Please Stop 5 Second Registry Rewrite

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by siliconman01, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

me too because i downloaded the filemon and wow! ewido is the about the only one runnning every minute. Even AVG Antivirus is not doing it like this.
    This needs to be fixed like asap.

robin

2. robinb

robinb Registered Member

you know I just bought this program because I felt it was a good one but since it is writing to the registry every minute I do not want it to use up all my 160g HD space just for this program. If I do not see a fix for this soon I will ask for my money back. I will give you to the middle of August and if I do not see a fix then, i will ask for my money back and just keep it as a free program.

Please someone from Ewido respond!

robin

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I can't believe ewido using all your 160g HD. Though I read a lot about ewido consuming I cannot reproduce this on my system. It's always like the attached screen and all options of ewido activated.
    That said I am sure there is something on some sytems but not pure ewido related.

Gerard

Attached Files:

4. robinb

robinb Registered Member

the jpg that you put here- what program did you use to show that?
    I mean what program are you using to show all that info?

robin

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Robin,

While regmon does show the registry keys ewido is querying every second not minute....that in is not effecting your hard drive. While it is also true that ewido is attempting to take action against it's appropriate registry Run key....that also is not effecting your hard drive. I reckon what I am trying to say is that ewido is aware of the 5 second improper read and is working on a fix. What I hope you do not do is abandon a good program based solely on a false hood that ewido is "writing to the registry every minute" or that it's using up your hard drive.

Bubba

6. MGhell

MGhell Registered Member

The screenshot is from Sysinternals Process Explorer

7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Add that to ewido guard and see what the total is.

8. robinb

robinb Registered Member

add what? I lost you.
    How can I check to make sure ewido is not writing bytes to my HD
    I looked at filemon and it is running every second but how do I know it is actually writing bytes?
    Which utility will show me this?

robin

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2006
  9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Add this?

Attached Files:

10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Have you fixed this problem yet?
    A client of mine is almost at the end of his trial and before I go and tell him to purchase it, I would like to know if and when Ewido is going to fix this.
    thank you

robin

11. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

It is not a real problem. It simply writes the SAME key again and again. Will be fixed with the next build that will be released via online-update. As it is not a bug requiring an immediate update (you wouldn't even notice it without using tools like regmon) and we want to fix some other things prior to the release first (and also again decrease the resource usage), I can't really give you an exact date but it will be in the near future... :)

12. robinb

robinb Registered Member

good enough for me Peter, you have always been open with us and have responded. thank you and I will inform my client to purchase it.

robin

13. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Here is a little tibit of all you filemon, regmon, process explorer fans: I got this from Microsoft technet:

The buzz last week, especially for you Windows admins out there, was Microsoft's acquisition of Winternals Software, the maker of systems recovery and data protection tools for Windows-based enterprises.

Along with Winternals, Microsoft also picks up the popular Sysinternals freeware site, so the famous utilities such as RegMon and FileMon live on in the Microsoft realm. What does it all mean? First off, Microsoft vows to meet all Winternals customer support agreements through their terms. Second, Microsoft will look for ways to integrate the technologies with existing Microsoft technologies. And the question on everyone's mind: Will any Winternals products take on the Microsoft brand? OK, we don't have an answer yet, but read Winternals's co-founder Mark Russinovich's blog for his thoughts.

I think if you do not have these free products- now is the time to aquire them before MS decides them to not be free, just in case :p

robin

14. mowhan

mowhan Registered Member

I know am splitting hairs but i do think its a problem especially if your using online armour,it causes online armour to have cpu spikes every 5 seconds and for people like me who play online games and like to have all there security running its a pain,the only way i know of stopping this problem is disabling start up for ewido which is ok but sometimes i forget to start it when windows start so please fix this little problem soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  15. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Per Mike Nash, if you have Ewido checked to track changes in Online Armor just uncheck it. This will remove the 5 second spikes. These two programs are pretty trustworthy anyway I'd say...:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2006
  16. pbparker

pbparker Registered Member

Where exactly is this setting and Online Armor? I'm looking through all my ewido settings and don't see that setting.

By the way, disabling basically every setting (all shield options, resident shield, auto-updates, etc) won't stop the registry parsing.

17. robinb

robinb Registered Member

You have to go into services as an administrator and stop the ewido guard and then put it to disable. Then the registry rewriting will stop.

robin

18. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

Why would I want to disable the guard? Because of a little registry write? That really shouldn't bother anyone...

19. robinb

robinb Registered Member

He asked what would he have to stop to completely stop the registry write from happening and the only way to do this is to stop and disable the guard.exe in services.

Not that he should or should not disable it.
    If you read back a bit like in page one of this topic you will see alot of ppl are upset over this one and want it fixed.
    robin

20. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

Actually my question was badly formulated; it was meant at all the people who want to disable Ewido protection because of 1 (one!) registry rewrite every few seconds. This has absolutely no impact on performance. I have applications that do hundreds of writes per second, and it doesn't impact my computer's general performance.

To me this is an absolute non-issue, and Ewido is doing the right thing of not rushing a "fix" out for this.

21. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

This action by ewido has an impact on other security programs that are monitoring the HKCU.../RUN and HKLM.../RUN registry keys. As I stated before in this thread, it causes RegDefend to log 17280 log entries per day; it causes Spy Sweeper and others to check the validity of this registry update every 5 seconds, etc., etc. If ewido is the only security program on the system or if the user has no Startup registry protection programs running in tandem, then it is no big deal.

22. robinb

robinb Registered Member

what about Windows Defender beta 2? that works like spybot- it watches the registry but it runs as a service not an application.

I have that one
    and I see rewrites all the time
    robin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.