XTROcash(2) protection disabled

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Page42, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yesterday when I went to download the 12/9 database update, I noticed that protection was disabled for 1 item... XTROcash(2). I've seen this disabling of protection behavior before and have come to understand that it is frequently associated with Spybot.

--> I'd like to suggest to Javacool that he make it easier to locate the items with disabled protection, when a user sees that is the case. Currently one must scroll through the 11,171 items looking for the red text, and it gets a little tedious (Sorry! I don't mean to complain!).

This finding reminds me that I need to periodically check with SpywareBlaster to confirm that all protections are enabled, because sometimes one or more of them get turned off.

Anyone else have XTROcash(2) protection disabled?

Note: I downloaded the Spybot update today and it has not affected the SpywareBlaster protection settings... so far. :)

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I found XTROcash(2) protection disabled again, this time on another computer. I looked back on this old thread and see this happened back in September also. Is this totally attributable to Spybot updates?

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

It's likely caused by Spybot (or some other program) that deals with those sections of the registry. I haven't had a chance to test and see for sure if it's Spybot, but if you re-enable protection in SpywareBlaster and it doesn't get disabled again, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

As far as your suggestion for more easily locating disabled items - I think that's a great idea, and I'll work on adding it to the right-click list for the next SpywareBlaster version. :cool:

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It's happened three times in four months.

5. javacool

Hi,

All on the same machine?

I'm setting up a test machine with a fresh install of the latest SpywareBlaster + Spybot, to see if Spybot is the culprit.

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Two times on one machine and one time on another. None of the occurrences happened at the same time, i.e. due to the same update of Spybot :)

It bugs me that another program disables that protection.

7. geko

geko Registered Member

Yesterday I updated SpyBot and now I have XTROcash (2) uncheked.

I enable all again and it seems to work. I close SpywareBlaster and open it again and all ok, BUT, if I open SpyBot and immunize again, SpywareBlaster has XTROcash (2) unchecked again.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I found XTROcash(2) protection disabled again on my computers. Right after a new Spybot update yesterday, too.

Edit in:
    Similar for me, but simply opening Spybot does not cause SpywareBlaster protection to be disabled. Neither does opening Spybot and checking for updates. But opening Spybot and running Immunization does cause XTROcash(2) protection to be disabled again in SpywareBlaster.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. geko

geko Registered Member

Yes, I thought I didnt apply the immunization, but I did. The problem appears again only when I immunize again, NOT if I open and close Spybot.

P.D.: I edited correctly my previous post.

10. DaDude

DaDude Registered Member

Originally Posted by Page42
    Similar for me, but simply opening Spybot does not cause SpywareBlaster protection to be disabled. Neither does opening Spybot and checking for updates.
    But opening Spybot and running Immunization does cause XTROcash(2)
    protection to be disabled again in SpywareBlaster.

I have to agree that each and every time
    Spybots S&D Immunization feature
    is engaged it removes the Protection
    for XTROcash(2) from SpywareBlaster
    under the restricted sites section
    of SpywareBlaster

11. Didadi

Didadi Registered Member

Hi folks. I have just joined - selfproclaimed newbie and not so tech-savy. Please bear with me if I dont make my message understood by all readers here.
    Reading from all posts so far lead me to take a closer at my problem of this XTROcash (2) thing. Other than having the same issue as what some spoke about involving the SD Immunisation function which I am having also, in addition mine occurred also when I went into the SD tools function with regards to 'Tweaks' ; what happened was when I checked and unchecked the 3rd box 'miscellaneous locks' to lock IE control panel against openning from w/in IE, the XTRO cash (2) also came out unprotected in red when I look at the Spyware blaster.
    I did a few trouble shoots (each time seeing the XTRO cash (2) in red in spyware blaster) which is very time consumiing as I reboot my computer a few times to do all these trouble-shoots, and this is my conclusion.
    Mine is a Dell 6400 laptop running Win XP SP3, using IE7 with few tabs homepages, and I have both installed SD 1.6.2 and SPyware blaster in addition to super antispyware which is run manually.

12. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Having same problems here on two home pc's (XP SP3) both running Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster.

13. Timmo

Timmo Registered Member

14. DaDude

DaDude Registered Member

That's all nice and well for an explanation of why SpyBot S&D
    has the listing for XTROcash(2) there Timmo

But the bigger issue as I see it is
    WHY is the SpyBot S&D Immunization feature removing the protection
    from Javacool's SpywareBlaster Database

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Today's Spybot S&D's update seems to have knocked out XTROcash(2) again.

16. javacool

Hi,

Today's database update ( 2/25/08 ) - just released - should help resolve this conflict. :)

Thanks to everyone for the reports and details! :cool:

And some background info:

For more details, please see this previous post.

It looks like Spybot S & D was doing something similar to what older versions of Spyware Doctor did - constantly removing protection for certain items, whenever you "enable" immunization.

It's perfectly reasonable for Spybot to remove protection for items no longer in its database, however removing it *constantly* (like older version of Spyware Doctor did) makes it impossible for users to elect to block those items themselves, whether manually or via another protection program. Luckily, the fix should be fairly simple for Spybot to implement - just remove protection once. That way, users have the full ability to choose what they want to block, without having Spybot unintentionally interfere.

Best regards,

-Javacool

17. DaDude

DaDude Registered Member

All seems well now tonight after this Update
    Many Thanks

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Javacool - Here's what I don't get... how can Spybot (or any program, for that matter) disable protections in your program? That doesn't make sense to me. I think of what it would be like if avast! could disable protection against a virus in Avira, or Symantec could disable a BitDefender definition for a trojan? Why is it that SpywareBlaster is in anyway susceptible to what Spybot does or doesn't do?

19. Carol30

Carol30 Registered Member

Thanks for the fix! :thumb::thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.