Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

I uninstalled Prevx Edge and the Windows Action Center (W7) shows that Edge is working and up to date.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Could you try rebooting your computer or running:

sc stop wscsvc

followed by

sc start wscsvc

The Security/Action Center in Windows is a highly unreliable feature. I'm using Windows 7 here and have never had Edge stick around after uninstalling/reinstalling but I know our testers that work with multiple other AVs frequently have residual AVs sitting in the security center for no apparent reason after being completely uninstalled :blink:

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks,my wife is safe again:D

4. yashau

yashau Registered Member

I have a quick question. Is there anyway to use Edge to clean out a PC that isn't connected to the internet? :)

5. PrevxHelp

There is not. Edge does require an internet connection to clean a computer but if the internet isn't working for some reason, Edge will run diagnostics to correct the HOSTs file/LSP chain/driver stack/etc. so in most cases Edge will restore the internet if it stopped working because of malicious reasons :)

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Now that is way cool! Is there any visible sign that this is or has taken place...like a notification or something? Presumably if one disables the internet connection for some legitimate reason Edge will not re-establish it as it will find nothing when its run its diagnostics? o_O

If there is currently no notification it may be a good idea to include something along those lines, perhaps switchable on or off, for those more technical users who would like to be aware.

Come to think about it the provision of a log feature record salient internal activities might be a good idea and an entry therein re. the internet diagnostics being run would fit in...I think?

Anyway...just a thought...as usual! ;)

7. PrevxHelp

If the internet connection is disabled physically (i.e. unplugging it) Edge will only complain that it is offline but if the internet is broken because of an LSP chain issue, Edge will show a message to the user saying:

"Prevx Edge has detected modifications in your internet configuration which may have been caused by malicious software.
    An invalid entry has been injected into your LSP Chain with the filename:
    c:\maliciousfile.dll

Would you like Prevx Edge to automatically repair this issue?"

It will then correct the file and entry and then reboot the system and continue to scan :) If there is a malicious HOSTs file entry blocking access to Prevx or to any other popular security vendor's website, Edge will show this warning:

"WARNING: A malicious entry was found in the HOSTs file which may interrupt the functionality of Prevx Edge. This entry contains the data:
    [127.0.0.1 www.symantec.com]
    Do you want to remove this entry now?"

Edge will then correct the entry and restore your access to those websites :)

This check occurs just as the scan starts regardless of if you are licensed or not. We don't log this into the cleanup log at the moment, but it would definitely be a good candidate for it :)

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so meaning that prevx edge will also detect malware that affect your internet connection?that's good :thumb:

9. Baldrick

Hi Joe

As ever many thanks for the (i) very prompt and (ii) very complete answer. I suspect that most users did not know about this feature. :thumb:

That all sounds very good to me including the possible future logging of this in the Cleanup Log. I believe that this is under used at the moment and that could be of interest to the more technical user so perhaps a Preference entry to allow selection of the level of detail shown (not recorded) would allow the user to customise to their own preference o_O

I know that Prevx wants to keep Edge as light and compact as possible so this may just be seen as a possible 'bloat' feature...but as always, worth suggesting I think. ;)

10. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Thank you for the detailed clarification.
    I'm seriously thinking about buying this but since I format a lot and since the licenses don't work the second time I don't think I'm the right kind of person for it. :)

11. PrevxHelp

We never mind resetting your license :) (just out of curiosity, how often is "a lot" :D - 5 times a day might be a bit too much IMO but less than that should be fine :D)

12. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Hi Joe,
    Edge just seems to get better and better. After your explanation above re: offline scanning etc and the detailed warnings Edge will give I wonder just what else is in there we are not aware of yet. Yesterday I got a pop-up when testing Edge against the Ultimate Keylogger giveaway. Extremely detailed leaving no doubt about what to do - unlike many HIPS that leave you scratching your head with their uninformative pop-ups. All we need now is for Edge to give us secure Sandboxed browsing :shifty: and we will nearly there :D
    Also, in the previous long thread leading up to the release of Edge when it was referred to as P3 the question was asked if P3/Edge would have a Firewall included. I seem to remember that although the answer was no you mentioned that it wasn't a problem as P3/Edge would always alert the user to any rouge program trying to call home with confidential material. Could you expand/elaborate on this and explain what kind of pop-ups/warnings the user would be likely to see.

13. PrevxHelp

You will be surprised at how accurate this is :D

Internet access is not malicious by itself (its rare that you DON'T see a program use the internet these days). Edge doesn't have an internet-specific warning but our server-side analysis picks apart exactly where a program will try and contact and we then return back a response automatically. Generally, you would receive a warning with a detection of: "Information Stealer", "Banking Info Stealer", "Targeted Information Stealer", or "Password Stealer" (and a handful of others) if Edge detects that a program could be doing malicious things with your data :)

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

maybe a stupid question but anyway,we(me and familly)are new to prevx technology and are very curious about prevx edge virus detention and removal,i know and already tested prevx edge agints spywares/rouges malware types and as now prevx edge really impress us,now what about viruses?that's my only question?does it really replace my antivirus?i have avira free untill i get a concrete answer:) is it safe with out avira?do i really need avira and prevx or just prevx will protects familly's pc in real time againts viruses thanks

15. PrevxHelp

Edge's realtime virus (file infector) protection is extremely strong. We've developed algorithms which explicitly detect infected files and prevent them from entering/modifying other programs. However, file infector cleanup is a very horrible problem for any antivirus company because file infectors tend to damage programs beyond repair. Therefore, you will probably want to ensure that you have a backup of your system (even just a restore CD to replace the programs) regardless of what AV you use :)

Thankfully, file infectors are no where near as prevalent as other threats today :D But if you do just want to use Edge without Avira, you will be adequately protected against file infectors/other threats, however, no protection is 100% so if you can spare the couple CPU %, it might be worth using both if you're in a high-risk situation :)

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ah i see

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

in my case i am running in familly pc prevx edge/avira free/spyware blaster/malwarebytes antimalware pro,i just wanted to know if avira is an extra in my pc:D

18. Baldrick

jmonge, it is!

Personally I believe that a layered defense is the best approach and I believe (but correct me if I am wrong Joe) that the Edge's mission is to work the best within layers...as evidenced by the huge amount of attention paid to (and success at) making it work with other mainline security solutions...and that is where IMHO its strength is. You can run another security application that you are comfortable/happy to use and then also run Edge...so providing overlapping layers of security.

For me that is KIS & Edge...and boy do they work well together (with a little help from LinkScanner Pro, of course). :D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  19. PrevxHelp

:thumb:

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool thanks

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

:thumb:

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i also believe in security layers to protect familly identities:thumb: i tried to collect the best or near the best security softwares i can and prevx was one in my list:D

23. Baldrick

May I return the :thumb: ...I think that it is the goal of the great Wilders community...which is what makes the forum the best (sorry...a slight digression off topic! ;) )

24. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Answer a): :thumb: :shifty:

Answer b): That is just the kind of info I was looking for. *Intelligent* information. Not so and so wants to connect to the internet - allow - yes or noo_O

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeah;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.