Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's what I have read in the Acronis Forums too, having raid = 0 is as good as having no raid.

2. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Not true at all. I have been using RAID 0 for 2 years and it is amazingly more responsive than a non-raid or raid 1 system.

I have measured both using the same Raptor 10K drives. I can hardly wait for the new flash drives to be manufactured in larger sizes. 64Gb coming soon for laptops along with an adapter from Addonics.

Silver

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You misinterperted what I said. What they said was it acted like a c: drive in terms of what you could or couldn't do. Has nothing to do with the performance issue. I do see a measured improvement also.

Pete

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

My understanding and from actual experience is that USBflash (pen) drives have a limited life expectancy rate when using them for launching programs excessively and not for storage.

I don't know how tru this really is but i came across some USBflash (pen) write-protect programs that are designed to curtail it's mileage and keep them from dying out from such use. It does makes sense to me since i lost one myself from running programs directly from one of them too often.

Is this true? Need clarification to this if possible.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

6. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Quote from https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=938084&postcount=225

I installed v2.6 and used Notepad to paste and all went OK. :D

[Notepad removes all the formatting (bold, colors, etc) when you copy from a web page.]

V2.6 registration info is here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=925327&postcount=12

I sure do appreciate all the hard work everyone has done to test the program. :thumb: :thumb:

Mike

P.S. I got PS 2.6.0511 from http://powershadowsecurity.com/PowershadowDownload.aspx (md5sum = 6c257b1aff27ad366116d474ba49242d)

Edit: fixed typo in md5sum

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  7. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

This was my reply from author of PS :
    individual use 2.8 edition

9. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Virtualization technology is very interesting. I am considering incorporating this type of product into my security suite. Can someone that has used both products compare and contrast Powershadow and Sandboxie? These are the 2 most interesting to me.

I know that they don't work exactly the same. But I am curious about the level of protection that each product offers.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Just a friendly reminder, although PS is an excellent and a freeware(up until now, perhaps? pending where you have the d/l), the relationship between its original creator(Mr.Poa, hoping the translation is correct) and so-called Chicago-based HQ is NOT very clear. And I am still awaiting any of the more than 20,000 registered users of PS in USA to come forward to say just a hallo, but where is the beef ?. After racking in more than US$ 800,000 at $39.95 a piece here and then retreated, their move just makes me two bits of mindspinning. I have seen a cloud looming on the horizon, hoping it can be cleared up when it gets here. Have a nice day.

11. ErikAlbert

The question is : when PowerShadow is active and a malware install itself, will it be able to do its evil job or not ?
    If it can do its evil job, you are not protected against malware, you only have a good removal tool of malware and this removal only occurs AFTER reboot. The period between TWO reboots can be long enough for a malware to execute itself. I have the same problem with FDISR. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  12. Peter2150

THis is the problem with ANY virtualization concept. One thing I like about Sandboxie is it seems when you run in the sandbox you can't get to stuff outside of it. I need to test more. Also it is easy to recover downloaded stuff, and finally no reboot need to get rid of anything.

I am also leary of the absolute guarantee of safety on the Powershadow website. Nothing is that absolute.

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

14. Peter2150

Yep been following that other thread.

Just ran a simple test. 1) ran notepad from within sandbox, and edited a text file sitting on my desktop. Then exited notepad. The real file on my desktop was unchanged. When I went to delete the sandbox contents, the I was told there was a file potentially to recover. I could recover it to it's location which would have overwritten the real one, recovered to a new location, or just skip it, which I did. Deleted the sandbox and it was gone.

So recovery is simple, but also the change can be removed without reboot.

Also ran Winzip from the sandbox and was able to zip up files in my doc's. But again the zip file was contained. Whether malware could have sent it anywhere is for other protection to prevent, as it is for other malware to have prevented it getting there. If malware tried anything but a simple install it would have failed anyway.

So to answer the question posed the advantage I see in Sandboxie is not having to reboot.

Pete

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

For me, I know this is ot, Sandboxie has a more useable option set.
    I was very heartened by the Av-Comparatives test of virtualizers and sandboxes
    ( you saw this?: on AVC page>Comparatives> Oct 2006: Comparison of various protection tools : Sandboxie impregnable ;) )

So: no reboot, safe, will not let your current system snapshot be hosed, can open anything at any time in any/the sandbox; can retrieve files from the sandbox, easy delete of the sandbox etc as per promises.

But, not a good option for malware tracking !! lol.
    PS or ShadowUser options can watch and log the malware and they do provide a "universal security"

Different tasks may need Slightly different approaches.
    Seems to me both may have a role in different circs.

Both have a good price.
    I'm just starting to wonder how many tools I can have launching kernal drivers and protection hooking the same kernel before my box sort of dissolves. :D

regards.

16. ErikAlbert

OK. This time, I frooze Sandboxie in my on-line snapshot permanently. I don't need another software like PowerShadow, but I might need Sandboxie to protect me against installation of malware and hopefully against execution of malware, which is the worst part of malware.
    Any malware that passes through Sandboxie like butter, will be killed as a bad change anyway by my frozen snapshot after reboot.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  17. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I know this is off the point of the current topic, but I assume PS does not need a new thread. After a reformat, I re-installed geoshell ( I just like it, ok) and shadowtip.exe just dissapeared from my machine. Checked DSA and it is not quarrantined, and I only use a router/FW. PS seems to be working fine, but I wonder if Shadowtip has anything to do with explorer. Just curious. OK, carry on with the topic. Thank you.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'm not one to throw cold water on what others experience as good and stable sandboxes, but for the life of me i never ONCE been able to use sandboxie for longer than a single day. It hates my unit and always fudges up my machine as in slow response all the way to the occasional freeze ups. I gave up on it as recently as this last version. Could be maybe because i strickly use Service pack 1 instead of 2? I dunno, but what ever it is i don't keep trying something over and over again like Sandboxie especially when it makes itself clear it refuses to run stable. Besides, with Power Shadow which IS very stable and smooth, theres really no need to box in IE, APPs, Email and all that when you can dump any session from shadow-mode with a simple RESET/REBOOT, and i also have extensively tested PS with rootkits plus malwares (Gromozon, Haxdoor, etc.) and have yet to discover a single trace PS might have left behind. If you don't believe it, donwload a copy of RootKitUnhooker or any other deep forensics tool like even Ice Sword and check for yourself.

POWER SHADOW!!! ......all the way

19. Seishin

Well, in other words it's free for home use, right?

How do we prove this if the site says that it's paid software?

Regards.

20. Meriadoc

Hi,
    Seishin check pm.

21. namdog

namdog Registered Member

I think application level virtualization such as sandboxie is a great idea, but I had similar experience as EASTER.2010.

I have one Desktop, two Laptop and about 10 Virtual PC ( half are VMWare and half are VirtualBox), but Sandboxie doesn't work good (freeze in 10 minutes) on all of them three month ago and two weeks ago. I am really really unlucky.

PowerShadow is simple, handy and rock-solid stable. No matter how I abuse it, it has never let me down.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Same problem. I haven't a clue what drives Sandboxie to always stall the screen and fudge my PC as it does no matter what version i've tried. I almost got it to work stable once but it soon exhibited the same old conflicts and that was plenty enough for me to uninstall it and get it off my machine as quick as possible, then things returned to normal again.

Power Shadow does everything expected from it for me and doesn't in the least even hint at any issues or conflicts and is why i am so high on this program. Malware/Rootkits are "Locked" inside it's virtualization and then dismissed completely after a simple reboot, and thats all i need to prove it's well worth keeping indefinitely!

23. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'll have PS on this computer until it dies, or something better comes along, and it would have to be a whole lot better before I'll even consider changing.

24. Seishin

Well, you must be like your avatar, truly a magician, lol!

Unnistalling sandboxie is virtually impossible since it hooks into the kernel and the only way to get rid of it is format C: I tried to uninstall this software in the past (version 2.6) and zilch; maybe they corrected this in future versions.

Cheers.

25. Meriadoc

I understand some of the problems mentioned about Sandboxie and I know what is contributing to the problem. If there isnt a problem Sandboxie works well, very good program with some attributes I'd like to see in PowerShadow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.