counterspy question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It's a program I use.

A very good one.

I have noticed that merging of definition updates is taking more and more time. Minutes ! It's much slower than it used to be.

Does anyone have an explanation ?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Eric Howes commented yesterday @ the Sunbelt Froum in this thread concerning update slowdowns.

3. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Bubba:

The bit you quoted actually applies to the VIPRE beta users, not CounterSpy. The problem for both VIPRE and CounterSpy users is that the CounterSpy def updates are huge and those huge updates are causing problems both on the server side and on the client side-- it's simply a question of size. VIPRE users are affected by the huge CounterSpy updates because VIRPE defs (which are much smaller) are pulled from the same server.

In the next few weeks we will be rolling out VIPRE AntiVirus + AntiSpyware as well as CounterSpy Antispyware 3.0. Both use definitions that are much, much smaller than current CounterSpy defs. Even the full VIPRE defs take less time right now than the incremental CounterSpy defs. Once we implement incremental defs for VIPRE (expected in the next week), the difference will be even more dramatic.

So, yes, we know that defs have gotten somewhat painful of late for CounterSpy users, but that is about to change. Until we roll out these new programs/versions, I would recommend CounterSpy users force a "full update" if they encounter problems ("File >> Download Full Definition").

Best,

Eric L. Howes

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Combine all of what was said above Fly and hopefully that's the answer to your query.

5. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Do you a date when CS 3.0 will be released to the public? Also is there a beta for dat or just vipre?

6. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

GES/POR:

Barring unforeseen problems, I would guess that VIPRE will be released in the next 2-3 weeks, with CounterSpy 3.0 to follow shortly after that. So, we're close.

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.