xp sp2 will not come out of "standby"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by 072707, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 072707

072707 Registered Member

I am using the Wireless Ovation U720 USB modem, by Novatel Wireless. Yesterday I upgraded the "Sprint Connection Manager" software that I use with the U720 to version 3.09.013 Immediately after the upgrade the computer started to "crash" upon entry into "standby".

What I mean by "crash" is that the computer appears to go into a normal standby, but refuses to come out of it; I had to "hard shutdown" and, then, turn the computer back on.

I tried 2 things:
    1) End the process associated with Sprint Connection Manager/U720. This did not resolve the issue.

2) I turned off the computer, unplugged the U720, and restarted my computer. With the U720 unplugged prior to a restart the computer successfully entered and came out of "standby".

It appears that the U720/U720 driver does not support computer "standby" or "hibernate".

Would anyone happen to know of a fix for this issue?

I probably will not encounter anyone on this forum who uses this device, but I figured that was no reason not to ask. Has a "fix" for this been issued? If so, where can I download it?

I guess I could uninstall the new software and reinstall the software that never manifested this issue, but I am not so sure that would resolve the issue now that the "firmware" has been upgraded by the new software install.

Of course I have disabled "standby" at this point because there is no sense in letting my computer descend into a "standby" that I know it can not recover normally from.

----
    What follows is more of a rant than anything, I guess; so you can safely ignore it.
    ----

I contacted Novatel support with a description of the problem and request for a fix, but I am doubtful that they will respond.

If they do respond they will probably refer me to Sprint. In my own experience/opinion I am more likely to get a visit down my chimney from Santa Claus than to get any meaningful help from Sprint. More than likely, would never get out of hold.

This is what I can never get people to understand about my hesitation to upgrade/update anything computer software related. Too many times I have ended up with this type of situtation after upgrading.

The first thing I usually do with new software installs, especially when they are associated with hardware, is turn off the automatic update and remind myself never to update. I definitely should have never bypassed this advice when it comes to updating "Sprint Connection Manager".

2. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Get pissed and slam your mouse? :D

3. 072707

072707 Registered Member

No can do. Bought it from elvis' estate.

Cost me 735k.

4. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Shame on you.

5. ravin

ravin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.