A lot of clicking !!

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Lou_Dinunzio, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lou_Dinunzio

Lou_Dinunzio Registered Member

While updating an app, I had to click RegDefend about 30 times to finish the job. Is there any way around this ?

Thank You

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Hopefully the next version has a button to easy and fast disable regdefend while installing benign software.
    I usually disable regdefend whenever I install something and enable it when the install is done..

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

My personal preference is to always disable RegDefend before installing software or anytime I know numerous alerts will occur. However....you yourself is the only one qualified to answer are you comfortable with the fact you trust the software you are about to install. Once the software is installed and after I re-boot....which is always part of my procedure....I then might keep RegDefend enabled as I execute that program in order to begin establishing Application rules for that program.
    Would not right clicking the tray icon and selecting Disable in regards to RegDefend be considered "easy and fast" :doubt:

Attached Files:

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific..
    I would like an option in the first popup where I tell regdefend that it is an installation. Then regdefend would ignore that particular installation only but still protect the rest, as oppose to now when you disable the whole regdefend. It has happened too often that I forgot to enable regdefend again. Or atleast if the tray icon should show that someting is disabled.

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I think that's going to be difficult. How would RD be able to determine without a doubt whether a particular event is really part and parcel of the install in question?

I certainly second that! :)

6. Lou_Dinunzio

Lou_Dinunzio Registered Member

I'm not sure it really matters. With RD disabled I was not able to update the software. Registry refused new entries. Enabled RD, all went well.
    Thanks for the input.

7. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

In that case I guess you're still running the previous version and need to update...

In the latest version disabling RD, either via the Tray icon or on the 'Home' tab, does exactly what it promises: RD will stop monitoring your system, and won't block any changes.

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I second the vote on the idea of a tray icon indicator when it is disabled. Have a bright red X show on the icon...:thumb: :D

9. f3x

f3x Registered Member

A third the idea of the tray icon.

However it's part of a GUI redising that is long due and should be done after normal features....

|----------------------

To Tonny Klein and Sukarof:

I second that ... i have made a description of a instalation mode a while ago that i think would adress this need

TK, in my vision of thing you should give an installation process witheboard and those permission should be (temporarly ) given to all it's child process.
    THere isnt really any difference between giving temp full access to a particular process and disabling GSS. Actually temp full acess is more secure.

Please make a comment if you agree or have any modification to this implementation of instalation mode:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=567167&postcount=115
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=567175&postcount=116

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  10. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Strange, why do I not have this option? Right clicking only provides me with EXIT - see my screenshot. Running RD 2.001?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2006
  11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

:doubt: Do you have a screenshot of what yours actually looks like instead of what one should look like ?

Are you saying that compared to mine....which is what the pic in your post represents....you only have an Exit box ?

If I am understanding you....you state you are "Running RD 2.001?"....does that mean you are using the stand alone and is not the whole Ghost Security Suite which includes Appdefend. If that's the case....I would think that's the reason you do not see the same menu.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Here are the options when I right click RD

13. bigc73542

here is the version I have.

Attached Files:

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yeah....as mentioned above....having Regdefend only would simply have an Exit menu item. Having the whole Ghost Security Suite(Appdefend\Regdefend) is where the additional menu items come from.

15. bigc73542

Good to hear, thought I might have been ripped off :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.