On Outlook email backup keeps crashing A10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bryce-T, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryce-T

Bryce-T Registered Member

Every time I try to do a back-up of my Outlook email I get a microsoft message saying the program has a serious error and needs to close.

Anyone else have this same problem? Is there an error with the program? I'm using the trial version of AT10 and Outlook 2003 SP2.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bryce-T,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that as I stated in this previous post of mine the issue with backing up MS Outlook or MS Outlook Express settings and messages using "My E-mail" option of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home is known already and Acronis Development Team is working on this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Until this problem is corrected, this thread should be a sticky -- it seems to come up often enough, taht a sticky would save folks time.

4. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Registered Member

this is the ONLY reason I PAID to upgrade from 9 to 10....

what is the status of this?!?!?!?!?!?

5. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Registered Member

Really...whats up?

6. VikingNet

VikingNet Registered Member

:( I have the same problem with French version of TI10 (obtained from Micro Application). I there a solution that could be soon released ? Has support an idea of the time to wait for it ? :(

7. nfs_champ

nfs_champ Registered Member

same problem with the german version.

unbelievable that such a major bug was not found in the qs-testing and the product was released.

8. peter.blaessing

peter.blaessing Registered Member

I can confirm this annoying issue, occurs with the english version, latest build 4871.

Any idea when an update will be available?
    It's a whilie since this build was released, cant believe it takes that long to fix this issue! :mad:

Thanks
    -Peter

9. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We are still working on this problem along with the Development Team and will do our best in order to provide you with the solution as soon as possible. We will highly appreciate if you wait for a few days more to let us complete the investigation. Please accept our profound apologies for the delay.

As soon as the issue will be fixed, the new build of Acronis True Image will be created. I will post on this or another thread related to this issue when this build will be available. We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. beaver

beaver Registered Member

Same problem here. And I am using a freshly reinstalled XP SP2.
    Like other people in that thread I am really annoyed. TI 9 is available on ebay for a few Euro. And TI 10 is not offering anything more except the email back up. The program settings back up seems rather poor to me. Not many useful programs in the list and a test showed that TI definitely did not save my customised toolbars in Excel.
    On top of that the creation of the secure zone is not working under windows running, only when I do it from booting the CD.

Somebody already wrote it: Admin, please make this a sticky post !

11. JBMedeiros

JBMedeiros Registered Member

Im Waiting 4 months so far.

Whatever more 1 year the new version ATI11 is published and Acronis Guys make we buy another version for a solution that not work in ATI10. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

How do i get my money back?:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

One should not, imo, have to pay for an upgrade just to get a working feature that was advertised in the prior version but simply did not work. It is my understanding that, at a minimum you are entitled to a refund under the implied warranty of merchantability -- Basically the product must basically do what they basically say it will do or bascially they can't keep your money. I don't think this implied warranty can be waived with any disclaimers unless they proudly pronounce that this product doesn't work. ATI hasn't done that so it shouldn't be a problem getting a refund. And by shouldn't be I mean that it would be morally if not also legally wrong.

It should be as easy to get a refund as to make a purchase. Try PM-ing Acronis.

sh

13. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I agree with the spirit of what you are saying - but the Uniform Commercial Code (and the implied warranty of merchantability) only apply to the US. Not all forum visitors purchased ATI in the US ;)

F.

14. pklosky

pklosky Registered Member

FWIW, Acronis is not the only firm struggling to get at the Microsoft Outlook Email data. I use "Google Desktop" to see my outlook email, and it gets confused about dates and also fails to find many obvious targets. By this I mean you ask to see a message that has certain text, and the Google Desktop fails to find the message. So I use a two-step strategy - try Google Desktop because it is quick, then resort to the very slow Microsoft Outlook search.

I agree that if a feature is offered, and not delivered, there is a breach of the contract. A refund would be a minimum, as there could be consequences beyond that.

15. nfs_champ

nfs_champ Registered Member

it does not matter that acronis is not the only firm struggeling with outlook. what matters is the fact, that other firms have managed it.

to follow your example with the desktopsearch, try "superior search 2005".

back to true image - i got rid of it.
    i found a different tool that can back up outlook even when outlook is open and running. that tool also can back up files, folders, supports scripting and jobcreation, ... so all i miss is the image. and therefore i reinstalled my old true image 8.

sorry acronis, but true image 10 is a bug. and that there is no hotfix within 4 months is a joke.

16. RodM

RodM Registered Member

OK, I'll toss my hat in here as well. I bought ATI and the disk suite 10 yesterday.

Here is what I get from time to time

http://images.fotopic.net/ylnxz0.jpg

I initially wouldn't get this error, and OE would get backed up, but when I retore, there were no messages, only the address book (even though I selected everything to backup, it did seem odd that I couldn't just select the top folder check box, but rather the one below it along with the address book check box).

Is this what everone else is experiencing?

Another problem I had, if it is really a problem, is with the secure zone. Is was created on a unallocated portion of my hardrive, I guess this is OK? The problem is I thought that was supposed to be "secure" from other programs. What I found was when try to install Vista on a partition, Vista said there wasn't any volumes that it could install on, (the screen showed all my partitions, and even though I had 3 primary, everything was shown as logical, including the 45 gig primary I had set aside for Vista). It wouldn't install where I wanted, so I tried utilizing one of the "other logical partitions. when I selected a logical drive to use and format it, it didn't do anything, but when I went back to my win xp install, all those logical partitions were gone along with the secure zone. Thankfully, the restore partition worked and brought back a logical drive that had a ton of files on it that I hadn't backed up yet(but you can bet I have now:)). Yet there was no longer my secure zone or the backup image I created on it.

As far as backing up OE, I created a shortcut on C to my OE backup Store and also backep up the address book to the shortcut. I created a backup of the shortcut directory and restored it to my desktop and it was all good to go.

17. JBMedeiros

JBMedeiros Registered Member

RoDM

Our problem is with Outlook 2003 (Office Version).

If have problem with another outlooks Acronis need to close the doors and open a McDonalds...

What they are thinking about sell a program that not worko_O?

ATI9 works fine but ATI 10 is a bug.

18. dt63944

dt63944 Registered Member

It's unfortunate that you're not running windows XP, there is a File and Settings Wizard that you can schedule in the Task Manager that you can use to backup your Outlook email until Acronis completes their fix.

19. dt63944

dt63944 Registered Member

I don't understand why you reverted to an old version of Acronis because the new version didn't backup Outlook files using the "email" shortcut. What else besides this is broken that forced you to go back to version 8? You didn't mention it.

As I noted in a different post:

It's unfortunate that you're not running windows XP, there is a File and Settings Wizard that you can schedule in the Task Manager that you can use to backup your Outlook email until Acronis completes their fix.

20. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

What is the purpose the new feature to backup mail?

Just do image backups full, incremental or differential) and ALL files will get backed up, there's nothing special about mail files.

21. Chinookman

Chinookman Registered Member

Please explain what the process is to a noob..image back up of what whole disk all apps or what..?

Like many others I have a need to back up my e-mails and contacts.

I've read the feedback on New Egg and did not listen and now it seems the poster are correct that tech/customer support seems to be non-existent.....and I will go back to New egg and submit a new feedback after trying for three days to get many different combinations of the user's guide to back up outlook 2003... no go yet..:thumbd:

22. Chinookman

Chinookman Registered Member

I would be glad to use that feature but have not had any success it keeps telling me that I am not the administrator. I even went into default mode to check my admin password and it worked fine. But the task manager would not take it.

It's pretty frustrating when a software company advertises a performance level and it does not even work much less perform where the heck is the QA folks in this process before releasing it for public sale?

23. jjbtnc

jjbtnc Registered Member

i think what he means is if you make an image of the partition or disk that your email files are on then they will be included with everything else. Not great if you don't need to back up the disk/partition and just want to do a small backup of emails or essential files.

You could however do a data/files and folder backup and just backup the files that you would need to restore your emails.

For example if you use outlook (not outlook express) all it's settings and you mail etc are stored in a .pst file. From memory it is somewhere like c:\doc and settings\username\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst (that's a very rough guess by the way) so you would browse to it and select it and then continue through the backup process.
    Outlook express stores it;s emails in .dbx files that are in a similar place in a folder called identities i think - so you could browse to that folder and select it to include it in a file backup.

Which files and folders you need to select for backup will depend on what program you are using and where it's settings/files are kept - needs a bit of research, which is why it would be good if the automated outlook etc backup worked!

Another thing is if you do do it manually with TI you might as well not bother - don't use TI just backup the required files manually using your cd/dvd burning software just as if they were any old plain jane files. They would be more accessible than if they were contained in an Acronis TI tib file.

24. Acronis Support

Hello everyone,

Would like to let you know that a new build 4940 for Acronis True Image 10.0 Home was released.

The build contains certain fixes including the fix for the issue with backing up MS Outlook settings and messages using "My E-mail" option. You can find more detailed history of changes in "Product Update" section of you account.

Please download and install the new build 4940 of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in order to check how the product works.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

25. A.Plewe

A.Plewe Registered Member

Hello,
    I can't find an update for my german version. Last build available is 4871. When will an update be available of the german version?
    Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.