ESS and printer server

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Kielty, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I am using ESS on one machine in a 4 pc home network. Attached to my NAT/Firewall router is a printer server which when ESS is in automatic mode cannot be seen. The status of the PC is 'allow sharing'

I wish to use ess in a form of 'automatic mode' without prompting of creation of rules etc. and was wondering if the following will suffice without compromising security to any major degree...

I first switched to interactive mode - created 2 rules to allow the print server to work and be seen. I then changed to policy based mode and disabled block all unknown outbound traffic, enabled allow all outbound traffic and enabled allow initiated inbound traffic.

Does this give the desired effect without causing major security issues?

Cheers..

2. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=201176&highlight=policy-based

Although a different subject, the above Post gives you what may answer your question. What's frustrating is that Jdeane thinks Policy-based is Automatic with Inbound Rules capability Only that was never disputed, while Marcos implies that P-b is Auto with Rules In & Out. One of his check/un-chk boxes is not named what he says but you'll recognize what he means. In HELP, Policy-based and Interactive definitions are the Same verbiage - so you would never learn a thing from Help.

Whoever answers this fully, please clarify that each Filter Mode "Rule set" is / is not Independent of the other ((ie) cumulative rules combo from P-b and Interactive ??) and does P-b involve "In & Out" rule making, or just "In" per Jdeane.

3. Zekeblue

Zekeblue Registered Member

I have the same issue running ESS with a print server wired to router. I can create rule in interactive mode and all is fine. In automatic mode, I haven't found a way to allow access to the print server. I am therefore running in interactive mode only, but would like the option.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Create the appropriate rule in the interactive mode, then switch to the policy-based (admin) mode and make sure the rules "allow all outbound traffic" as well as "block all unknown inbound traffic" are enabled. It will work like in automatic mode then and the rule you've created for printer sharing will be applied as well.

5. Zekeblue

Zekeblue Registered Member

I'm not following completely. I have the rule created for interactive mode. I can switch to policy-based mode. I have "allow all outbound traffic" as well as "block all unknown inbound traffic" set. What about "block all unknown outbound traffic" that is above "allow all outbound traffic"? Leave checked? If not, does this make ESS operate only as a one way firewall? Is that what automatic mode does?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.