Can I restore a TI Home 10 backup to a Hyper-V VM?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davekolb, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davekolb

davekolb Registered Member

Can I restore a TI Home 10 backup to a Hyper-V VM? Ideally I would like to create 2 new VM's under 2008 Server with Hyper-V and boot the Acronis emergency CD/DVD to access my full .tib backups from the network and restore them into a VM. The two backups are Vista and XP systems. Is this feasible? What about drivers and adapters? Do support for certain drivers need to be installed ahead of time? Thanks, Dave

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello davekolb,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

You are unable to perform the desired operation by means of the Home versions of Acronis True Image because of different hardware. You should use Acronis True Image Echo with Acronis Universal Restore. A special option was implemented for Acronis True Image Echo products.

Here are the screen shots and comments on how you can set the desired configuration.

First of all you should create a full backup of your system partition (which is bootable) which will be converted to VM. For all the operations (backup creation and conversion) you should use Corporate Product line of Acronis True Image.

Step 1. Conversion of Acronis backup archive (*.tib) to Virtual PC (*.vhd)

Screen shot 1. Run True Image, click “Tools” > “Covert Backup to Virtual Disk”
    Screen shot 2. Conversion to Virtual Disk Wizard started
    Screen shot 3. On this screen you should select Acronis backup archive which will be converted to *.vhd file format
    Screen shot 4. “Microsoft Virtual PC” should be selected heree. You should specify the location where the *.vhd file will be saved
    Screen shot 5. You should specify the location where the *.vhd file will be saved
    Screen shot 6. Click on “Proceed” to start the Conversion
    Screen shot 7. Operation was started

Step 2. Import of Virtual PC (*.vhd) disk to Hyper-V Virtual Machine

Screen shot 8. Run Hyper-V Manager
    Screen shot 9. Click on New > Virtual Machine
    Screen shot 10. On this screen you can set the location where the Virtual Machine will be stored. You can use default settings or change them as we did
    Screen shot 11. Specify the amount for your VM
    Screen shot 12. Configure your network adapter
    Screen shot 13. Click on “Use an existing virtual hard disk”, then click on “Browse” and select the location where the *.vhd file is stored
    Screen shot 14. Click on “Finish

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      174.3 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      90.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      124.4 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      104.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      124.9 KB
      Views:
  3. davekolb

I understand the different hardware issue. I don't understand why Universal restore, if it is infact universal, won't restore to a VM replacing the HAL and drivers as appropriate. What are the chances that you enhance Universal Restore feature to directly restore a full disk .tib file created with Acronis Home? I'm quite willing to buy Universal Restore but don't want to replace my Acronis Home system or backups. Seems like there is an extra step having to convert from .tib to .vhd as Universal Restore could do this as part of the restore...thanks.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello davekolb,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Acronis Universal Restore was designed for using with Corporate products only. It most likely will not be implemented in Home versions of Acronis True Image. I may recommend you sign up at our web site http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/newsletter.html to receive Acronis' releases and special promotions information.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

5. davekolb

No thanks. I am going to switch to IFW since they do not charge extra for desktop vs. server PCs. Some of us at home want to run VMs for various reasons and I don't want to keep having to buy different Acronis versions to get the features I want. Just have a backup with all the features and sell per machine. I also don't like Acronis running services on my machine and don't like that you insist all the differentials be saved to do a verify. That last point is incredibly stupid and wasteful of disk space at best or a security exposure at worst [that you can;t verify if delete no longer needed differentials] depending upon how you look at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.