How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wdormann, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

Have been backing up to a hard drive up till now and just getting into backing up to DVDs.

Could someone explain the advantage of making bootable rescue DVDs that have backup files on them as opposed to just burning one rescue CD and from that point on buring only the .tib files on DVDs?

It seems that one could put more data on the first DVD without having the bootable rescue stuff on it. Just keep using the same bootable rescue CD for all subsequent restores. Sounds simpler but I'm probably missing something.

Thanks,
    Skyhawk

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't think the rescue programs are all that big compared to a DVD. However, I am curious too because my simple impression is that it is a lot more bother than its worth especially if everything doesn't fit on one DVD.

I trust we will both be enlightened soon as to why this is a good idea.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Good morning vareniky,

It is clear now that you have a basic problem with TI 9.1's ability to produce an uncorrupted image to your hard drive. Until that is resolved there is absolutely no point in trying to create a bootable rescue DVD.

Finding a solution to TI's corrupt images is well outside the scope of this thread and you need to persue it further, either in a new thread or via this existing one titled <E00070020: The image archive is corrupted - TI8> (I see that you have already posted in that thread). Good luck.

Regards

4. Menorcaman

Hi Skyhawk & seekforever,

The only reason for creating a bootable rescue DVD is that there is one less optical disk to misplace or become damaged :cool:.

Going by the length of time this thread has been running and the number of viewings it has received (49,508 as of now) it seems to satisfy a particular need :D.

Best regards

5. Skyhawk

Thanks for the feedback and this thread is very popular indeed.
    Skyhawk

6. Menorcaman

Hi folks,

I assume many TI users will be updating/upgrading to the long awaited new build (3567) of TI 9 Home (from what I can tell so far, it's a big improvement on earlier builds). However, due to the much larger size of the bootable rescue media (especially if you create a combined True Image + Disk Director Suite bootable CD), it's become necessary to reduce the manual split size for TI images as follows:

WinISO + BCDW PROCEDURE (PAGE 2 POST #26)

Reworked version of TI 9.0 Home only Bootable CD - Set manual split size to either 1482MB or 635MB so that up to three or seven .tib files respectively can be dragged into the new compilation window.

Combined reworked version of TI 9.0 Home + Disk Director Suite 10 Bootable CD - Set manual split size to either 1475MB or 632MB so that up to three or seven .tib files respectively can be dragged into the new compilation window.

UltraISO PROCEDURE (PAGE 7 POST #171)

Reworked version of TI 9.0 Home only Bootable CD - Set manual split size to either 1464MB or 628MB so that up to three or seven .tib files respectively can be dragged into UltraISO's upper window.

Combined reworked version of TI 9.0 Home + Disk Director Suite 10 Bootable CD - Set manual split size to either 1450MB or 622MB so that up to three or seven .tib files respectively can be dragged into UltraISO's upper window.

I'm afraid users of the TI 9.1 Corporate series will have to determine their own manual split sizes as I don't use those particular products :p :).

Kind Regards

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  7. vareniky

vareniky Registered Member

Something is not clear for me Menorcaman and it is splitting the image file before including it into the DVD/-+R
    Whay would you split the image? Is it memory problem?
    My current images are 1.56 GB (1,676,674,533 bytes) and don't use Nero but Alcohol. Wonder is there would be a problem burning this ISO image as is?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  8. Menorcaman

Hi vareniky,

The bootable DVDs needs to be burnt as DVD-ROM (ISO) compilations, which have a 2GB max individual file size limitation. We could split the image at 2GB but that would only allow us to fit 4GB (2 chunks) of data on each disk. Splitting the image at the sizes recommended above allows the max amount of data plus the Acronis rescue media to be burnt onto the first DVD. If burning a standard DVD-ROM (ISO) disk without the Acronis bootable rescue media, the recommended split size is 1492MB. This would allow you to burn 3 chunks of the image to each DVD (total of 4,693,426,176 bytes). However, because the first disk in a bootable rescue DVD set also needs to accommodate the Acronis bootable rescue media, we are obliged to use a smaller split size for the whole image.

As your current total image size doesn't exceed the 2GB ISO limitation, there is actually no need for you to split it when creating a bootable DVD :cool:

Regards

9. vareniky

vareniky Registered Member

Thanks for answering my query Menorca
    I thought I was done ok so far and indeed I am the latest image seem to restore ok

10. marcoxcosta

marcoxcosta Registered Member

Media Components to create bootable rescue DVD(s):

I've a trial version.
    I've seen a option for Media Components, where I can include on media boot components like One click Restore Media.
    I've spllited files for 4.3 Gb.
    I see that the best option is 2 Gb or 700 Mb.
    But on the folder where ATI placed the archives I don't see any Boot Folder or any other special file for booting.
    There's only .tib files.
    I've checked all Media Components options.
    I don't get it...?
    Do I need to go through this process with Nero?
    Thank You.

Marco Costa

11. Skyhawk

Menorcaman,

You mention "DVD-ROM (ISO)". In another thread on burning DVDs using the 2 step procedure, I was advised that the copy of the .tib files from the hard drive to DVDs should be done as normal data file recordings. Should the .tib files be burned on DVDs using the image ISO function instead of as normal data files?

The restore process will be:
    - Boot from rescue CD.
    - Restore the DVDs to the hard drive.

I've never created a backup on DVDs before so you can see that I'm confused. I'll be trying the procedure in about a week.
    Thanks,
    Skyhawk

12. Menorcaman

Re: Media Components to create bootable rescue DVD(s):

Hello Marco,

I haven't used this new TI feature yet but adding the Media Components only works for removable media, excluding DVDs.

From the True Image 9.1 Worstation User's Guide:
    So, yes, if you want a bootable TI rescue DVD then I guess you will still need to use one of the above procedures.

Regards

13. Menorcaman

Hi Skyhawk,

No, when using the "two-step" procedure that's mentioned elsewhere, don't use the "burn ISO image" function. Just burn the .tib files as new compilations, either as DVD-ROM (ISO) data disks (max individual file size of 2GB) or DVD-ROM (UDF) data disks (file size limited to 4.3GB per disk because of available space).

If using Nero to burn DVD-ROM (ISO) data disks and you entered 2GB as the manual split size when creating the image onto your hard drive, you will receive an error message stating that the file size exceeds the ISO limit. You would have needed to enter 2000MB as the split image size in order to keep within the ISO limitation. However, as I said in Post #258 above, when burning a normal data Disk it's best to enter a split size of 1492MB and use 3 .tib files per disk for max disk space utilization.

Regards

14. Skyhawk

Thanks for confirming what the other poster said. Burning and restoring DVDs is such a time consuming process that I just wanted to be sure.

Skyhawk

15. cbensinger

cbensinger Registered Member

Worked like a charm for me (and *greatly* sped up my imaging)...

Thanks for the walk through...

Chuck

16. linuxlad

linuxlad Registered Member

OK, using Ultraiso version 8.0.1392 Premium Edition.
    There is no need to extract or reinsert the bif file anymore, this version UI automatically saves it (it automatically backs-up the bootable image file when you open and/or close any iso that is bootable), so all that is needed is to create the bootable rescue media with ATI as you normal would as an iso and save it on your local HDD or whatever and open the iso image with UI and drag the .tib images into it or whatever other files you want and click save......that's it....I have tested it and works perfectly, so UI 8.0 makes it super simple and easy to create an all-in-one DVD or CD Bootable rescue media with the .tib backup images.:)

17. Menorcaman

Hi linuxlad,

Many thanks for that information. I've just downloaded this latest version of UltraISO and will now have a "play" with it. Depending what I find, it may be necessary to post another detailed procedure. In fact, given that the capabiltity for TI to create an ISO of the bootable rescue media has only recently been introduced in the newest versions/builds of TI 9/9.1, we may end up with two procedures in order to cater for earlier versions/builds.

Regards

18. linuxlad

linuxlad Registered Member

I will be testing ATI's Universal recovery within VMware, that was my main reason for creating an all-in-one disc.

19. Menorcaman

Hi all,

As linuxlad found out above, since the release of TI 9.0 Home Build 3567 (and TI 9.1 Corporate series), there is now a slightly easier way of using UltraISO to create bootable rescue DVDs than the one I posted at #171 (with split sizes modified as per Post #256) .

The Acronis Media Builder in TI 9.0 Home Build 3567 (and TI 9.1) can now create a bootable ISO image of the Linux based rescue media. If you also have Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 Build 2115 or higher installed on the same system, the Rescue Media Builder can create a combined TI/DDS10 bootable rescue environment. Unfortunately, at this point in time, TI can't create the bootable ISOs to DVD.

Fortunately, UltraISO versions 7.6.5.1225 and higher (including 8.0.1392 Premium Edition) can utilize this new bootable ISO image to create a bootable rescue DVD as follows:

1. Create a folder on your backup drive or partition e.g. E:\TIbootDVD plus a sub-folder e.g. E:\TIbootDVD\ISO

2. Image your system to the \TIbootDVD folder, specifying a manual split image size of 1456 MB if you intend using the "TI 9.0 Home only" rescue media or 1450 MB if using the "combined TI 9 Home/DDS 10" rescue media. Verify the image file using TI’s Backup Archive Validation Wizard.

3. Use TI 9.0 Home's (build 3567 or higher) Media Builder Wizard to create a bootable ISO image of the required rescue media content to the \TIbootDVD\ISO sub-folder, giving it a suitable name such as BootDVD.iso.

4. Install and run the latest version of <UltraISO>.

5. Click on UltraISO’s “File” menu item, select “Open". In the “Open ISO file” dialogue window, navigate to the \TIBootDVD\ISO sub-folder and double click on the BootDVD.iso file to open it.

6. Load a blank DVD R or RW into your DVD recorder.

7. From UltraISO’s “File” menu item select “Properties” and set the “File System” tab options as per Screenshot 1 below. On the “Label” tab, rename the DVD volume to something meaningful e.g. BootDVD and then click “OK”. In UltraISO’s lower “Local:” window, browse to your \TIbootDVD folder and drag-and-drop up to a maximum of three Acronis .tib files into the upper “Image:” window. UltraISO’s upper “Image:” window should now contain the files and folder shown in Screenshot 2.

8. From the “Tools” menu item select “Burn CD/DVD Image” and at the “File Changed, Save it” prompt click the “Yes” button.

9. After the BootDVD.iso file has been saved, UltraISO should hook into your CD/DVD burning software’s API layer and open the “Burn Image” dialogue window. Set the options as per Screenshot 3 and then click the “Burn” button. I strongly recommend you set the write speed to somewhere around half the maximum of your recorder or DVD media (whichever is the lesser) in order to improve the reliability of the burn. If, after saving the BootDVD.iso file to the \TIbootDVD\ISO\ folder, UltraISO didn't manage to hook into your API layer then use your normal CD/DVD burning software to burn the BootDVD.iso image to DVD manually.

10. Only the first DVD needs to be made bootable. Therefore, if your image spans two or more DVDs, burn the remaining .tib files (up to three per DVD) as normal DVD-ROM (ISO) data compilations via your usual CD/DVD burning software.

11. Boot from the BootDVD disk and use the Backup Archive Validation Wizard to verify the integrity of the image on the DVD(s). Hopefully, it will all check out O.K.

The above procedure should work equally well for user of the TI 9.1 Corporate family but you will need to determine your own maximum split image size (I don't possess any of the TI 9.1 Corporate software so I'm not aware of the size of the rescue media it produces).

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  20. ericlbt

ericlbt Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

Thanks to your advices I was able to create a rescue DVD. :D

I have three questions: o_O
    - At the end of the burning process I got the following message "ASPI Error. Couldn't load wnaspi32.dll! make sure ASPI is properly installed" at the same time another message told me that the DVD had been burned succesfully!!!
    Is there a real problem? :doubt:
    - I tried to restart my laptop with the new rescue DVD and the screen gave me 3 or 4 options (TI workstation full, TI workstation and Windows). I don't remember the exact name of the options.
    Let say I want to reinstall evrything ; I want to get my computer back to the way it was when I burned the DVD.
    Which option should I choose?
    - Once I have created the rescue DVD can I delete the TIbootDVD folder and all its files?

Thank you again. ;)

21. Menorcaman

Hello ericlbt,

I'm not sure what the problem is. What DVD burning software are you using? Have a look at Post #226 on Page 10. In any case, boot from rescue DVD into the TI Full version and use the Archive Validation Wizard to vertify the DVD is bootable and that the image isn't corrupted. If your image spans two or more DVDs then, after booting from the first DVD, you will need to insert the last DVD and follow TI's prompts fopr subsequent disk insertions.

The "Full" version because the "Safe" version may not support your USB devices and certainly will not support PC Cards or SCSI drives.

Yes you can but if TI's .tib image files are on a second drive then I would keep these as a second backup image in case the DVD becomes damaged/corrupt.

Regards

22. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

OT posts removed - this forum section is the Acronis support forum.

23. Menorcaman

Hello all,

The latest builds of True Image now have the capability to image direct to DVD without use of third party UDF packet writing software. When imaging in Windows mode, they also have the capability to include the Acronis Media Components with the image being recorded to DVD (Tools>Default Backup Options>Media Components).

I have just finished testing these new features by successfuly creating full disk/partition images to both DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks that included the full bootable rescue media plus the One-Click Restore. Just bear in mind the current problems and limitations that TI has with imaging direct to DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD+R media (see the thread titled <TI 9.0 Home Build 3633 - Imaging Direct to DVD> and <TI 9 - Build 3633 - Can't span DVD disks> for details of these problems/limitations) although I'm sure Acronis will sort them out soon.

So, given the above developments, I feel inclined to let this long running thread (271 posts and 58,299 views as of now) die a natural death. Goodby old friend, it's been nice knowing you :'(.

Regards

24. Menorcaman

Turns out that my farewell to this thread was somewhat premature :cautious:.

I've since discovered a problem whilst validating a two-volume bootable rescue DVD that's been created on previously erased DVD+RW media. I will raise a new thread on this issue once I've carred out further testing.

I suggest you only use DVD-RW disks if using TI 9.0 Build 3633 to create bootable rescue DVDs direct or else continue to use the tried and tested procedures detailed earlier in this thread, or at least until Acronis sort out the various DVD recording problems.

Regards

25. whosmackey

whosmackey Registered Member

I have a question. In the bootable rescue media builder, you can create a bootable ISO instead of a boot CD. Why wouldn't it work to manually burn that ISO onto a DVD (or a couple of DVDs) with the image and boot from that disk as well as restore from it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.