Intrepid Ibex wont restore in TI 10 - Help needed.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by temp850, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. temp850

temp850 Registered Member

Hi all,

I love my Acronis TI, it has helped me many times. I use it mainly from the boot CD and boy is it handy with Windows XP and Ubuntu.

My one concern with it now is that the latest Ubuntu (Intrepid Ibex) cannot be restored properly, except for a sector by sector restore which is very slow. I'm no expert but I understand the reason below is the problem:

"The reason for this error is, that till intrepid, ubuntu formats the ext3 - Partition with 128 I-Nodes. Intrepid (as also Mandriva 2008.1 and Mandriva 2009.0 where this problem also occurs) formats with 256 I-Nodes.
    Acronis Trueimage (which in the safeboot version is a linux tool!) can only handle the old formatting-version of ext3-partition."

See full link here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=899190

Does Acronis TI 2009 now have the ability to restore Intrepid Ibex? I don't want to move away from TI but like many people, I use Windows and Linux and Acronis has been very good at restoring both.

Thanks for any help given.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

temp850:

The Ubuntu forum thread that you referenced contains a reply stating that TI 2009 has the same problem with an inode size of 256 bytes.

I am about to upgrade my Kubuntu machine to 8.10 and plan on avoiding this issue by not allowing the installer to reformat the ext3 partitions that Kubuntu is installed to. The partitions currently have an inode size of 128 bytes.

As an alternative suggestion to you, if you've only recently installed Ubuntu and don't mind reinstalling, you could do the same and end up with an inode size of 128 bytes, which will be compatible with Acronis True Image. Some discussion of that is in this Ubuntu forum thread.

3. temp850

temp850 Registered Member

Thanks mate, yes I was aware that it was mentioned briefly in the thread that I linked to but I was just wanting more confirmation from TI 2009 users on this issue and you have done that.

Someone else has helped me re Gparted, it seems the only thing I forgot to do was mount the new ext3 as root. For now though, I quite like the Wubi install of Ibex in XP as I can still access XP when needed - mostly for my backups as all photography and website folders are there. I can easily backup this setup using Acronis TI 10 although its a little slower than usual as I have to backup the 10Gb Wubi image of Ubuntu.

Thanks for your reply and the link.

4. mikex11

mikex11 Registered Member

I just discovered this, but even though it takes a lot longer, and Acronis complains that there is a "problem" with the drive, it does create a good image and restore properly. I verified that last night.

So I suppose I'll slump along as is...

5. tonyseeking

tonyseeking Former Poster

Yeah I have this problem. I have successfuly being backing up Ubuntu Linux 8.04. Yet once I installed 8.10, TI11 won't back it up, it can only use sector by sector.

ANy solutions yet?

6. tonyseeking

Patience is a virtue :thumb:

As for me, I rather find a solution because a sector by sector takes hours backing up 300GB HDD

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Yes; see post #2.

Basically, you want to format your target partitions with an inode size of 128 bytes and then install. Don't let the installer format your partitions; if you do then you will end up with an inode size of 256 bytes, which isn't supported yet by TI. There are other suggestions in the Ubuntu forum thread referenced in post #2.

8. tonyseeking

Format target partitions with an inode size of 128 bytes using what format program?

9. mikex11

mikex11 Registered Member

I got another crazy idea - hows about Acronis taking a look at what it's customers use, and what's new out there, and providing up-to-date patches for their products to keep them current with what's out there.

:rolleyes:

10. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Any program that can format ext3 partitions, like gParted. Many of the Live Linux CDs (like Knoppix) contain a copy of gParted. Or, you can download PartedMagic or you can use Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director.

11. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Point well taken, but don't hold your breath. Windows users account for probably well over 99% of their customer base. Acronis had pretty good Linux support in versions 9 and 10. In version 11 they dropped the ability to save images to ext3 partitions, so that's not a good omen.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

I'm glad to inform you that support for 256 I-nodes was implemented in the latest builds of Acronis True Image Home 2009. The similar update is planned for Acronis Disk Director 10.0.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

13. Bujikan

Bujikan Registered Member

Hello,

i have build 9646 which is the newest version available while writing this.
    Is still have the problem with Ubuntu 8.10.
    What can i do to fix this, if True Image 2009 supports 256 I-Nodes?
    Please no reinstall on a 128 I-Node Partition suggestions, i have put to much effort into my installation.
    Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Mike

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  14. alan dodd

alan dodd Registered Member

Following help by Acronis Team (live chat - works well!) I managed to install Acronis True Image Echo Server for Linux.
    linux version: opensuse
    uname -r -> 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    uname -m -> x86_64
    Acronis build: 8163

Had errors in compiling snapapi26, downloaded and compiled snapapi 0.7.41.1, all went well.
    Now problem is I cannot backup some partitions:
    Message is : Some partitions contain errors. Create image sector by sector ...etc

suselinux:/var/log # sfdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 17849 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
    Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 0+ 32 33- 265041 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda2 * 33 50 18 144585 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 51 17848 17798 142962435 83 Linux
    /dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty

Disk /dev/sdb: 36472 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
    Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 0+ 36471 36472- 292961308+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
    /dev/sdb3 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
    /dev/sdb4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty

suselinux:/var/log # tune2fs -l /dev/sda2 |grep -i 'inode size'
    Inode size: 128
    suselinux:/var/log # tune2fs -l /dev/sda3 |grep -i 'inode size'
    Inode size: 256
    suselinux:/var/log # tune2fs -l /dev/sdb1 |grep -i 'inode size'
    Inode size: 256
    suselinux:/var/log #

e2fsck from an emergency boot live cd gives no errors

So I see that I cannot backup /dev/sda3 (wich is mounted as root partition '/') and /dev/sdb1 (which is mounted as /home).
    They both have 256 inode size.
    Instead I can backup /dev/sda2 which is boot, and has 128 inode size.

I gather ATI home 2009 now supports 256 byte i-node.
    Is Acronis planning to do upgrade to Echo server for linux?
    We are using the server in production, so don't intend to reformat.
    Thanks

15. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Can you please download the latest build of Acronis True Image Home 2009 (9709) from your account (My Account -> Registered Products) recreate Acronis bootable disc and test it.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

16. modemhead

modemhead Registered Member

Can you please indicate how one is supposed to do this if you're using an older version like TI 10 or TI 11 like the original poster?

17. Acronis Support

Hello modemhead,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

If you purchase the upgrade to Acronis True Image Home 2009 here, you will get the access to the build #9709.

After installing Acronis True Image Home 2009 under the supported operating system you will be able to create/activate a standalone version of Acronis True Image that will allow you to back up any unsupported operating system.

Also, the list of authorized Acronis resellers can be found at here

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

18. sakman74

sakman74 Registered Member

so, for TI11 users, they are out of luck with respect to backing up an ext3 partition ?

basically, we have to spend more money to upgrade to 2009 in order to have this functionality ?

19. sakman74

clonezilla will back up any partitions and restore them just fine...and it's free

20. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

TI11 will back up and restore ext3 partitions, but since it is unable to understand the 256-byte inode file system it will do a sector-by-sector copy. But it will work. I've done it with TI10 and it works.

21. sakman74

i know that, but sector-by-sector takes a long time, and it doesn't compress...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.