KIS or Antivir for zero-day threats

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Iangh, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Having read a lot of threads and tried a few programmes I have decided I am definitely a scan and block person who wants to rely on the software to do its stuff with little/no help from me.

Standard HIPS/sandbox are not for me.

In the recent October av-comparitives report KIS did very well.

I have antivir free at the moment.

Which is better for stopping zero-day, Antivir Premium or KIS Anti-virus?

BTW, I would appreciate cheapest place to buy in any replies.

I have LNS for my firewall and am very happy with it.

Thanks
    Ian

PS Tried Cyberhawk but it slows a-v scan dramatically. Any news on new paid version that would hopefully stop CH interacting with a-v scans?

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: If you are as lazy(or should say layback) as I am. I do have some pointers for you. Try ShadowUser or DeepFreeze Standard, either one will give you worry-free moments of PC time. Within frozen state, you go about your routines; surfing, online adventures or worse. When your journey is ended, just reboot and everything is back to the way it was. Yor still need good Fw, and reliable AV, such KAV to provide extra layer of defense. Why not try them out, you might find something you never experience before.:thumb:

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Seeing as you prefer to scan and block I'll put my 2 cents worth in.

For zero day attacks an AV would have to implement heuristics which from what I have read in various forums that Nod32 would have the best protection against such threats.

Take into consideration that last zero day attack early this year with around 200 variants most AV's offered no protection till their blacklists were updated with Nod stopping a lot of the variants but not all.

FF with no script run through Sandboxie , Kav and Comodo F/W here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2006
  4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I don't think any of them will protect you from zero day threats. You would have to go with something like prevx or socketshield.

5. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

KIS/ KAV 6.0 Proactive Defense Module takes care of that part, and the new heuristics for Kaspersky AV will help on that too. :thumb:

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with Franklin.
    An av with good heuristics should help.AntiVir has heuristics.
    AntiVir Premium or KIS?
    You will have to try them one at a time to find out what's better for you.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

When you are willing to pay: KAV with PDM is really good.

You have tried sandboxes + HIPS, but have you also tried DefenseWall (works seamless)?

8. btman

btman Registered Member

KIS for zero-day threats for sure.

9. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

BitDefender 10 AV, very good Heuristic too. (B-Have 2)!!

Mike

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

With MP1, KAV's ProActive defense has been fully turned on and the result is a large number of popups. You need to configure a LOT more than you do with ProcessGuard and using (for me) a too small font that can't be changed. PG has a nice sized font for the GUI when making rules. I can barely read KAV's and I have no idea what a "daughter" process is nor do I want to know. I had really liked ProActive Defense, until MP1. I had to turn it off as there were too many popups and a conflict that wasn't there with the 299/303 builds and even later betas but is there now with ProcessGuard. KAV's Proactive Defense is a classic HIPS. It is excellent, no doubt about that. But I simply don't want something that has to be configured to the nth degree in tiny font to boot! I didn't like SSM when I tried it either due to umpteen zillion popups that drove me nuts. A few popups, such as what I get with ProcessGuard is ok but more than that and minute configuring (like with Kerio firewall) is something I don't want.

You would probably do best with NOD32 as they currently have the best heuristics. KAV will finally be getting a lot better heuristics with the due date of December but that could get pushed back a bit because KAV is now concentrating on get a version ready for Vista. KAV's new heuristics may well give NOD32 a run for its money once we get them and since KAV already has the best engine (signatures)....

You might also look into sandboxie.

One other thing. KAV has ProActive Defense. You wouldn't need KIS unless you want the firewall which is not very good.

11. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

IMO I think currently Antivir has the best heuristics, even over NOD32.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

on amazon.co.uk kav is £20 and kis is £30 down from £35 from about two days ago.
    is it worth paying for KIS?
    note f-secure firewall hasnt blocked anything since I got my nat device
    lodore

13. extratime

extratime Registered Member

For zero-day tests I would look not at the av-comparatives October report but at the Retrospective / ProActive test in May 2006 for a more relevant test.

NOD32 has traditionally had the best heuristics but Antivir is catching up (albeit with a few too many false positives), and Kaspersky is known to be very fast at adding signatures for new outbreaks.

Personally I like NOD32, but if you made me choose between KIS or Antivir I couldn't. Both are also very solid IMHO.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  14. EsoxLucius

EsoxLucius Registered Member

Kaspersky has a very powerfull reputation behind in being the first on issueing signatures for 0day threats, I haven't tested out Antivir, but BitDefender also had over the time many short response times regarding threats and as tec505 said the b-have engine is very good. Just think about the VBulletin incident :D http://www.virusbtn.com/news/vb_news/2006/10_06.xml

But as the topic isn't "The best AV for 0day threats" :)... I'd say the best is Kaspersky.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But are great and you cant go wrong with either.

16. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

If I buy Defender Pro do I get KIS Anti-virus?

3-user licence for 30USD?

Ian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.