Jetico problems

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ghost2003, Nov 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost2003

ghost2003 Registered Member

Im having a lot of problems getting jetico to work. The problem is that it doesnt seem to detect some apps that are running. For example, it never sees firefox. It wont prompt me to make a rule and it wont show in the applications tab. So no matter what rule I set it cant connect to the internet. If I set the firewall to allow all it will work and show up in the application tab but as soon as I set it back to Optimal Protection if I click on a link in FF it will load for half a second and do nothing.
    It works 50/50 with some programs like skype and wont work at all with others like firefox and IE but will work without a problem with others like NOD32. Its really starting to frustrate me.

2. pilotbiffster

pilotbiffster Registered Member

Have you tried resetting the optimal rules back to factory default? Maybe you inadvertently created a rule that is causing the behavior? Just a thought ....

3. ghost2003

I went as far as reinstalling it.

4. ghost2003

I tried again today and now it works. Up to now (now that it works) I like it. Much better that sygate that I was using.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Jetico can be quite good, especially at catching outbound stuff. The trick is to get past all the popups and annoyances. Once you get it configured right, it's really very light with no leaks, and a pretty good choice...

6. NeilTaggert

NeilTaggert Guest

Besides the popups , another problem is the fact it doesn't run as a service.

Among other disadvantages, it wont be protecting you until you log in.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's one thing I suggested to them ages ago, and they said they would make it so, but just never did. Looks like development on it has more or less ceased, which is kinda sad...

8. NeilTaggert

NeilTaggert Guest

Have you tried using one of those service creating utilities to run jetico as a firewall?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nope, never tried anything like that myself.. Do you have any links to one of them perhaps? I am curious about it...

10. NeilTaggert

NeilTaggert Guest

Well, there are lots of such utilities flowing around.

A common use is to package Tor to run as a service, that made me wonder if it could work with Jetico.

But afer doing some research I think it won't work with a firewall.

http://www.iopus.com/guides/srvany.htm

"Due to a restriction enforced by Windows on services, a service program can either be interactive (have a Console, read keyboard input etc) or have network access (but not both at the same time). "

Tor isn't interactive, but Jetico is both interactive and needs network access

But maybe other methods will work, I don't know, I haven't tried.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, thanks. I will check it out later and see what happens..

12. brjoon1021

brjoon1021 Registered Member

I e-mailed them a couple of weeks ago and they assured me that there was a new firewall version coming out in the next couple of months.

B.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That would be cool. Development has slowed considerably, but it's good that it's not stopped altogether then. Good news... :)

14. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Another utility for running programs as services worth looking at is FireDaemon.

Regards,

CrazyM

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks CrazyM, I will check that out as well.

16. ghost2003

As much as I liked it, it is still giving me lots of trouble. And there doesnt seem to be any way to make it work with battlefield 2. Stoping firefox from working again was the last straw for me. Maybe ill try the next version.

17. NeilTaggert

NeilTaggert Guest

First time I tried with srvany.exe it locked up.

But I realised the trick, and now it works and jetico now runs as a service. I will need more testing to see if there are any bugs. But at least one problem solved.

Now if only there is a way to autoupdate md5 hashes...

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Can you say what the trick was?

19. Neiltaggert

Neiltaggert Guest

Cool, make it two 'tricks'. Second one isn't strictly necessary, but makes thing easier and more secure.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

And they are?

21. A nony mouse

A nony mouse Guest

I 've noticed quite a few of these in their latest ver. (1.0.0.61)
    Seems whatever they fixed for windows NT has broken the app detection. You could try the previous version (1.0.0.60) which still keeps working flawlessly for me.

Need some info on how to run it properly as a service so if someone could post some info how they got it to work properly.
    Re: Auto updating md5 hashes
    What I use for these is a workaround by creating a set of rules without any app selected like ones set up for webbrowser and when i change the app I just select it to handle as that set and delete the old one. Its no autoupdate but saves you from recreating all the rules every time.

22. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Just an update on Jetico PF:

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wow, sounds interesting.. If they can tame it a little it might be really cool...

24. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Definately, i'm currently using JPF and am Very happy with it. I had a lot of problems with previous versions, but the current build runs smoothly on my PC. Although the rule-making is unique, it is simple once you get used to it. With an IDS and MAC address filtering this firewall will be awesome. I can't help but wonder how affective it's statefull abilities are though?

25. dukebluedevil

dukebluedevil Registered Member

Yeah JPF2 should be pretty nice so long as they take there time developing it and don't rush it at all, which it seems like there doing which is good. Been using JPF1 ever since I saw it posted here at the beggining of the year and have been loving it since.

I emailed them a few months back on some things and here were there reply.

> - Improved Stateful Inspection - with timeout values,
    > which the user can adjust either in the registry or a
    > file (similar to CHX-I packet filter)
    - Planned, but not implemented yet

> - MAC address filtering
    - Planned, easy to implement

> - Hash updates for new programs
    - Planned.

> - Protocol shown under the Applications tab

> - IP address range & port lists per rule
    - Implemented: IP address ranges lists, port ranges lists,
    protocols lists, events lists, etc.

> - Option to turn off non-traffic logs (i.e. Policy
    > "Optimal Protection" loaded, Firewall Shutdown
    > Completed, ect.)
    - Logging system is rewritten from scratch. Message filtering
    by log level is planned.

> - Improved rule editor window without the tree
    > structure and that is larger by default so that its
    > easier and faster to create rules.
    - Implemented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.