how long is too long

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by vansouza, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vansouza

vansouza Registered Member

How long is too long to wait for C drive to get locked. I have been waiting for more than 25 min now...

2. bartFan

bartFan Guest

Hi... Is it in any need of defrag'?

3. vansouza

I'll run defrag and try again... thanks...

4. vansouza

Does anyone know what DD does that takes it so long to lock C drive... Partition Magic never, ever takes this long. Of course PM says my C drive is bad and DD has run checks on it and found nothing...

5. vansouza

OK, finished the defrag, it was not that bad ... and ran DD the "Locking" has been running for 15 min. Is the locking ever instant?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vansouza,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Director Suite (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/).

This behavior of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is rather strange. The locking process usually takes only a few seconds to complete.

Could you please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us? This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Please collect the information requested above and contact us from our web-site: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/ . Please don't forget to send the link to this thread along with gathered information. This would allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Vasily Semyonov

7. Ed O

Ed O Registered Member

I'm having the same problem with "locking" taking forever. I let it run all night and finally had to use task manager to stop it.
    I have a HP Pavilion a830n computer running Windows XP SP2. The internal hard drive is a Maxtor 250gig SATA with 2 partitions on it as it comes from HP. The main partition is the C drive but they have included another small partition, the D drive, with all the emergency restore data and programs. It acts as a recovery disk.
    I purchased Acronis Disk Director suite 10.0 on Feb 8, 2006. I can't get it to create a new partition on the C drive. When I try it seems ok until Acronis gets to the step "Locking C partition or drive" (I forget). This step never ends. I've had it running for 8 hours and the only thing you see is the little clock going around and around. What gives?

I have two USB drives, 120 & 160 gigs, and I could create partitions in a snap with the Disk Director. How come I can't do it on the internal drive? Is it already locked or something? Can anyone help?

PS I have Acronis True Image and it is fantastic, that's why I'm so dissapointed with Disk Director!
    Thanks,
    Ed O

8. Acronis Support

Hello Ed,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Having collected these files please submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected file and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

9. Ed O

Ed O Registered Member

Hi Kirill, the problem is now solved and Disk Director is working beyond my expectations. One of the tech support people responded to me saying to uninstall any Norton virus software. To make it work I first had to to go to a restore point (neat feature for winXP) before I even downloaded Acronis Disk Director. I then uninstalled all Norton Internet Security and Virus software, and anything that said Symantec. I reinstalled Disk Director and it ran with no problems at all, and it ran very qiuckly. I've made a number of changes to the partition sizes over the past week and have had no problems. I have now installed a new security system that is provided free from my ISP so I don't know if reinstalling Norton will affect anything.
    Thanks,
    Ed

10. Acronis Support

Hello Ed,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been solved.

Please be aware that this Norton anti-virus software locks the access to you hard drive for all other applications. That is why you were not able to perform partitioning operations using Acronis Disk Director Suite. So if you reinstall Norton software then most likely you will be not able to perform anything with Acronis Disk Director Suite again.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

11. Zardoc

Zardoc Registered Member

Is there a work around to avoid this unnecessary task??

Thanks.

12. Zardoc

Zardoc Registered Member

13. Acronis Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.