Small problem with TI10 Home.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jezza, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezza

Jezza Registered Member

I've just upgraded to TI 10 from version and 8 and have a small problem (or maybe not). I back up to a secure zone on a second internal hard drive. True Image made a complete back up of my primary drive and verified it but if I start the recovery process (just wanted to see if it would work) I get an error saying 'Unable to read sector xxxxx of hard disk 1'. I can ignore this and proceed. If I boot into the Acronis recovery manager and try the same I don't get the error message. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it an error in the software or is my image corrupt? It shouldn't be a hard drive problem as I bought a brand new 200 gig drive yesterday.

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Is the "disk 1" the new 200gig? Make the bootable TI Rescue Cd and boot with that to recover the image - see if you get the same thing.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Run chkdsk X: /r on hard disk1 where X is the drive letter assigned to it. If this is the new drive and it hasn't been formatted, format it and assign a drive letter.

I had this problem the other day on my C drive when creating a backup and chkdsk showed that it had some bad sectors. I will now be monitoring the drive more closely since this will get worse not better.

If this is the new drive then I suggest you try and return it since it should not have this problem (bad sectors are taken out of the useable area by recording in a rom on the drive when manufactured) so a new drive should not show bad sectors. Drive manufacturers will tell you most of the problems with new drives are because of rough handling during shipping. If so, it also means there now can be small particles floating around inside the platter area which sooner or later will cause more problems.

4. Jezza

Jezza Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Ralphie-I tried tried starting a backup, having booted from the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and I didn't get this error message at all. I haven't actually restored an image but just wanted to go through the process to see how it was. I've never had a problem with restoring images in previous versions.

Seekforever-I'll run checkdisk on the drive. Will it work on the Acronis secure zone partition?

5. Jezza

Jezza Registered Member

Well, I've just run check disk on the NTFS partition of the second drive (it has 2 partitions, the larger of which is a secure zone) and no errors were found. I'll run a piece of software called Spinrite on the secure zone partition and see what that says.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

chkdsk will not check the Secure Zone AFAIK since it is hidden from Windows.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jezza,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers (there drivers for Acronis True Image 10.0 Home only), install it and see if the problem still persists.

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Download SnapAPI.dll

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the downloaded one

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file.

The log file will be created on the C:\ partition. The name of this file will be snapapi[date-time].log

Also please create Acronis Report which would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. asmas

asmas Registered Member

hello
    I have exactly the same problem. My (C-Drive) Disk 1 is a NVIDIA Raid 0 and there are no problems with those 2 disks.
    Installing the suggested new driver does not help either.
    What's next?
    rgds
    Andre

9. Jezza

Jezza Registered Member

Thanks for the ideas Aleksandr. I've been emailing with Acronis support and am waiting to see if they can figure out what's going on here. They seem to think that it might be a driver or software conflict with True Image.

Asmas-perhaps you should contact support too? If this is a True Image problem then the more of us that contact them, the more likely it is to be fixed.

10. asmas

asmas Registered Member

Jezza
    To be honest I thought that the problem was caused by my Nvidia Raid 0 array. I installed TI10 also on a laptop with 1 disc and a Intel proc and that works fine. I upgraded from TI 9. TI9 had no problems. I also tried Workstation 9 and again no problems.
    This is what I have:
    XP Pro Sp2
    Asus A8N-SLI
    AMD 64 3500
    Nvidia Raid 0 on 2 Samsung SATA Discs + 1 IDE Samsung with Acronis Secure Zone
    Are there simularities with yr PC?
    rgds

11. Jezza

Jezza Registered Member

No, nothing too similiar there. I have a 4 year old Dell system with 2 IDE drives, one as the master with all of my data on and the second as a slave with a 100gb secure zone and about 85gb in free space but with no data on. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

12. DougGGaff

DougGGaff Registered Member

Hi Aleksandr,

I’m seeing the same error. Chkdsk isn’t showing any problems.

Question on the Acronis drivers link you provided above: are these newer drivers than what is provided with TI 10 Build 4871?

Doug

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello asmas and DougGGaff,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

If the Acronis Drivers does not solve the issue please collect the information I have requested in my previous post 7 of this thread and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please also note that the build 4871 of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home contains the same version (build 303) of Acronis Drivers as the separate package. In some cases there might be a possibility that during the installation of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home some software prevent Acronis Drivers from installing correctly, therefore, one might need to run the separate installation of Acronis Drivers to make sure it was installed.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. asmas

asmas Registered Member

hello
    It took a while but I think I found the problem. If you have yr SZ on a seperate disc you will see in XP that this disc has only the SZ (and perhaps other partions) but not the hidden boot partion of approx 7MB.
    With Acronis Disk Suite you will see that hidden partion. Remove that hidden partion and TI 10 works fine.
    I assume that this difference with TI 9 is there because of Vista compatability. Vista cannot be installed on a disc with an "old" bootsector.
    rgds
    Andre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.