Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dysthymia, Aug 10, 2004.

1. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Adding the media components to TAPE so that You can use the One Button Disaster Recovert option from TAPE

Thanx in Advance
    Jeremy Otten
    Netherlands

2. wrcad

wrcad Registered Member

When verification fails, how about a MsgBox to alert the user. As it is, the only way you'll see the failure is by going to the log. For people who don't want the MsgBox, just include a "Don't show this msg again" checkbox.

3. JothiS

JothiS Registered Member

Re: Wish-list thread

This would be very nice !!!
    An option to restore images on a sector based level would be fine, too.

4. JothiS

JothiS Registered Member

Saving partition A from partition B and restoring it from partition A
    leads to an active but hidden partition A. It causes a blue screen at
    startup. Other combinations lead to erroneous MBRs, too.

It would be fine, when TI would recognize and catch such errors,
    and offer some possibilities to correct it.
    I guess, this would be easy to implement.

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

It might be useful to rename 'removable drive A' on the rescue CD for TI to something like 'backup drive' or just 'removable drive'.

Using the 'A' designator might lead people to think of their floppy drive.

Colin

6. tf3

tf3 Registered Member

Ability to have start on schedule (like windows scheduler).

7. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Let Universal Restore detects all drivers. Instead of only HAL and Massstorage drivers

8. Ragious

Ragious Registered Member

it would be splendid if the comment that is entered while creating the image can also be seen in the comment field of the file properties in Windows explorer. This way, one could add the comments column to the explorer view and have a nice overview of the images and their comments.

9. MadBison

MadBison Registered Member

Hello

Great product. A lot of people I respect kept ranting about TrueImage until I purchased it.

But it seems like the UI itself has been neglected. A lot of wieird things...

1) When you are creating a new image, and use the Acronis UI to create a new folder for the location to save the image, the new folder window pops up with "New Folder" as the default folder name. But it is not selected, so if you just start typing the folder name, it is prepended to "New Folder". The text "New Folder" should be selected so that I do not have to select it and delete it first.

2) If I do create a new folder using the method above, I cannot rename or delete it. I have been using the boot from CD version, created a new folder using TrueImage, it enter before deleting "New Folder", and there is no way to fix this. In the Windows installed verison, I can open File Explorer and change it, but that is a pain. In the CD boot version, No way to fix it.

Thanks
    David

10. teco

teco Registered Member

An update for for the boot cd creator and for creating the secured zone:

Sometimes there is a need to add various kernel parameter to the CD or Boot image inside the secured zone.

If would be better if these kernelparameters could be selected directly by creating an recovery boot cd or the boot image inside the secured zone.

11. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

I wish for the ability to add comments to a .tib file after it is created.

This would be particularly useful in the case of images made by scheduled task, to note something particular about them after they are created.

12. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

I would like to see that too.

Also, is it possible to add the "time transpired" during the backup and restore process? At present the total time left is fine, but not very accurate, especially when it is restoring.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  13. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

I don't know whether this has been suggested but reading through a thread and with this statement

it struck me that the posters on this forum could contribute to editing the manual. I am sure that for those who would like to volunteer, their input would be greatly appreciated. All that would be required is to have a specific register so that those concerned could edit the manual thus ensuring that it would be constantly up to date. To ensure that the edited material was correct, the editing would not be finalised until an Acronis rep approved it.

I am aware that some would feel that they should not be doing the work for Acronis.

As I said, this would be done on a voluntary basis. Maybe a reward system could be implemented, such as getting a free copy of one of the products after enough points had been accumulated from the editing.

14. boblite

boblite Registered Member

Please improve the "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" window by adding code that would allow the user to select any full backup as "permanent", and also to deselect "permanent" backups, and also to delete full backups.

NOTE: Motivation behind these requests is there are some backups one would like to save to be able to revert to particular machine states.

15. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I for one would be very upset if the simple FIFO method of managing Secure Zone images that is used at present was changed in any way. If a user has a need to select any backup as"permanent" this can easily be done by storing the image to another media at the time of creation or, if lacking this foresight, an existing image in the secure zone can be mounted and then copied to any supported media location that would be suitable.

Long live the Secure Zone FIFO management.

Xpilot.

16. flekstor

flekstor Registered Member

Three requests I would like in order of priority:

1. Support for backing up encrypted drives

2. Strong encryption of password protected images

3. Smarter removal of old backups in the Security Zone when there is not enough space for a new backup. An example:
    Day 1: Full backup A
    Day 2: Incremental backup A1
    Day 3: Incremental backup A2
    Day 4: Full backup B
    Day 5: Incremental backup B1
    Day 6: Trying to make new incremental B2 but no space left. Therefor the incremental backup A2 should be deleted. Still not enough space then also delete A1 etc. I.e. do not delete the whole Ax if it's not necessary.

An alternative would also be to make it possible to manually delete old backups in the Security Zone.

17. shieber

shieber Registered Member

it would be nice if the switches such as "acpi=off no apic" could be bult into menus instead of requiring F11 and then command line entry of the switches.
    Maybe an Advanced Startup Menu?

18. Brian R

Brian R Registered Member

Dear Acronis,

There is at least one place in TI9 where you are asked to create a password without being asked to confirm it (when creating a scheduled differential task).

This is very dangerous as a simple "invisible" keying error will make every subsequent backup created by that task unusable.

I can't recall any other software where I have had to create a masked password without being forced to confirm it.

So, to summarise my request, whenever a new password is being created it should always be confirmed.

Thanks,
    Brian.

19. mdjerome

mdjerome Registered Member

Not Product wish item but a Forum wish list item:

Once and for all split this true image forum into two! One for issues relating to Retail / end user products and one for enterprise level True image products.

It is maddening to have to go though hundreds and hundreds of these threads trying to get to some one or some issue relating to implementing these products at a corp level. Problems in the enterprise level are very different from end user stuff and it would be very very nice to have one location we were enterpise users can talk and relate and work through the problems.

Over the years this has been brought up many times. Hey Acronis what is so hard about this?? You don't see companies like symantec with their live state and ghost suite products mixing their support up along with their retail products. It's separated out for a reason. Enterprise support people need much broader and much deeper technical support options.

20. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Now that Enterprise and Home versions have a common source code base (starting with TI 9.0 build 3567) I would have thought there is less reason to split the forum since many problems are now more likely to be common to both classes of user.

21. nilesf

nilesf Registered Member

1. The ability to automaticly eject tapes after a backup.
    2. The option to select software and/or hardware compression.
    3. Ability to mount backups on tapes to restores selected files/folders.
    4. Option to use B.I.T.S technology in cases of remote connection failure.

22. smallpotato

smallpotato Registered Member

One-Stop-Shop burning software incorporated directly into/with True Image that supports current and future media needs. I.E. Dual Layer DVD±R's to burn large (over 4GB) .tib images.

23. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Registered Member

Security of backup disks

Even though nothing on my computer is of any earth shattering improtance, I would be embarrassed should my back up disks fall into the wrong hands. My concerns relate to "off site" disks which are not under my physical control.

For this reason, I choose to use password protection, even though I understand my data is not encrypted and could therefore be vulnerable to a hacker clever enough to bypass a section of code in ATI.

In spite of this, I believe the password protection is sufficient to keep out casual sticky-beaks and even the average computer enthusiast.

What is a concern is that the "unused" space on my off site hard drives may contain fragments of sensitive information which almost any computer user could recover without much trouble.

I am aware there are many programs around which are capable of wiping stored info from disks, but for convenience, would it be possible to include an option in the backup wizard to wipe unused areas of target disk?

24. compu-doc

compu-doc Registered Member

Would like to see Acronis add the ability to make multiple incrementals throughout the day, Symantec Ghost 9 and 10 have this feature (about the only thing I like about Ghost !!!). Also endorse other comments here re automatically merging incrementals into a new base image when they reach a certian size or age. Alternatively an option to schedule the creation of a new base image as often as you wish, be it daily, weekly or monthly.

25. porty

porty Registered Member

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know if this suggestion has already been put forward. Up to now, it's definitely not been implemented.

When carrying out a disk-to-disk cloning operation recently with TI, I had a bad moment on completion when it seemed that TI had wiped the source drive, in spite of my having specified that the original data be left undisturbed. Fortunately, all that had happened was that TI had de-labelled the source drive, (a secondary, 'D' drive) so that when I disconnected the target drive and rebooted, the original D drive had disappeared.

However, I was able to relabel the drive via Disk Management and all was well.

My suggestion, which also applies to Migrate Easy:

With reference to cloning operations, have the option for 'Keep' or 'Delete' data on the original drive in a more secure place, like a basic options or preferences menu, so that the option in the Wizard is no longer available.

In my opinion, just placing a DOT in a circle in just one selection menu seems rather fragile to me, and wouldn't take much of an aberration in the software to result in the source drive being obliterated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.