AV License Allowing More Than One PC

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Debating what I will do in getting AV for two laptops, me and my wife. Looking for the best AV that allows use on more than one PC.

Right now, I see F-Prot allows use on up to 5 computers for home license. I used it in the past and I might just install the new beta to see how well it might work.

Anyone know of any other good AV's that allow more than one PC on their license and thanks.

Gary

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Unless they have changed, Bit Defender does, but it may be limited to two computers.

Jerry

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think it was for a laptop and a desktop, rather than two PCs. Am I correct?

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

That may be the case, as that is what I was using with permission. There is a BD forum that can answer the question.

As I recall the license could be used for 2 computers by one person. I do not recall if one had to be a PC.

I posted the question on the BD forum.
    LWM: ~~ link not allow on Wilders ~~

Hope this helps.
    Jerry

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Sorry Jerry, but we don't allow links to that forum. Someone from that forum has tried to spam that link here hundreds of times, as a result, it is not allowed to be posted here at all.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

BitDefender - Offers use on 1 desktop PC and 1 laptop computer
    BullGuard - Can be used on up to 3 PCs with unlimited number of operating systems
    F-Prot - Can be used on 5 PCs
    Defender Pro (Rebadged KAV) - Offers use on up to 3 computers

I'm not sure if any more AVs allow such flexble licensing without having higher prices. NOD32 and Dr.Web offer some discounts for family packs, even though it costs much more than what the products mentioned above cost.

7. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks for replies. I will see what I can do but F-Prot especially if version 6 has great improvement may be what I will settle on.

Gary

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Sorry, and thanks for the reminder.
    Jerry

9. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Much of the time, one can find free, or low cost, AFTER rebate 3-user versions of Norton Anti-Virus.

Check places such as Buy.com, CompUSA, Circuit City.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have noticed avira antivir PersonalEdition Premium is only 20euros per license which is about £13 so for two licenses its only £26 for two licenses which is about the same price as one license for say kaspersky nod32 bitdefender and so on. so it might be worth a look at. if you live in the usa use the translater at xe.com to convert the price.

11. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

I really cannot understand why AV companies do not allow 2 or even 3 machines per license for home use. They would surely sell more units which is the idea?

12. Howard Kaikow

13. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Microsoft OneCare allows 3 PCs.

14. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Who cares? :D

15. Firecat

OneCare--->One Care--->That one = Micro$oft :D

16. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I just won't use Microsoft OneCare even if it is free!!! :D :D

Ah....Should be Microsoft Don'tCare or BugCare :D :D

17. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Personally I can't help but pronounce it Wan--r (or Onecare said with a Cockney accent).

Fairy

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well the less intelligent users would simply buy the same AV for each of his/her computers meaning more profit for the company.

19. Howard Kaikow

Gee, I learned something today.

I guess that ethical people are less intelligent.
    Has that been proven by scientific studies?

20. WSFuser

i didnt say anything about ethics. im just saying that if an AV is licensed for only one computer, a person would have to buy more copies (for each individual PC) thus more profit for a company.

if the license was for multiple PCs, the company would have to make profit by having more customers instead of selling more copies.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  21. Firecat

And wouldn't there be more customers if licenses covered more computers, especially in developing countries? ;)

22. WSFuser

maybe but im no expert in business anyhow

23. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, but this doesn't apply to some families which have only one or two PCs, and they will not be able to take advantage of the multiple PCs (e.g. 5PCs for F-PROT) license per family.

If multiple PCs is allowed for a family license, I would prefer a multiple-year (e.g. 5 years) license per PC, instead of one license for 5 PCs, for the same amount of money. Dreaming only.. :D :D

24. Howard Kaikow

Some companies, especially Symantec, make the software free, or at low cost, after rebates. Hoping to sell licenses in the future.

This strategy is used in other industries. For example, give away the razor, but sell the blades. Give away free samples of products to lure more customers.

In the case of AV software, if you have no more than 3 systems, the software is effectively free AFTER rebates, if you are willing to use NAV, and, to a lesser degree, certain other vendors.

If NOD32 and Kaspersky are really that good, they could use the same strategy.

In effect giving away the software for home/self-employed use, but building a customer base that will buy the product in commercial shops and places that need say, 5-10 or more licenses.

And the license should be on a PC basis, so it could be installled on multiboot systems.

Otherwise, I, and others, will likely stick with NAV.

25. furballi

furballi Registered Member

SYMC's goal is to get NAV on your PC. Unfortunately, it is very difficult for a novice to completely remove NAV from the PC. There are better alternatives out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.