploading files to Dropbox using Internet Explorer/Opera and EAV as some other did experience as well.

If disabling HTTP makes a difference you should make a wireshark log (if you know how to) and send it to Marcos as he explained in the other thread.

4. mlittle1105

Thank you for the advice, Brambb. I am using Firefox for my web browser.

Per your suggestion, I tried disabling http scanning in EAV and this appears to correct the issue. Upload is a bit slow (actually really slow compared to what I am accustomed to on my old machine) but it no longer appears to upload instantly w/no actual upload. So, for all intents and purposes, problem solved.

Disabling http scanning every time I need to upload a large file is a bit cumbersome and far from ideal, but it will get the job done for now. I have not yet tried the beta version you mentioned, but perhaps I will experiment with this when I have more time. Hopefully, ESET will address the problem in a future update.

Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.