Full backups with different file names

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Robert66, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert66

Robert66 Registered Member

I have scheduled a full backup, but I have noticed the previous backup has been overwritten. I want a full backup every day, but now I only have one backup because when a new job start this job overwrites the previous file.
    What I want is in a week seven full backup files.
    How do I setup True image to make this possible?

Thank in advance

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

What is the backup drive, internal, external, or Secure Zone on the Source?
    Perhaps there isn't enough room to hold more than one full backup. And what is the version of True Image that you use.

3. Robert66

Version 10. There is enough place on the disk.
    I just made a backup, the backup of yesterday has been overwritten now.
    Thats not what I want. HOw do I set up True Image to get 7 different files, when I make a backup every day of the week?

4. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Set up seven tasks - one named for each day of the week to be run on that day, once a week. Then they will overwrite the previous weeks corresponding day.

To save time and space, you may want to run one task as an initial full backup once a week with another task to run differentials on the other days. Then you will get one full and six differentials. If you do this, you may want to also have a couple of fulls to run on the 1st and 15th of the month to have some history in case of a problem not caught before the weekly full overwrite. If you defragment often then this will not save space.

5. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Robert66,
    Use the Backup Location feature available in Version 10. I've attached a text file with step-by-step instructions, just adapt it to your needs.

Regards, CatFan

EDIT: I agree with you that full backups are the best way to go.

Attached Files:

6. Robert66

that's what I mean, and it's working great!
    Thanks!

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robert66,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that you can find the detailed information about Acronis Backup Locations in chapter 7 "Backup locations management" of the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The managed backup locations feature in ATI10 obviates all the fiddling around with multiple tasks, manual renaming, batch files and the like just to get scheduled backups with unique filenames. It's the best added feature in ATI0, imo.

9. kidtriton

kidtriton Registered Member

I noticed that the example file that was created in that text document had an .tib extension on it. Does this mean that the image file can be mounted and restored without the presence of that backup location, unlike an image created by the Backup Server feature of 9.1 enterprise server?

10. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand your question, so I hope this answers it. The .tib files are created in the Backup Location, but once created can be copied or moved to another location and still mounted and/or restored independent of the Backup Location. I have zero knowledge of 9.1 enterprise server.

11. kidtriton

kidtriton Registered Member

That's the answer I wanted, and unfortunately for me (enterprise user backing up 12 servers), my "Backup Location" is what is called "Backup Server" in enterprise, but anyway, the files it creates look something like this: A2DE3-AS234-FS354-SFSAA with no file extension at all. They do not work by theirselves, even if you change the filename to have .tib extension. That Backup Server feature keeps a database, called BACKUP.FDB and that's the only way it knows what the files are and allow you to restore from them. That is bad for me because I really want the auto-management feature of Backup Server, but don't want to be stranded with unusable image files if my Backup Server is not available (disaster recovery). Hope I explained that well enough, and you can read more about my pain with this here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172009

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.