Norton Internet Security 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by swisscoms, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I noticed the AV adds an IDS add-on to Firefox.

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

3. swisscoms

swisscoms Registered Member

I gave it a try toda ytoo. Very nice app. No drag, and as you say it's not running in the background. The only thing it found, was a weak password for the system. I guess it is time to upgrade from my top secret password of 1234 then. :D

4. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

5. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

thanks for sharing with us.

So Norton is climbing up step by step. as in AV test, they are already on TOP.

In coming versions, they can be top in firewall too :D

6. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

Hey everybody head on over to Matt's web site and vote for him to review Norton 2009. His video on 2008 did good (5 stars). I would like to see 2009 in action. The poll is on the right.

http://remove-malware.com/

7. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

s/firewall/HIPS/ - matousec.com doesn't do any firewall testing. :p

8. Halo326

Is this all you do in here. Step on all others posts. Remember the old saying " if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all". Come on now dok grow up.

9. geepondy

geepondy Registered Member

Guys I can say after one day of trial usage I too am impressed with the speed of this app. In addition to files, programs opening quicker, one thing I noticed was that large movie files opened quicker as well.

Does anybody know when this program will be available retail? In the past I've bought the OEM version of Norton products from Newegg for typically $35 or so. I don't see it listed there yet.

10. doktornotor

Pointing people to matousec.com site as a reference for firewall quality is plain wrong, that's all.

(BTW, there's an ignore feature available in control panel in case you haven't noticed yet.)

11. Halo326

Be careful about buying software on Newegg. I know somebody who bought NOD32 and didnt get a user name or password with it. NIS will be in stores soon like Bestbuy. I 100% agree with you about the speed of apps. Norton doesnt slow your system down what so ever.

12. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

You are correct about NIS not slowing your system down. I noticed it immediately when I was beta testing, and the final version mirrors the same thing. I have to say (as I have in this forum) that NIS 2009 is one of the greatest AV achievements in a long time. Congrats to all. :thumb:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

would be interesting to see if the claims of oin the symantec website are true with regards to removing malware and bots.

14. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Could you clarify this statement? I see many people talking about it but I don't get the difference... o_O :'(

Thanks

15. geepondy

geepondy Registered Member

Well I can buy a product key online from Symantec for $50 so that isn't too bad, especially being good for three pcs. Best Buy will probably get $70 won't they? I'll wait for two week trial to end and then look for best price, perhaps Costco might have it.

A funny thing happened today. I use Thunderbird for my email client on a XP Pro system with of course NIS 09 installed. I went to send a particular email. It went to 50 percent progress and stopped. I tried it a few consecutive times, same result. I then composed another email, sent that no problem. Tried sending original email again, same thing only went to 50 percent. I then disabled Norton's email protection. I could then send message, no problem. I re-enabled Norton email protection and sent the message again. This time it got sent no problem. I wonder what caused the hangup? It was a regular text email, no attachments.

16. Halo326

Attached Files:

17. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

18. doktornotor

Uh... I'll try to be short (and thus definitely not precise enough).

1/ Packet filter

The old nice simple (stateful) packet filter which is protecting your system/network from the outside (inbound) connections according to the rules set. And yeah, you can do it the other way round (outbound) as well, doesn't matter as long as it stays on the packet level. The rules basically look like this:

source (IP|subnet|interface) - protocol (TCP|UDP|ICMP,... ) - source port(s) - destination (IP|subnet|interface) - destination port(s) - action (accept/allow|deny/drop/reject)

Examples - uh, extinct in Windows land; iptables on Linux, pf/ipf/ipfw on BSD.

2/ Application-layer firewall

The above plus you can make those rules per application as well (e.g., allow outgoing HTTP traffic for FF but not for MSIE, or allow incoming HTTP requests for Apache but not for IIS),

Examples - Kerio 2.1.x, Windows XP/Vista Firewall

3/ HIPS.

We could argue for ages about definition. Basically, HIPS is monitoring the behavior and actions of applications and services (processes) on a specific host and chooses actions accordingly, based on very complex rulesets. Mostly works via intercepting system calls on OS or even kernel level.

Examples - way too many, it's difficult to get a firewall product without at least optional HIPS these days.

Matousec.com marginally test 1/ and 2/ on levels 1-2 of their tests. All the rest (vast majority with huge weight) of their testing focuses on HIPS features (leak tests, termination tests, keylogger tests) and extremes such as driver and OS crash tests - which basically have zero in common with firewall functionality. Calling this firewall testing is extremely misleading, plus the effect really is that it's increasingly hard to get a simple firewall product since vendors all focus on the leak test madness. :mad:

HTH.

19. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Please start your own website with firewall tests. And test all other security packages too please.

20. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

The Safe Web works good but also blocks sites that are good (TweakTown Forums) for one that was good just hours ago. To test this I removed SafeWeb installed McAfee SiteAdvisor and then went to same site and ok. But to be fare the SW is still just a beta.

21. swisscoms

Agreed, the Safe Web will need some more fine tuning. Still one can just click the continue anyway link if its a known good site. :)

22. edd3800

edd3800 Registered Member

23. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

When it comes to is products Symantec still has a long way to go before they reach the level of KIS, 71 to 87 percent. But on the other had: what is all that leak test nonsense anyway.

24. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have not been a Norton booster for quite some time. But when NIS/NAV 2009 came out with all the fanfare about how much it's changed, I wanted to see for myself. So I downloaded an NIS 2009 trial and ran it for a few days.

To say I was shocked is an understatement. It was light years better than what I thought it would be. It's good enough that I'm actually considering switching to it. A week ago I would never have believed it. I honestly didn't think Symantec had a clue as to what has been going wrong for so long.

Now if they would only apply this train of thought to Symantec Endpoint Protection... (1 GB of RAM minimum, 2 to 4 GB recommended for a security producto_Oo_O??)

25. swisscoms

It is amazing isn't it, how a Company can get everything so right with two new products. It will I am sure restore a lot of consumer confidence. Like a number of posters here, the thought of changing to Norton from say Eset or Kaspersky, would have been unthinkable. But, I have been more than delighted with NIS 2009, and purchased a couple of license keys from their website.

I have a feeling this new wave of technology they are adopting will spread across to all their products in due time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.