MaxBlast

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kingsdave, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingsdave

kingsdave Registered Member

I can install the program but when I attempt to run it it tells me I must have a Maxtor or Seagate drive. According to Windows and Everest my drive is:
    Drive #1 - Maxtor 6Y080L0 (74 GB)
    Any ideas on how to get the program to recognize the drive?

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Which "program" have you installed? Which version, and which build.

How does "it" tell you you have a Maxtor or Seagate? Can you describe which screen it is on or provide a screen shot.

F.

3. kingsdave

This is the message:

To use the product, at least one Seagate or Maxtor device should be installed in your system.

You can purchase an upgrade to Acronis True Image Home edition by visiting www.acronis.com/promo/maxtor or by clicking on the Powered by Acronis logos that appear in the task wizards of the Windows application.

The program is Maxtor MaxBlast downloaded off the Maxtor site yesterday. They call it MaxBlast 5. I can't get into the program for a build number.

4. mustang

mustang Developer

That's a version of True Image 10. I believe it will need to see a Maxtor drive that was made after Seagate purchased Maxtor.

5. kingsdave

Someone else that's apparently tried it on several computers said the following:
    http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/576440-free-acronis-true-image-maxtor.html#post4748407

6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Interesting. Note that in the thread in the link provided, the OP stated he installed DISK WIZARD on a computer with a Maxtor HDD.

Ostensibly, DiscWizard is for Seagate branded drives but this person seems to have gotten it to work with a Maxtor drive.

Perhaps, the OP here should try downloading the version for a Seagate drive and see if that makes a difference. It certainly is counterintuitive that it would work with a Maxtor but stranger things have happened.......

7. mustang

mustang Developer

Here what I know so far. Last week I tried to use the equivalent program (Seagate DiscWizard) on a system with 1-2 year old Maxtor SATA drives. I got the same error message you got about needing to have at least one Maxtor or Seagate drive in the system. I just installed it on the same system that got a new Seagate drive two days ago. The system has two older Maxtors, a Western Digital and the new Seagate. All the drives are SATA. It works fine now. Maybe it is hit or miss about what older Maxtor drive will work.

The program is based on TI10, but is a simplified (limited) version. It can do the following:

Hard Disk Management
    Clone Disc
    Add New Disc
    Image Backup
    Image Restore
    Create Bootable Media

Manage Image Backups
    Explore Image Backup
    Mount Image Backup
    Unmount Image Backup
    Check Image Backup for Errors

It can only do full disk/partition backups. The "My Computer" button is active. The "My Data", "My Application Settings" and "My E-Mail" buttons are grayed out. There is no ability to do incremental or differential backups. There is also no ability to schedule any tasks.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Interesting. Just want to keep my thumb on this topic.

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I never could getr maxblast to work right reliably -- that was before I ws using ATI and before seagate acquired Maxtor.

Nice thing is, you don't need to use Maxblast to use the maxtor or seagate harddrives or ATI.

10. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The old Maxblast was some kind of overlay that allowed the bios to "see" large hard drives, wasn't it? And it was previously called Disk Manager, which some dubbed Disk Mangler. I never liked it. But the new Maxblast is now True Image in disguise.

11. taidi

taidi Registered Member

That would be enough for me as I only want to make an occasional image of my OS/programs partition. Data partition is backed up via a sync program.

I was intending to put a nice quiet Samsung drive in my new system - I wonder if my 250gb USB external Seagate drive would qualify as being 'in the system' ?

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kingsdave,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We would recommend that you contact the vendor from which the software has been received in order to solve this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yeah. Some disguise ;-) . Maxblast was generally intended as a tool to get a new drive up and running well enough the Win can see it and use it -- generally not necessary with XP SP1 and after. Some bells and whistles were added that purportedly did some kinds of testing and drive anyalysis -- if you were lucky enough to get the program to run and not whack out your system. Maxblast, as an imaging program reportedly only works if at least one of the drives involved is a Maxtor or Seagate -- an odd but obvious marketing limitation rather than a genuinely technical one. But a drive and get ATI for free. Would you be willing to pay a little more to get ATI and not have to take the Maxtor drive? ;-)

Yeah, maxtor/Seagate has clarely added Acronis ATI as part of the Maxblast program, with a few minor modification to the the basic windows, such as the program as "Maxblast" but with "Acronis" still showing in the window:

http://www.seagate.com/support/maxblast/mb_ug.en.pdf.

Back when I was still using Maxtor drives, I gave up on maxblast (the drive prep program) long before I gave up on maxtor drives -- the software was just too hard to get running. I gave up on the drive after early failures that both I and some folks I know were experiencing with various Maxtor models. I was sorry to learn that Seagate acquired Maxtor -- I had always had good results with Seagates and was concerned, after the acquisition, that Seagates might catch maxtoritis. ATI in bed with Seagate doesn't bother me, except for the connection to Maxtor. Let's hope that the stronger bodies kill off the infection instead of letting it spread. Otoh, I can't think of a better thing to have on hand than ATI if you have a maxtor drive. That's my personal opinion.

Last edited: May 29, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.